[08/06/17] Beyond All Expectations: Emerilia Book 8

Discussion in '2017 LitRPG Books' started by Paul Bellow, Aug 8, 2017.

1. Paul Bellow

Paul Bellow Forum Game Master Staff Member LitRPG Author Shop Owner Citizen Aspiring Writer

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    B074MJY8RX.01.MZZZZZZZ.jpg The Event of Myths and Legends has started! The first spawn points have started to open, issuing forth creatures and people that were banished from Emerilia long ago.

Dave and the Pandora’s Box group are advancing their plans and building projects as fast as possible. When an opportunity arises to take their projects to the next level they’re going to have to use all of their tricks and crafting abilities in order to seize it.

The Stone Raiders and the Terra Alliance that they have formed will undergo it’s first baptism, the time of peace has ended.

In this event they need to be the strongest to protect what they care for. Either they will die again and again losing levels and people of Emerilia, or they will be able to stand, their strength growing to new heights.

http://amzn.to/2wpUQ5E

2. Paul Bellow

Paul Bellow Forum Game Master Staff Member LitRPG Author Shop Owner Citizen Aspiring Writer

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Typo... @Michael_Chatfield

3. Felicity Weiss

Felicity Weiss Musey Muse Muse Shop Owner Citizen

62%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Oregon
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    VRRanger likes this.
  4. Paul Bellow

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    VRRanger likes this.
  5. DJ Schinhofen

DJ Schinhofen Creator of Worlds. LitRPG Author Roleplaying Citizen Aspiring Writer

21%
    xp:
    Zone:
    The Void
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Its kind of like people with Litrpg hitting cyberpunk, even though the book doesn't really met that genre. One of the reasons I mark my books just flat genres, as I feel a little dirty when I did that with my first book. If others do it that is fine, I just won't go for the easy #1 ranking. Which is kind of dumb over all as a #1 ranking gets you greater presence with the Zon.

6. Felicity Weiss

62%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Oregon
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Honestly, everyone should do what they can to get the genre out there more. Don't feel dirty, Dj!

I'm just showing off my sluething skills, certainly not making any judgements about category usage. Someday, Amazon will give you guys a LitRPG category. Until then, it's Wild Wild West time, yeehaw!

Last edited: Aug 9, 2017
    Paul Bellow likes this.
  7. Paul Bellow

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I think Kong had a bisexual scene in one of his book so he tagged it as Transgender Sci-Fi and got a best seller tag.

From the reviews I'm getting - this is so YOUNG ADULT - I think I'm in the right categories.

I'm more fantasy and coming of age than cyberpunk or sci-fi.

I'm not sure the best-seller tag helps much, but maybe? Like Google, the Amazon algos likely look at a long list of factors to decide which books to promote internally - results from the NLs they send out, read-through percentage on borrows, total number of reviews, in addition to all the sales data.

8. Felicity Weiss

62%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Oregon
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I don't know how it helps with promotion within the amazon system, but the tag really cements itself in the readers mind. A lot of readers are completely oblivious to the category system and how the best seller tag works. I suspect they assume, oh, top 100 overall or somesuch.

Paul Bellow likes this.
  9. Paul Bellow

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Yeah. USA Today and NY Times "letters" are the next level of tag chasing. For that you need to be out of KU and wide, however.

Anyway, back to Emerilia - a well-loved LitRPG series!

p.s. reader feedback is always appreciated. ty.

10. DJ Schinhofen

DJ Schinhofen Creator of Worlds. LitRPG Author Roleplaying Citizen Aspiring Writer

21%
    xp:
    Zone:
    The Void
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I love Emerilia, just going to take me a bit to get there to read it. With editing two books, writing a third and a full-time job, my time is badly eaten up.

Paul Bellow likes this.
  11. Crowbaits

Crowbaits Level 9 (Burgler) Roleplaying Beta Reader Citizen

62%
    xp:
    Zone:
    England - not New - the old one across the pond
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I have read it and, like all its predecessors it is very good. Without giving away spoilers, I can really only say that all the plot lines advance; some pregnancies are completed; some plots are thwarted; there are tragedies & triumphs; a new portal is discovered and captured; Terra and the Stone Raiders grow; Dave is even more awesome and I really can't wait for the next book!

Paul Bellow and Felicity Weiss like this.
  12. CheshirePhoenix

CheshirePhoenix Crazy Hermit on the Hill LitRPG Author Beta Reader Citizen Editor Aspiring Writer

96%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I was a huge fan of the Emerilia books, up through book 5 or 6. The release schedule has sped up quite a bit and the quality has dropped off considerably.

Some non-spoiler specifics: quests that are dropped or changed without notice from book to book, quality of the writing - sentence structure in particular - and dropped/forgotten plot points that were major when introduced.

Something I noticed in Emerilia 8 was that it almost looked like an ARC. The chapter headers were even all prefixed with BAE (Beyond All Expectations).

It got better in the second half, but the choppy sentences really gave me pause in reading it. I finished it and will pick up Emerilia 9 when it drops, but I hope it gets more time in the oven with beta readers and editors.

Paul Bellow likes this.