[08/20/17] Shaman's Revenge (The Way of the Shaman: Book #6) LitRPG Series

Discussion in '2017 LitRPG Books' started by Felicity Weiss, Aug 20, 2017.

1. Felicity Weiss

Felicity Weiss Musey Muse Muse Shop Owner Citizen

62%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Oregon
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    PLACEHOLDER UNTIL PAUL RESCUES THIS POST

Last edited: Aug 22, 2017
    Paul Bellow likes this.
  2. Felicity Weiss

62%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Oregon
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Hi! I noticed the super awesome release of the final installment for Way of the Shaman has the coveted orange tag, and it's for '#1 New Release in Cyberpunk Science Fiction'.

The #1 bestseller in this category is of course, Ready Player One.

So my question is, how does Amazon dole out the numbah jaun new release tag? JC, thanks.

Btw, reading it now and lurvinggggggg it.

3. Felicity Weiss

62%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Oregon
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Anyone, no one? Number one?

Paul Bellow likes this.
  4. Paul Bellow

Paul Bellow Forum Game Master Staff Member LitRPG Author Shop Owner Citizen Aspiring Writer

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    New Release list, AFAIK, is based on first 30 days sales of a book. So, books older than 30 days won't appear on the Hot New REleases (HNR) list.

Felicity Weiss likes this.
  5. Felicity Weiss

62%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Oregon
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    You da man! ty =)

6. Readsalot

Readsalot Level 13 (Assassin) Citizen

68%
    xp:
    Zone:
    South Africa
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Yes! I've been waiting for this.

7. CheshirePhoenix

CheshirePhoenix Crazy Hermit on the Hill LitRPG Author Beta Reader Citizen Editor Aspiring Writer

96%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Wait, there's not going to be a book 7?

8. Readsalot

Readsalot Level 13 (Assassin) Citizen

68%
    xp:
    Zone:
    South Africa
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Really enjoyed this and then felt completely let down by the ending. It was so abrupt and quick, pretty much a "with one giant leap" - it almost felt as if Vasily Mahanenko just got tired of the series, the story and the characters and suddenly decided: Enough. Pity, because this was one of my favourite series and now I feel that I can't in good conscience recommend it to anyone.

9. CheshirePhoenix

CheshirePhoenix Crazy Hermit on the Hill LitRPG Author Beta Reader Citizen Editor Aspiring Writer

96%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I thought book 7 was written and just waiting on translation though? Because otherwise, yeah I can see what you mean. That'd be one hell of an abrupt ending.

I haven't read it yet though. I give myself a strict monthly book allowance and I've already burned it this month. It refreshes a week from Friday and I'll read it then.

10. Felicity Weiss

62%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Oregon
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I thought this was the final installment, however I am hearing that there is another book. When I or someone else finds out for sure otherwise, will post here. Just finished it. Whew. What a rollercoaster.

It went from 5 stars to 4 due to the ending, but the meat of the story was immensely satisfying. Om nom nom!

Paul Bellow and CheshirePhoenix like this.
  11. CheshirePhoenix

96%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I read the first three chapters online at the publisher's blog and yeah. It looks really good so far.

Felicity Weiss and Paul Bellow like this.
  12. Kidlike101

Kidlike101 Level 18 (Magician) Citizen

25%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Did you guys read book 6 yet?

I'm one of the few that liked the ending to book 5 but when I heard it was going to get redconed in the next two books I thought I'd drop the series, he was getting filler heavy...

I'm hearing good things about 6 though this is coming from people who hated the ending to 5 so... not sure... I like evil plots and that girlfriend was too unreal to fall for him, a prisoner (I have a low opinion in people, does it show?)

13. CheshirePhoenix

96%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    It seemed like a pretty realistic relationship to me. The ending to book 5 really threw me, as I didn't see it coming at all.

That and it was a REALLY abrupt paradigm shift - Mahan went from hero to zero in about two minutes flat and there was no foreshadowing at all.

