WIP A Roll Of The Dice (Eternity Wars Book 1) (Formerly called "Fantasy Hero in the Real World?")

Discussion in 'Works in Progress' started by SamuelKKauffman, Sep 24, 2018.

1. SamuelKKauffman

SamuelKKauffman Level 13 (Assassin) LitRPG Author Roleplaying Shop Owner Citizen Aspiring Writer

70%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Pacific Standard Time (UTC -8)
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    The first book in what was originally going to be a Light Novel series contest entry. I'm now turning this into something that may as well be seen as a true Japanophile's dream project... while at the same time making it a LitRPG series.

...what else do I need to share with this project?

TravisBach, LWFlouisa and Yuli Ban like this.
  2. SamuelKKauffman

SamuelKKauffman Level 13 (Assassin) LitRPG Author Roleplaying Shop Owner Citizen Aspiring Writer

70%
    xp:
    Zone:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Finally beginning the outlining process. This is gonna be a major pain in the ass for me when I already have so many projects to work on at a single time.

On a side note, I plan to outline the first four books before I start writing them out, while working to decide if I want to write more than four books before I finish writing book two.

TravisBach likes this.
  3. SamuelKKauffman

70%
    xp:
    Zone:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Well... progress is slow and incremental. I think this is where I say I need to make sure I don't screw this up.

Initially, I was planning on there being three heroes for the first book, but I'm redoing my plans for that idea. It's because, well... I was inspired, shall we say. I had been reading Light Novels lately.

Now, about the reason why it's taking me this long to make an update in this thread, let me be honest. I have so many projects going on at once it's not even funny. I think I should purge a few of my projects... but what to purge? That's the million dollar question.

In any case, I'll keep everyone posted, to be sure.

TravisBach and LWFlouisa like this.
  4. SamuelKKauffman

70%
    xp:
    Zone:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    ...more than a month without an update. How pathetic can I possibly get at this rate? I need a fire lit under my ass to get back on track.

Anyway, I'm in the process of planning this from the beginning, to be sure. I should have already finished the outline by now, true, but I never got that far ahead... ouch. I'm still gonna work on it.

Paul Bellow likes this.
  5. SamuelKKauffman

70%
    xp:
    Zone:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Ugh... status report on my end. With a lot of issues on my end, including the lack of working internet on my tower computer, I've been without a chance to get to write my stuff. I'm going to rectify that right now.

6. Joshua Bender

Joshua Bender Level 7 (Cutpurse) LitRPG Author Citizen

14%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Eastern Standard Time (Est)
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    My advice is to just start writing. Whenever I hit a road block in my work, and can't figure out where to start I just start writing short stories, etc. I used to keep a blog and do that sort of thing, but these days I've kept my work centered around one fictional universe rather than doing little short stories about any old thing. While my series is a bit rough, the more I write in my universe the more my world building give me a definite direction to take characters, and the better I understand and work out issues with technology, magic, etc.

TravisBach likes this.
  7. SamuelKKauffman

70%
    xp:
    Zone:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Thank you for the advice. Honestly, I'm a plotter more than a pantser, but I can appreciate the advice you've given me. I'll definitely keep it all in mind.

TravisBach likes this.
  8. Joshua Bender

Joshua Bender Level 7 (Cutpurse) LitRPG Author Citizen

14%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Eastern Standard Time (Est)
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Yea, I'm more of a freewriter. When people ask me if I go off a plot I crack up laughing and look at my cluttered cork board next to my desk filled with post-it notes, yarn and sections with big black Xs on it. I just write, and then I rewrite, etc. That said, my messy approach to writing isn't for everyone and you do notice that I turned my first book of my series into a minefield of plot holes, etc as my world building matured over the next three books.

The thing is, with me I can't stop writing or I tend to lose track of my characters and world. Writing about them in short stories, or just writing backstory is what helps me develop my world and keep track of stuff and also gives me multiple directions to take my work if I hit writer's block in one direction.

9. SamuelKKauffman

70%
    xp:
    Zone:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I feel a similar way to you, to be honest. Personally, I have trouble remembering some of the plot points I want to put into my stories if I've been away from any of them for a sufficient amount of time. That's why I tend to plot things out in advance if I can help it. I don't want to forget anything major if I can help it.

