All things Dungeon

Discussion in 'Debates & Discussions' started by Captain BlackJack, Aug 4, 2020.

1. Dragon

Dragon Level 19 (Enchanter) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Eons. Its probably not that hard to reach some random Dungeon on a random world that isn't the land. The difficulty lies in how extremely many worlds there are. In addition to the reality that gods can and have died in the labyrinth. Its a role of the dice whether you'll survive a dive or not. Even with respawns Richter and other chaos seeds aren't all that safe, should be plenty of creatures more powerful than the lich. Some of them might start by "licking off" respawns and similar goodies before devouring the adventurer.

2. Captain BlackJack

Captain BlackJack Level 16 (Paladin) Exiles Citizen

84%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Okay, trying to get some clarity there. In the beginning of the series the term Labyrinth was loosely used. This statement gave me cause to believe, you think that all dungeons and and the Labyrinth are the same.

Dungeons themselves interconnect to each other. The labyrinth doesn’t create nodes between dungeons. If that’s what you had meant.

In book seven we were told about dungeons connecting to other dungeons and major settlements earning extra energies that get converted to DP’s. That was why I was saying it would be a dungeon “desire” motivation. Considering the dungeons number one priority is to grow wouldn’t it grow toward food/energy?

You are totally right. The “Labyrinth Core” as a term is not used in the series. I only mentioned that to clarify. I used that description because the Labyrinth is at the “heart” center of all dungeons. All dungeons are connected directly to the Labyrinth. At first it’s a one way connection. Until the dungeon reaches level 10 as it appears. At that point the dungeon creates its own two way portal/node/entrance. What ever you want to call it.

Calling the labyrinth the greatest of all dungeons was once again trying to gain clarity. As we know the Labyrinth is the same as a dungeon but vastly more powerful then any one dungeon. It has been said that the Labyrinth is the total sum of all dungeons. That could be the total sum of all past and present dungeons.

3. Dragon

Dragon Level 19 (Enchanter) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Where do you get this from? It hasn't been mentioned in the books as far as I remember.

Nor has it been said that Master or god nodes change the locations of other nodes, just that they bend node roads towards the Dungeon. Making it more likely I guess that an adventuring party will stumble on the location of the Dungeon while out scouting the labyrinth.

ShoughtLoud likes this.
  4. Captain BlackJack

84%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I have quoted it before. Book seven chapter Eighty nine talked about dungeons connnecting to major settlements and other dungeons.

Did I say master nodes or god nodes change locations of nodes?????

I said master nodes and god nodes were used for fast transportation.

New dungeons and the death of dungeons change the node road ways.

5. Andrew Lynas

Andrew Lynas Level 17 (Theurgist) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

87%
    xp:
    Zone:
    UK
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    You have repeated your Post. o_O

6. Captain BlackJack

84%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Thanks.

Sometimes I might subconsciously feel the need.

7. Waterhobit

Waterhobit Level 12 (Rogue) Citizen

80%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Congratulations! The Node connecting your Dungeon to the Labyrinth has become a Master Node. This will lead Adventures and monsters alike to the Barrow of the Chaos Serpent. Energy from the Labyrinth will now start flowing into your Dungeon as well. Each major settlement or Dungeon that is connected by the Node Rode to your Dungeon will increase this flow of energy. The flow will gradually increase over time.

Is this the quote you are referencing? If so I don't think this means that other Dungeons connect together directly, but that they connect together through the Labyrinth. This is talking about the Master Node though, so it is possible that a Master Node can connect directly to other Dungeons, but even if that is the case, I don't believe that is possible for any Dungeon that does not have a Master Node.

If the answer is yes, I only ask three things. First, that you keep secret my Profession and Specialty unless I give you permission to do otherwise. Second, that we make a concerted effort to explore the Labyrinth and hopefully find a Node road to the Dungeon under Yves.

Randy certainly seems to indicate that the method of connecting from one Dungeon to another is through the Labyrinth. I would think that if Dungeons could connect directly to each other he would have mentioned it. If it were possible I would have expected him to say something along the lines of "If we are lucky my Lord, the Hall of Elemental Hunters may one day form a direct connection with the Dungeon of Bloody Chaos."

Here is what you actually said. In fact I am pretty sure the the nodes between dungeons are created by the Labyrinth. If each Dungeon connects to the Labyrinth, then each Dungeon is connected to each other through the nodes of the Labyrinth. If the Labyrinth were a giant wheel, and each dungeon were a chewed up piece of gum stuck to this wheel. Than an ant could travel from one piece of chewed gum to another by traveling across the wheel. But Randy says that the physical proximity of Dungeons in the Land does not mean the metaphorical pieces of chewed up gum are close to each other on this wheel. Instead, the closest piece of chewed gum might represent a Dungeon on the other side of the world.

I am really liking this disgusting analogy. ;)

I don't think the term Labyrinth is ever loosely used. The first time the term is every used is at the end of book 6, and the word only appears 8 times in that book.
    "A new entrance to the Labyrinth has been born! This virgin portal to the realm of monsters can still be claimed. Let the race to adventure begin!"
    Literally on the next page Hisako explains,
    “The Labyrinth is a dimension that runs the breadth of The Land. Some even say the breadth of the Universe. Only Adventurers can enter it, but the riches and possibilities are endless. Having a Dungeon on your land will have many perks, such as increasing the ambient magic in the area, but the ability to enter the Labyrinth is the greatest incentive. Dungeons are the only way I know of to enter that dimension, and you found a virgin one!"

