A Story of the Web and the comics out there

Discussion in 'Comics & Graphic Novels' started by Seagrim, Aug 14, 2017.

1. Seagrim

Seagrim Level 18 (Magician) LitRPG Author Citizen

35%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Girl Genius is a comic that started in print then moved to the Web and yet, is still available in printed form.

Phil and Kaja Foglio have been working on this webcomic since the first strip was posted on 11/04/2002. It's now been running new pages three times a week for almost fifteen years. The best part? The story is still just as engaging and interesting as it's been since day one. Girl Genius is just that good.

The world setting is been described by Kaja Foglio as Gaslamp Fantasy, a form of Victorian era Steampunk with elements of fantasy. Set in an alternate history of Europe which had been ravaged by years of warring between Mad Scientists, we have dropped into this Agatha Clay, who soon finds out her real name is Heterodyne. The Heterodynes were known as particularly nasty and vicious Madmen until the previous generation, Bill, and Barry, the Heterodyne Boys who traveled the world as Heros.

This is the only webcomic I've followed for this many years, having begun reading it when they tried to get it started as an independent comic. For me, it's been gold, and, a wonderful example of how to create a long term serial story. I'm going to highly recommend this as a good story to read, and, one that has much to teach about the fine art of long term storytelling.

A link to page one. Beware, it's very addictive.

As a side note, Bill and Barry Heterodyne first appeared as characters in a small one short story in the now very defunct print comic Grim Jack.

http://www.girlgeniusonline.com/comic.php?date=20021104#.WZFAIFGGOUk

Paul Bellow and VRRanger like this.
  2. Matthew Siege

Matthew Siege Level 10 (Filcher) LitRPG Author Citizen

58%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I met the creators when they won their Hugo award in Melbourne. Their happiness was contagious. :) Haven't tried the comic yet, though. Perhaps I shall...

VRRanger and Seagrim like this.
  3. Seagrim

Seagrim Level 18 (Magician) LitRPG Author Citizen

35%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I strongly urge it. It's a good story and a great example of non-traditional publishing. It's the only webcomic I have been following for years.

VRRanger likes this.