Alerons Web Comic of The Land.

Discussion in 'Debates & Discussions' started by Andrew Lynas, Apr 29, 2021.

1. bnaz

bnaz Level 7 (Cutpurse) Citizen

58%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I think everyone is aware you are not my bro. Real critical thinker, I see. Why don’t you go create a few rallies where you are your actual bros can go discuss some “worthwhile” ideas, bro.

Drasius likes this.
  2. PokemonThug

PokemonThug Level 17 (Theurgist) Roleplaying Exiles Beta Reader Citizen Aspiring Writer

52%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    See more cause now you don't see too good. I'll leave these wild "rallies & roaring in the woods" for you, seems like your thang after all....

quote for AK's 7th book
    upload_2021-12-19_17-44-12.png

Last edited: Dec 19, 2021
  3. Paul Bellow

Paul Bellow Forum Game Master Staff Member LitRPG Author Shop Owner Citizen Aspiring Writer

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Is this our first fight on the forum?

I was JUST looking at server costs the other day and thought about begging for money again as I don't sell 1% of the books Aleron Kong does, but I decided against it...

What are we fighting about in this thread? @bnaz, we don't like to fight here. Debate? Yeah. Joke around? Yes.

[​IMG]

4. PokemonThug

PokemonThug Level 17 (Theurgist) Roleplaying Exiles Beta Reader Citizen Aspiring Writer

52%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I mean you could/should I guess, this is a great forum. It's the least that we can do;DD

Mister Bill likes this.
  5. Dragon

Dragon Level 19 (Enchanter) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    By western standards the US isn't that tolerant. A lot of political intolerance, especially in recent years. Blacks gennerally get harder sentences for the same crime. There was a report on it from Trump's justice department a couple years back. Regardless, this is real world politics, but Aleron kinda invites it in this case.

Aleron always had some heavy racial issues in his books. The way nonhumans are treated within Yves is clearly similar to the way black slaves were treated in the colonies (before anyone gets offended, it was not just the US which only got a tiny portion of the slaves, it was much worse elsewhere) and the ruthless poachers menacing the native sprites, destroying the forest and killing those that try to resist, even children, is probably inspired by some of the stories coming out of Brazil, where natives are fighting to protect the amazon against deforestation and get slaugthered in the process.

One could even argue that a handful of people were running an underground railroad leading out of Law and to freedom outside the kingdom of Yves.

I put even odds on Yves basically being fantasy US or at least heavily inspired.

Drasius and PokemonThug like this.
  6. Mister Bill

Mister Bill Level 16 (Paladin) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

39%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Nah, one only needs to tour a little in western countries to see how racist they are. Just talk about gypsies for two seconds and it’ll come out. They also don’t like politics right of the Clintons, either. They’re not tolerant of actual right of center positions, by and large.

7. Dragon

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Have you actually visited a gypsi camp? Seen what it looks like when one of the more unruly caravans have been settled for a while, the piles of garbage and the spike in crime? I have.

Racism is unreasonable hatred of someone for their race, their looks, things beyond their control. Its true many europeans have an issue with romas (gypsi is usually considered a slurr similar to nigger, though it depends on the particular tradition of each group, they are not a monolithic cultural group), but those issues are rooted in their actions, not their race or their way of life.

And no, its not every group, far from it, but its enough that their arrival in town is seen as a bad thing by the residents. They are the ones that will have to clean up whatever area they claim for their camping ground once they move on to the next town, they are the ones that have to put up with a wave of petty crime.

Again, its not a sure thing, but its often enough the way it goes that all romas get a bad reputation because of it.

Going into the anecdotal, i grew up in a tivoli, which is basically a traveling carnival. Not once in 8-12 years do i remember us getting as much as a hard word from any of the towns we visited, people were either happy to see us or ambivalent because they knew we were honest and cleaned up before we left.

We usually made an agreement with the local city council well in advance, or we usually got invited to come actually, but when we weren't invited we'd seek them out beforehand, to ensure they were amenable and so that rent was paid for the space. Then we'd set up shop and stay for a week or so selling rides to the locals and playing games, before moving on to the next place. I have no problems with the traveling peoples nor do other people i know. I have a problem with anyone who sets up a large camp on the outskirts of town with no regard for the landowners, then proceedes to make a mess and as often as not cause all sorts of trouble, stealing and harassing local girls. They give the carnival folks and other romas a bad rep.

Drasius likes this.
  8. Dragon

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    As for the political discourse, when you embrace racism or nazism, you get a bad rep. That is on them.

The handful of people I usually hear spewing hatred of Romas, wanting to drive them all out, are rightwingers and nationalists of the european varieties.

9. Mister Bill

39%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I’m only going off of what I’ve heard Europeans talking. Also, lots of Romanians really dislike the “Roma” line because it sounds close to Romanian. And the folks here in the US say they’re Gypsies and talk about Gypsy culture. AFAIK they only get super upset over the word when they’re trying to pull the wool over someone’s eyes.
    And, yeah, I understand why lots of folks don’t like Gypsies. I saw it myself when I lived in Italy and many moms would drug their babies to lie completely still to get more money from begging. Definitely isn’t everyone but it’s a visible group, for sure.
    Plus I really, really doubt it’s actually anywhere near the N word for black people.

10. Andrew Lynas

Andrew Lynas Level 17 (Theurgist) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

87%
    xp:
    Zone:
    UK
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Paul Bellow likes this.
  11. Paul Bellow

Paul Bellow Forum Game Master Staff Member LitRPG Author Shop Owner Citizen Aspiring Writer

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    *Peers around*

Back on topic. Nice!

[​IMG]

PokemonThug and ShoughtLoud like this.
  12. Andrew Lynas

87%
    xp:
    Zone:
    UK
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Mister Bill likes this.
  13. Mister Bill

39%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
  14. Andrew Lynas

87%
    xp:
    Zone:
    UK
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Hopefully in the future Comics when Richter is Viewing his Map we will get better ideas of the Terrain of the River Peninsula and The Land, perhaps even actual Images of the Map that show things more Clearly. Well we can hope.

PokemonThug likes this.
  15. Andrew Lynas

87%
    xp:
    Zone:
    UK
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Be interesting to see how Comic Richters body changes through the story as his Stats increase, especially when he gets a large increase like when he gets his DragonKin Mark and especially in Book 8, after his fight with the Centerpede like bugs, after his Rock Breaker Mace Technique learned and after becomes a Chaos Lord.

Mister Bill likes this.
  16. Andrew Lynas

87%
    xp:
    Zone:
    UK
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Mister Bill likes this.
  17. Mister Bill

39%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Latest update from Geneva about when new comics will be posted:
    “Aleron has been very focused on writing, the the point where the comic artists tracked me down to try to get feedback lol He did give them notes and revisions on several upcoming chapters, but they will all be released to Patreon first ”