On a side note, I didn't notice this before, but the node connecting the Dungeon to the Labyrinth was replaced by the Master Node. This makes me think that the Master Node has now been replaced with the God Node. I always thought the Master node was a new node rather than an upgrade.

ShoughtLoud likes this.
  8. ShoughtLoud

ShoughtLoud Level 18 (Magician) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

81%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Seems the most likely outcome, now it's just a matter or what that entails. If a Master Node brings in all the regular roads around it, does the God Node connect to all the Master Nodes? Or does it do something else entirely?

9. Waterhobit

80%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I would expect it to have all the same qualities as the Master Node, but to a greater extent. And I would expect it to have 1 or 2 additional effects that serve similar funcitons. The Mster Node over time might very well have made Richter's Dungeon almost a central hub of the labyrinth. Personally, I think the God Node it will connect the dungeon in some manner to other realms, worlds, and dimensions.

10. darkenedstar

darkenedstar Level 15 (Guardian) Exiles Citizen

20%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Nope it was used in either book 4 or 5 around the same time they found a possible fairy mound in his domain, and the guard that told him what the mound was also scoffed at the existence of such things. I believe it was tarrod that explained what a labyrinth was at the time (back then it was just a Dungeon)

Last edited: Sep 29, 2020
    Captain BlackJack likes this.
  11. ShoughtLoud

81%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    True, but unless we get even more re-writes/ retcons, I think it's safe to believe in this case that Terrod mixed up his terminology, and meant "Dungeon", having heard of them on a second hand account or something.

Captain BlackJack likes this.
  12. darkenedstar

20%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    True enough

13. Waterhobit

80%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Richter initially had no idea why “Dungeon” was capitalized, but once he spoke to Terrod, he knew that he wanted one. According to the captain, notable locations often attracted monsters and beasts. That was how lairs were created. In very rare instances, the energy of the monsters could infuse the locations with their magic and souls. From that point on, the lairs were known as a Dungeon, and the monsters would continually be reborn. Terrod said that while this might sound horrible, Dungeon monsters sometimes dropped coins and items when slain so Dungeons were coveted locations.

Book 5, Chapter 31.

There is no mention of the Labyrinth here. Although Terrod's explanation of how a Dungeon is formed is incorrect, this could be contributed to him not being an expert on dungeon lore. Of course this section may have been edited by AK at some point for all I know. I don't remember it ever being different, but I started listening to the Land sometime after the release of book 7.

14. darkenedstar

20%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Must have missed that retcon but it was originally called a labyrinth

15. Waterhobit

80%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I did not know that. My apologies to Captain BlackJack for being ignorant in my correction.

16. Captain BlackJack

84%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    In our last “blog” it seems like there was a split that some thought the Labyrinth was composed of the whole spiders web of dungeons. The other thought was that the Labyrinth was at the center of the body of all dungeons. I believe Alerons writings could allow for either of the possibilities.

I personally like they idea that all dungeons are of their own right living entities. We know they feed and grow on energies and souls. They also learn to replicate or mimic everything known.

I have also wondered about dungeons consuming each other.

The mauler was a Labyrinth Boss that entered Ricthers dungeon as it seems with the intentions of taking the dungeons heart. I don’t think the Mauler was intending to proclaim himself dungeon master when claiming the dungeons heart. If it would have taken the item of power, the Chaotic bloodstone would have either been consumed by or would have powered the Labyrinth.

I still believe that Ricthers dungeon grew the node back to the Labyrinth. I also still believe that Ricthers dungeon will grow and connect itself to other locations. I don’t think the Labyrinth does that for the dungeons.

Aleron could also be using the term Labyrinth liberally. Meaning a labyrinth as a specific place and or the total sum of dungeons and node roads.

17. Captain BlackJack

84%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I think a dungeons “heart” item of power would work similarly to a PoPs crystal for another PoP. An item of power claimed could grant even more powers to an existing dungeon. It could perhaps grant not only magical abilities but DP’s based on the conquered dungeons size, rooms, level, or it’s DP production rate.

18. Waterhobit

80%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Dungeon Heart and Item of Power are two different things. The Dungeon Heart was a gem/crystal that Richter claimed in Book 6 to become the Dungeon Master, just like the Heart Crystal made him Master of the PoP. The IoP is an item of focus for the dungeon determining its power and nature. It is the IoP that can be claimed by denizens of the Labyrinth or other adventurers. Personally, I don't think the IoP would function in the same way as a Heart Crystal, but the Dungeon Heart might if Richter was slain.

ShoughtLoud likes this.
  19. ShoughtLoud

81%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Not your fault, they get updated and we still think they're using the old bit, only to find out next time we search the thing we quoted a month ago is no longer there.

Don't get me wrong here, I like that he's fixing old things to keep in line with the later stories, but f**k could he use a cont team to streamline all of this.

20. Captain BlackJack

84%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    You are right the dungeon heart crystal is what you must obtain to become the master of a dungeon. The dungeons item of power is used as a focus. I did use the term freely thinking of it as the main organ of the dungeon. The dungeon can’t survive without its IoP.

You have made me think about this. My understanding has been if Randy and Ricther find the HoEHs item of power they can claim the item or they could claim the dungeon as it has no master which then it would yield its heart crystal. At least that has been my understanding. So if another adventurer found the bloodstone and touched it he could claim the item of power. Since it has a master already an adventurer couldn’t claim the heart crystal. Unless it strips the current holder for not defending the dungeon. The call to defend the dungeon might be the challenge call to meet or possibly have you possession stripped.