14. Paul Bellow

Paul Bellow Forum Game Master Staff Member LitRPG Author Shop Owner Citizen Aspiring Writer

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I've heard he had a contract to do X books, so he had to wrap it up? I know he has that second series now (Dark Paladin...)

I've noticed a few LitRPG authors who listen to the majority of their audience and try to shape the story to their whims - and maybe some of that happened with the short story insert between the two books?

I'm trying to plan out a lot of the series before-hand so I don't fall into that trap and also the one of unfinished story/quest threads throughout all the books. Sometimes I think certain authors are just going willy-nilly from one book to another. I've noticed with Kong that whatever his fans complained loudest about in the last book, he overcompensates in the next. So, if they said no action in the last one, the next one is ALL ACTION. etc.

Just some observations...

15. CheshirePhoenix

96%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Eh, I don't really pay attention to stuff that goes on behind the scenes like that. I read books once they're released into the wild and either like them for what they are, or dislike them, again for what they are.

Pretty sure Mahanenko has both Dark Herbalist and Dark Paladin, no? Herbalist appeals to me WAY more than Paladin. Can't really put my finger on why, though.

Felicity Weiss and Paul Bellow like this.
  16. Felicity Weiss

62%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Oregon
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Dark Herbalist is by another Russian author, unless you are saying it's a pseudonym of Vasilys?

Paul Bellow likes this.
  17. CheshirePhoenix

96%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Oh ho, that explains why they're both so different then!

I'm terrible with names. I've actually forgotten my own at least once, and while I was sober no less.

Paul Bellow and Felicity Weiss like this.
  18. Kidlike101

Kidlike101 Level 18 (Magician) Citizen

25%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Actually he had hinted at that ending since book two.

Apparently he had a contract for a 7 part series but thought it was for 5 only, when he realized the mistake it I guess the later books started to suffer. I mean book 3 was pure filler and 4-5 repeated things from book 2 without adding anything to the story.

Also how can their relationship be a natural one? He is a prisoner with litterally nothing, she comes from a good family and her father is a business tycoon, the only way this would make sense was if she wanted something from him (aka book 5's ending)

from what I heard though he's going back on that and making her the loving girlfriend that is trying to look out for him as there is a greater evil lurking, she'd rather be hated then see him hurt *barfs*!! too... saccharine!!!!

The Dark Herbiliest is another author, I started reading that then jumped ship, the translation wasn't as good as way of the shaman and Fayroll.

Paul Bellow likes this.
  19. CheshirePhoenix

96%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    So what if she's pretty and rich and he's broke and ugly? I don't think people are that shallow. He intrigued her and the relationship grew out of that interest and him challenging her despite the differences in their station.

In book 2 they were in direct competition and pulling brinksmanship games. It's not exactly a hint that she's eventually going to bring his world crashing down around him - she's a competitive person by nature and he challenges her to a competition in her favorite game. And even if it was foreshadowing, in a game where the AI can literally read your intentions before you do, the whole yin yang thing was a pretty blatant nod at it being a *real* relationship where they both loved each other.

Granted on the saccharine bit. Like I said, the entire book 5 ending seems abrupt and contrived and I don't really have much of anything to say about it.

I didn't notice any problems with the translation in Dark Herbalist. Maybe you're thinking of the "goblin-speak"? It makes sense in context, but reading broken English (intentional or not) is difficult. It gets better when he just mentions his normal speech-to-goblin speech translator instead of trying to force us to slog through it.

20. Felicity Weiss

62%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Oregon
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Way of the Shaman translation really is stellar. The contrast of quality between Dark Paladin and Way of the Shaman is worlds apart.

As for Fayroll, hrmmm, ermm, I'm too distracted by how utterly Russian this book is to make a quality call. I'll get back to you when I crack open book three. *shoutout to paul*

CheshirePhoenix likes this.