Accidental Bad Ass

Discussion in 'Anime, Manga, Light Novels' started by Matthew James, Jul 5, 2017.

1. Matthew James

Matthew James Blind Beholder Beta Reader Citizen

38%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Angel Densetsu and Transfer Student Stormbringer were two fun reads I tried years back, any other stories that go way over the top with this sort of trope?

Think it would make for a hilarious LitRPG world where someone gets drawn into epic doings as a total unskilled newb, but fall ass backwards into success everytime.

Asakust and Seagrim like this.
  2. Seagrim

Seagrim Level 18 (Magician) LitRPG Author Citizen

35%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I thought that was almost half of the LitRPG out there? Except with a harem.

3. Matthew James

38%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Written to be funny VS incidentally funny VS not entertaining at all

Attack of the Killer Tomatoes VS The Blob VS Scary Movie 17

XXX-Files and Rubber (2010) have their own charm, the parodies that know they're parodies can deliver surreal B Movie plots or 32Ds with equal merit to those who enjoy those sort of things.

I meant literally falling ass backwards into success without actually doing anything and having the world react as though they are incredible, while they themselves know they are total incompetents. Overlord has a little bit of this with the MC always bluffing his way into having his minions explain his reasoning, but that story is a little too OP for the fun characters involved. Which for the sadists out there is probably part of the fun.

The most recent and brutal example of the opposite of this trope that I've seen has been Goblin Slayer, but it features the typical violence towards women stuff that I don't go in for like in Akama ga Kill (same distributor even I think), sexual assaults that just happens to feature a tits down ass up pose. I nope out when that stuff starts showing up. Reminds me that the one serial killer dude in Japan who ate his neighbor and fertilized her remains in the bathtub is still walking free.

Not that I have a problem with violence against women (in entertainment mediums...), Game of Thrones has plenty of disturbing scenes with women. The Red Wedding for example, and of course precocious serial killer Joffrey's crossbow practice.

But sometimes just a bit of innocent high octane fun would be nice... with or without the harem.

Seagrim likes this.
  4. Asakust

Asakust Level 9 (Burgler) Citizen Aspiring Writer

40%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Have you tried Campione? Although the MC does eventually get serious, it still feels like he's just incredibly lucky at the end.

Matthew James likes this.
  5. Matthew James

38%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I'll check it out, thanks for the tip!

6. Readsalot

Readsalot Level 13 (Assassin) Citizen

68%
    xp:
    Zone:
    South Africa
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Gotta admit, I prefer mine the other way around. Two of my favourite anime series are Hajime no Ippo and Kenichi, The Mightiest Disciple. Both of them are about meek students who always get bullied and then start learning how to fight and defend themselves, becoming ridiculously strong in the process.

Paul Bellow and Matthew James like this.