[07/30/17] Fjorgyn: The Deep Below

Discussion in '2017 LitRPG Books' started by RJ Castiglione, Jul 31, 2017.

1. RJ Castiglione

RJ Castiglione Level 8 (Thug) LitRPG Author Citizen

2%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Just went up in e-book format. Paperbook coming soon.

For those of you who read book one, book two will prove an acceptable treat. It's nearly twice as long and features three new dungeons, compared to book one that only had one dungeon.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074DPNPJG

After a hair-raising flight from Elatha, Michael and his allies find themselves holed up in a remote region in Fjorgyn, surrounded by potential enemies. They must rid themselves of the threat of an unfriendly horde of goblins while they discover the reasons behind a dire threat in the forested realm around them. They must do all this while feeling alone and abandoned in this harsh world.

Although he wants nothing more to do with going underground and always fighting for his life, the threat of a pursuing Elathian army headed by the cruel king, Ankou Levent, requires Michael jump into action to protect his allies, his friends, and Clifford, the man he loves.

It isn't long until they hear rumors of a demonic beast plaguing the countryside, corrupting harmless creatures and bending them to its will. Michael leaps into action to protect his allies and to discover the sinister secret behind this beast's sudden arrival.

So pick it up and read an untraditional LitRPG novel that combines the best of the author's favorite genres: Plenty of adventure, some romance, a dash of eroticism, and a whole lot of fantasy RPG gaming.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2017
    Paul Bellow likes this.
  2. Paul Bellow

Paul Bellow Forum Game Master Staff Member LitRPG Author Shop Owner Citizen Aspiring Writer

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
  3. RJ Castiglione

RJ Castiglione Level 8 (Thug) LitRPG Author Citizen

2%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Thanks, Paul. :)

I'm looking forward to reading ToG as well. Congratulations to you on the late-July release :)

Paul Bellow likes this.
  4. Paul Bellow

Paul Bellow Forum Game Master Staff Member LitRPG Author Shop Owner Citizen Aspiring Writer

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    20k into book three. ;)

5. CheshirePhoenix

CheshirePhoenix Crazy Hermit on the Hill LitRPG Author Beta Reader Citizen Editor Aspiring Writer

96%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I actually just finished this book, and read it directly after finishing the first one.

I read both books in an afternoon. I mean yeah, I'm a prolific reader, but these were pretty solid books. I was hesitant to pick them up at first because in my experience, "a dash of eroticism" usually means "about a third of the novel is going to be wish fulfillment sex scenes" - but I ran out of other things to read so figured eh, what the hell.

Color me pleasantly surprised to find out that wasn't the case in either book. Color me even more pleasantly surprised to discover that the writing is solid and the characters were believable, for the most part.

I only had three issues. First, damn son, that's a HUGE character sheet, and it gets posted very frequently. And when the MC started looking through talent/perk/whatever trees, every option was described with the game tooltip in verbose mode. Third, there's a bit of Marty Stu happening - along with the requisite deus ex machine chain of never meeting a situation that the MC wasn't already given the tools to overcome a few pages before.

It kind of takes dramatic tension and throws it a bit out the window, but the writing quality kept me sticking around for more.

Paul Bellow and Felicity Weiss like this.