[06/16/17] The Greenwood Chronicles

Discussion in '2017 LitRPG Books' started by Paul Bellow, Jun 20, 2017.

1. Paul Bellow

Paul Bellow Forum Game Master Staff Member LitRPG Author Shop Owner Citizen Aspiring Writer

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    B072KWHDL8.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg This is a compendium of five books adding up to over a quarter of a million LitRPG words!

The Greenwood is a virtual reality MMO. There is a lot of humor with larger than life (some awful) characters. The stories are full of action, PVP, dungeon delving and army level combat. They also don't take themselves too seriously and promise no uplifting moral points.

The hero Barcud is a ranger who levels up and makes friends, builds towns, leads armies, engages in PVP.

Other notable characters are the psychopathic Harald Runesmith, a crafter of runes.

The shifty thief Jimmy the Zit.

The wise Druid, Rohan.

Black Metal Loving Ajora who transforms into a polar bear for combat.

The flamboyant and powerful killer bard Romeo el Mejor.

The Greenwood Chronicles compendium includes books 1-5 of The Greenwood LitRPG series:

Including:
    • A Player in the Greenwood
    • The Runesmith
    • War in the Greenwood
    • The Bard
    • Plague in the Greenwood
    Praise for the Greenwood Series:

A Player in the Greenwood: “Exceptionally well told story, great background and plot line, characters that are almost alive and good levels of rpg knowledge” “One interesting story element was a detailed system of poisons, which I rarely see.”

The Runesmith: “A great read, I cannot recommend it highly enough.” “a thoroughly despicable character with no redeeming qualities.”

"War in the Greenwood: “this is a great follow on from the previous book.” “A good mix of action and RTS elements”

The Bard: "The characters are fun. The story flows well. The humor is very tongue in cheek"

http://amzn.to/2tqV1wn

2. CheshirePhoenix

CheshirePhoenix Crazy Hermit on the Hill LitRPG Author Beta Reader Citizen Editor Aspiring Writer

96%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I actually get a mention in this book.

Well, not ME, per se, but a character was pretty obviously (and thinly) disguised as the character I played on the MUD that this is based on. Still, my intimate familiarity with the base game (Avalon: the Legend Lives for you other MUDders out there) made it difficult for me to enjoy the book and so this is one of those rare books that I abandoned unfinished.

For those who aren't familiar with the game it's based on, give it a shot. Just because Barcud and I didn't get along in game doesn't mean I don't want him to succeed - I just can't tell you much about the story he wrote seeing as how I didn't make it past the first book.