WIP Akillia's Reign

Discussion in 'Works in Progress' started by Dawn Chapman, Jul 22, 2017.

1. Dawn Chapman

Dawn Chapman Level 11 (Thief) LitRPG Author Citizen

18%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    So, had a little bit of a rough week. Wasn't happy with one artist impressions and changes for my SciFi co-written LitRPG so commissioned someone else. Had a really rough deal with one editor on a TSK short novella written by a friend and she was also meant to copy edit KTE (my other finished SciFi litrpg) so I fired her ass too and went back to TSK's previous editor, but it's put me back a month in finalising my first story.

I saw a post from a good friend of mine, a cover designer who was taking commissions again! so I messaged her and asked her to work on something for me. She was too excited, but I kinda didn't have anything planned.

And now here I am... and here is born 'Akillia's Reign' possibly a series. (my first fantasy setting) and of course full on litrpg.

I'm really excited at what I've asked for the cover, it is intense, and Sarah can totally pull this off.

Basic storyline....

Saving hard for the ultimate anniversary gift, Emma finally holds the golden ticket; one pass to Leaton's hottest new VRMMORPG – Puatera Online. Taking the day off work to doll herself up and surprise her partner, Andy, she returns home early only to find his cheating ass in bed with her sister. Throwing them both out on the street, Emma sits slugging back the wine they’d just shared. Drunk and devastated Emma almost smashes the pass to smithereens, but it pings in her hand. ‘Please enter your character name, age and sex.’ Emma toys with the idea for all but a second, then keys in. Akillia-22-female.

Any thoughts? or more so... would you give it a chance?

2. DJ Schinhofen

DJ Schinhofen Creator of Worlds. LitRPG Author Roleplaying Citizen Aspiring Writer

21%
    xp:
    Zone:
    The Void
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I need a bit more then just that. I want at least an idea of the world, what kind of world is Puatera Online; fantasy, sci-fi, steampunk....

3. Dawn Chapman

18%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I did say it was my first fantasy setting, but I guess if you need it in the blurb as well then it's easy done. Thank you :) I have no doubt it will change in the coming months, it's a wip after all. I'm just going to roll with it, see what happens, and have a little fun.

Dean Chalmers and Felicity Weiss like this.
  4. Felicity Weiss

Felicity Weiss Musey Muse Muse Shop Owner Citizen

62%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Oregon
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I love where you are going with it ^^

Dean Chalmers and Dawn Chapman like this.
  5. DJ Schinhofen

DJ Schinhofen Creator of Worlds. LitRPG Author Roleplaying Citizen Aspiring Writer

21%
    xp:
    Zone:
    The Void
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Yeah in the blurb a not that it's the latest fantasy setting is what I was trying for. Sorry posted right before bed, not at my sharpest then. I give all LITRPG a try, I am just a junkie that way.

6. Dawn Chapman

18%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Ahh, cool, DJ, thank you :) I'm hoping it will work out, who knows, when working on something new, there's always a 'what if' but if I have a little fun along the way, I'm all for it. :)

Dean Chalmers likes this.
  7. Dawn Chapman

18%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Thanks, I guess we'll see what happens :)

Dean Chalmers likes this.
  8. Asakust

Asakust Level 9 (Burgler) Citizen Aspiring Writer

40%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    You had me at "Emma sits slugging back the wine they’d just shared."

9. Matthew James

Matthew James Blind Beholder Beta Reader Citizen

38%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    If this is kicking off a fantasy portal world story, then maybe make it more explicit that the ticket pinging is other than mundane. If she's leaving her world behind then we should probably know that from the blurb: at least that was the sense I got, that Emma would be whisked away from a cheating boyfriend and a crap family.

If its sticking to VRMMORPG and straddling the real world and a fantasy VR setting, then just from the blurb I would assume the boyfriend and sister are going to pop-back up... I'm okay with that, but people might want one scenario or the other in regards to continuing the drama from the blurb. Letting them know which they're more likely to get (by letting them know which path the story will take) might help.

Have to agree with Asakust, sloppy drunk sad case about to go on an adventure? Sounds fun to me.

10. Dawn Chapman

18%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Thanks, defo sticking to a real world and fantasy setting mix of a VR litrpg. Great comments on the blurb, will keep it in mind for tightening it and giving the reader a better idea what kinda adventure they might be taken on.

:)

First chapter done, onto the next.... hehe

11. DJ Schinhofen

21%
    xp:
    Zone:
    The Void
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Oh gods I know that feeling Dawn.

12. Larakel

Larakel Level 14 (Defender) Shop Owner Citizen Aspiring Writer

26%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Newbie Island
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I'll try, we need more LitRPG heroines so that factor alone has me in.

Oh, drama with the sis and bf coming back later will (IMO) make it a better story. Dependant on the ending.

Dean Chalmers and Paul Bellow like this.
  13. Dawn Chapman

18%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
  14. Dawn Chapman

18%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
  15. Tom Gallier

Tom Gallier Level 15 (Guardian) LitRPG Author Citizen

19%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I really like that cover, Dawn. Elfmaid warriors and rangers are a fav of mine.

16. Dawn Chapman

18%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Thank you :) I really enjoy putting her through her paces so far. just shy of 23k and growing. Having someone along to help in alfa stages is really cool too. As we're talking about all the real game mechanics that would be happening and then paring it down a little so that it won't bore readers haah :) it's great fun.

Eden Redd and Felicity Weiss like this.
  17. Asakust

Asakust Level 9 (Burgler) Citizen Aspiring Writer

40%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    [​IMG]

Eden Redd and Dawn Chapman like this.
  18. wordrew

wordrew Wayward Writer & Builder of Worlds LitRPG Author Beta Reader Citizen Aspiring Writer

6%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I'm excited to watch this progress, @Dawn Chapman. As a wholly new LitRPG writer, I love seeing others' processes of creation. Thanks for sharing

Felicity Weiss and Dawn Chapman like this.
  19. Dawn Chapman

18%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Thanks, I'm waiting on edits for my first litrpg venture. A joint project, so while I was twiddling my thumbs a friend said she was designing covers once more, I always love her stuff, so nabbed it, had no idea this would be sparked :)

Hoping for 40k, this weekend. I am being adventurous... I know I can do it. Anyone wants in, you know where to find me!

20. Dawn Chapman

18%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid: