Aether Seeds (Not Aleron Kong, just an idea for a series i had

Discussion in 'Not The Land' started by Commander Azure, Feb 27, 2020.

1. Commander Azure

Commander Azure Level 8 (Thug) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen Aspiring Writer

12%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Yeah, so I decided to create a new thread for this. Does anyone have any ideas for any Music Seed abilities?

2. Andrew Lynas

Andrew Lynas Level 9 (Burgler) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

76%
    xp:
    Zone:
    UK
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Soothing/Soporific Music that can place someone either Calm someone down, place them in a Tranquil State or make them fall Asleep. At higher levels maybe able to make someone slight more susceptible to suggestions. Can help to counter strong emotions.

Emotional Stimulating Music that can increase the Emotional State of someone, can help to generate happiness, sadness, fear, anger, ect.

Dancing Fever, cm create a strong urge to Dance, effect gets stronger with higher Levels till it becomes a Compulsion to Dance.

Invigorating Music, gives Physical Energy and increases Recovery of Stamina, Mana, ect. Higher Levels can temporary bloody Health recovery.

Sonic Damage Music, Music that causes Pain, Disorientation and Sonic Damage.

3. ShoughtLoud

ShoughtLoud Level 9 (Burgler) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

92%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Voice Throw - making it appear your voice originates from elsewhere. Not only good for distraction, but in combat it could be especially disorienting. There are even more sinister applications if they can learn to whisper with the technique.

Multi-tonal singing /playing - by manipulating sound waves they can cause notes to ring linger in the audience's ears making it seem like they are using many notes at a time. Would allow them to play with dissonant frequencies, and harmonics. Let's you play around with physics too. One able to control high enough pressure waves could be pretty devesating.

4. Andrew Lynas

76%
    xp:
    Zone:
    UK
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Voice Throwing can also be used to be heard a greater distances, to secretly deliver a message and to help be heard in the battle field.

5. Dragon

Dragon Level 11 (Thief) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

42%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Ever played darkest dungeon? This is an idea I had from said game :)

An active effect that helps people avoid forming trauma by reducing stress and tension in a group, continously costing mana and stamina. Cost does not scale with the size of the group unlike other similar abilities but has lower effects, making it suited for largescale "soothing" on a daily basis, but not for treatment. Without such effects, combat stress continues to build until the majority can no longer cope with it and crack under the pressure. Maybe a stress bar that is extended by increasing wisdom?

On a sidenote, i'm considering a similar system for several of my own worlds so do not sue me for copying yours if you ever get published.

Last edited: Feb 29, 2020
    ShoughtLoud likes this.
  6. Andrew Lynas

76%
    xp:
    Zone:
    UK
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    It's A bit like the Sanity Meter in the Lovecraft Games.

7. Dragon

42%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Basically yes, without the whole unknowable beings make you insane just by existing because I consider that to have two scenarios.

One, its bullshit, they aren't actually that far ahead and are using some kind of mental attack.

Two, they are that far ahead and there is literally nothing humans can do other than hope some other race intercedes on our behalf.

8. Dragon

42%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    So how is this thing going? Do we dare ask what kind of setup you are working on?

9. Commander Azure

12%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Can you please clarify that question?

10. Dragon

42%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Certainly :)
    1) Please do not tell us anything you are not ready to share yet.
    2) How far along with the story are you?
    3) What kind of setting? I assume some form of Litrpg, with exp levelling and basic mana/stamina/health bars since that was on the character sheet. But is it going to be post apocalyptic, changed earth, new earth, other earth, hidden world, alternative world/dimension/timeline etc.? Singleworld, multiple connected worlds, multiverse, shard-world/universe?

11. Commander Azure

12%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Thanks. I was really confused at first.
    I literally just started writing this, so I'm probably like 3/4 ish done with chapter 1. If I actually end up publishing this (I want to a lot, but it may not work out) it probably won't be for a while because I have to go to school for most of the day. Although, when I finish my work early, this is my go-to project. It's going to be some sort of alternate dimension, though I haven't worked out all the details yet. For the foreseeable future of the series, the MC is going to spend most of his time in one world, with the exception of the Aether World/Realm occasionally (Heir of Aether stuff). It will be pretty normal litrpg in the sense that you level up, get stat points, etc.

ShoughtLoud and Dragon like this.
  12. ShoughtLoud

ShoughtLoud Level 9 (Burgler) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

92%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Sounds awesome

13. Commander Azure

12%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Okay, so in the 'tutorial' I have some being (no spoilers) explaining what Core Status is.
    a) Does the paragraph below explain it well enough?
    b) If there is anything unclear, what is it?
    NOTE: The stat sheet is linked here: Litrpg statsheet for Æther Seeds (Tentative title)
    Btw I don't know for sure what the planet will be called yet, so I'm referring to it as PLACE_NAME.

“Your level I have already explained to you. Now, for your Core. Every sapient denizen of PLACE_NAME begins life with a Seed of a specific type, normally reflecting their personality. As you level up your Core, your seed will evolve into a Stem, a Bud, a Bloom, and so forth. In addition, leveling up your Core will grant you new abilities. Also, your Core effects your magic. Whatever level your core is, that much is added to your level in your Core Magic, and then that new amount is multiplied by one plus the stage you are on. So, your skill level in Æther Magic currently would be two. But for an Æther Stem of Core level 18, if their natural level was still zero, their effective level would be 54, or 18 times 3.”

Core does affect other stuff too, but I just want to know if this paragraph is confusing or not.

Also, any ideas and suggestions for mechanics/items/anything are welcome.

14. Dragon

42%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    personality - nature?

A bit longwinded at times but it has the advantage of being clear.

15. Commander Azure

12%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
  16. Commander Azure

12%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    UPDATE: I'm at about 8500 words, finishing up Chapter 3. I definitely need to rewrite chapter 2, but I think it's going along pretty well. Is my pace too slow? I don't really have a frame of reference so XD

Dragon likes this.
  17. Dragon

42%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    No, you are doing fine, steady work wins the race. I'd advise never comparing yourself to another author in terms of writing speed, writing is a craft and an art, but everyone compares themselves to others so it would be a worthless piece of advice. Sometimes you spend a month tearing up anything you write, others you make rapid progress. Thats my own struggle with the writing process (and no, i'm not published either nor have i finished a book)

My opinion: Comparisons will create anxiety if you feel you come up short and overconfidence isn't a great look on an author either. In the same line, ignore the unreasonable demands and the threats to drop your series from readers. Giving in will likely mean you end up dissatisfied with the final product which makes it all the harder to refine the manuscript into something great (plus readers have no idea where you want to go, which means they lack an idea of how to progress while balancing the world). The readers will more likely than not read the book no matter how much they threaten, and if not, good riddance to them.

18. Commander Azure

12%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    ...I'm in middle school and this is just a project I'm doing for fun. I don't really have readers yet.

But anyway, thank you for the advice. If this story works, I will definitely remember it.

Dragon likes this.
  19. Commander Azure

12%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Make that 11k