10. SamuelKKauffman

70%
    xp:
    Zone:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Okay, more work done on this story project, but not nearly enough for me to say I'm happy with how the story's layout is gonna be. I decided to put the story on Royal Road as big chunks at a time, but I still need to know what happens about three story arcs ahead of time. As it stands, I'm currently in story arc number two, and I'm not even close to done with that arc yet. I have in mind that the first story arc is four chapters (plus the prologue), while the second and third arcs are longer by a fair margin. How long, you ask? Well, try fifteen and twenty chapters respectively. I need to get all the content I can squeezed into the first book, then move onto the second book, and so on. I want to make this be a decently sized series... with some of the Royal Road stories split into separate books for ease of publication to the Amazon customers.

In other news, I am officially preparing to have fun tomorrow at my MTG group's hangout, the reason being for the Pre-Release of the second half of the new Ravnica set that came out a few months ago. Expect sporadic updates for this because of that.

11. SamuelKKauffman

70%
    xp:
    Zone:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Well, getting my groove on for planning this story, to be 100% accurate. I just need to get all the characters I need planned for the first few arcs... among other things.

Also, is it just me, or is 480k words too much for a book in web serial format?

12. Katastrophe

Katastrophe Level 9 (Burgler) LitRPG Author Fantasy Author Citizen

72%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Eh, I think what's "too long" is entirely a subjective thing. People who are used to gobbling up epic fanfictions will be fine with something that long, but others might want it shorter. Or as my husband says: "If a book is good I don't want it to end. Take your 50K short stories and get them out of my face."

He's the guy who can easily read 480k in like, a day. A day that includes work and other obligations.

IMO if the story works at the length it is and nothing can really be cut without hurting it...then it's the length it needs to be. Traditions or common wisdom be damned.

13. SamuelKKauffman

70%
    xp:
    Zone:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I get the point. Honestly, I should've been more along the lines of worried how to split it into reasonable chunks, instead... and where to split the chunks at.

14. SamuelKKauffman

70%
    xp:
    Zone:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Updated the name of the book, based on feedback I had gotten a while ago, but never properly implemented here. Hopefully I can be more able to get the right titles for my stories sooner.

Now, in terms of word count progress, I had gotten the first 900 words down last night. I hope to continue the process of writing this down ASAP... but I also need to gather all of my ideas for the book's outline. This is going to be problematic.

15. SamuelKKauffman

70%
    xp:
    Zone:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Okay, maybe I should start being more consistent in updating this thread. After a bit of time away from the rough draft of my novel, I decided to cut 337 words from the prologue, which was all I had anything in. I didn't like where I was going with the direction, in all honesty.

Now, instead of being at roughly 900 words (more like 907 words), I am at 622 words at the time of this post. More details incoming as I outline the rest of the book and the books to come.

16. nightwriter

nightwriter Level 9 (Burgler) Citizen

74%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I was going through similar process. The more I thought, the more troubles I saw. I also took good bit of what I thought was my first chapter. But it hurts and it doesnt help with anything, so I decided I am not going to obsess with the text anymore. Nowadays I just sit down, write my daily quota and save the document. All I care about is that I visualize the immediate scene so that I know what to write for next half an hour.

The main thing for me was feeling OK with the key scenes and the overall plot. That still feels fine and I have to trust that feeling otherwise I will never finish the story.

Maybe it'll be crap and maybe it will be ok, I don't know. But if I keep changing it on the go I will go mad and it never gets written.

17. SamuelKKauffman

70%
    xp:
    Zone:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I understand what you mean... and, while I should be asleep by now, I felt like giving a quick update on how many words I have since yesterday (technically). I'm now at 1404 words.

18. nightwriter

nightwriter Level 9 (Burgler) Citizen

74%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Perfect! Make sure you reward yourself for sticking to the grind!

19. SamuelKKauffman

70%
    xp:
    Zone:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I probably should've gotten more sleep than I did... but I'm back to work now.

20. SamuelKKauffman

70%
    xp:
    Zone:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    ...stupid breaks from working on this. I hate this a whole lot! :mad:

*ahem* Current progress is at about 13,500 words. Just figured I'd let you guys know that.

Yuli Ban and Herko Kerghans like this.