All things Dungeon

Discussion in 'Debates & Discussions' started by Captain BlackJack, Aug 4, 2020.

1. Captain BlackJack

Captain BlackJack Level 16 (Paladin) Exiles Citizen

84%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    So it’s possible to conquer a dungeon and claim its heart crystal. Or you could claim it’s IoP and destroy the dungeon. If those two don’t fit your desires you could possibly drain a dungeons magic and reduce its levels. That sounds a lot like a PoPs heart crystal.

I am hopeful Ricther comes up with a fourth plan. When he claims the heart crystal of the HoEHs and gets told he can’t be the master of two dungeons. Then he should make his dungeon consume the Hall of Elemental Hunters. Ricther being a master and having a keeper they should be capable of using a dungeons heart crystal to feed his own dungeon. If he can’t claim another dungeon. Or as a possession he could will it to a loyally sworn vassal with the condition that upon their death the crystal comes back to him.

2. Captain BlackJack

84%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Drag, your historical post made me think of this again. I believe I asked on the last site.

Can a dungeon have a Keeper if it has no Master?

I find it doubtful myself as we know Roswan had to be appointed by Ricther as he was a master.

Randy tells us that he doesn’t ever recall the Hall of Elemental Hunters having a master. Although, He does tell the story of the keeper who seems to have lost his mind and wouldn’t leave the dungeon. They used his family to lure him out.

So the HoEHs either had a master at that time or a keeper can somehow take that position without having a master.

So what’s the verdict?

3. Dragon

Dragon Level 19 (Enchanter) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Dungeons have Dungeon hearts and places of power have Heart crystals. Conquering a Dungeon isn't enough to claim it, you need the Dungeon heart, similar to the way having physical control of a pop doesn't make you master. Draining the Dungeon seems extremely similar to what a pop can do to a captured Heart crystal.

The Dungeon in Yves is far too valuable to be used to feed Richter's Dungeon. Controlling it means controlling the economy of the city of Law and one of the big revenue streams for the royal coffers. Should Richter gain the Dungeon Heart, he (or more likely Randolphus) will be able to siphon off a massive chunk of that revenue for the mist realm with a treasure chamberr (10-20% tax rate or higher) and assuming Randolphus has a node road, he can collect that revenue without interference due to the no warfare in the Dungeon rule.

They can also shut off the entrances to supporters of the king. All of this can be done without unmasking themselves.

4. Dragon

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    My opionion?
    I guess Dungeons can have a keeper without having a master. When there is a Master(owner) however he or she has the power to hire and fire Dungeon Keepers, but not much direct control of the Dungeon other than some bareboned systems. A little like how an office boss can have power over a system administrator, but not control over the system he administrates beyond a few idiot proofed subsystems.

Captain BlackJack likes this.
  5. Captain BlackJack

84%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Didn’t you go against that same line of thinking on the last Site?

I recall mentioning taking control of the dungeon of Yves and someone didn’t like that at all. They said that would create too much conflict and would cause a war.

Dragon likes this.
  6. Dragon

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    That may very well be, if so we have come full circle. I'm allowed to change my mind after a year or two. ;)

I recall you wanting to seize the Dungeon to use it as a weapon against the kingdom, thereas I merely want to tap into their revenue stream, not commit forces against someone with several thousand times the population and military might (in addition to their higher levelled/ tiered adventurers/mages/warriors and far more developed tech base ).

I also recall pointing out the risk of the Yvesian mages scrying the nature and location of the new Master which they definitely will try the day the first adventurer loses as much a wood chip to Dungeon taxes that aren't approved by the king. Richter and Randolphus would have to figure out a solution that doesn't lead the Yvesians to the village. That will likely prove impossible, killing the idea in the cradle.

7. Captain BlackJack

84%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I know some here like to be literalist when it suits their beliefs and when he literary works don’t support their arguments they aren’t So literal any more.

Book 7
    Chapter two
    Audible
    1:15-3:23

So are we to believe that all the new entrances will have a well of offering? If so will Ricther be able to grant Hisako and others the ability to make offerings?

8. Dragon

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    So basically I am a hypocrite? Thank you, its always a delight when someone attacks the man rather than the argument XD
    Fun bashing aside :)

Not sure where the well of offerings thing comes from?a well of offerings is basically a Dungeonmouth into which you can throw stuff you want the Dungeon to have. That could be a chest filled with jewelry or a wagon being tipped over into the what serves as the town's collective garbage disposal.

From what I can tell it depends on whether the entrance in question has an entrance chamber or just consist of an opening. Seems a reasonable enough guess that it would have one in every entrance.

9. Andrew Lynas

Andrew Lynas Level 17 (Theurgist) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

87%
    xp:
    Zone:
    UK
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Maybe a Lesser Version, something with a low chance of Failing to Absorb and Learn what's dropped in it (somewhere between the Original Font and simply Dropping things in the Dungeon, but a bit closer to the Font), and maybe make it so only certain People can use these Lesser Fonts, after all you don't want someone dropping something potentially negative or harmful to the Dungeon, like Eldrich, or Void or Abysal, ect, Items or Creatures into it.

10. Captain BlackJack

84%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:

I didn’t really want to weaponize the Dungeon. I have wanted Ricther to take the dungeon for sometime. There is just to much to gain in taking the HoEHs. I do think there is likely a very very large sum of wealth sitting in its dungeon treasury. With no master or keeper I’m not sure it can be accessed. That in my mind would give a good reason to post guards it every dungeon entrance/exit to tax that income as it comes out.

I also think denying any revenue to any likely adversary is the right thing to do. All that wealth could better serve the Mist.

I had mentioned after Ricther takes the dungeon that he should cut off all access to it for sometime. That would starve the dungeon for a period. Then he could reopen the dungeon only to the Kings friends. After which it could be opened back up to everyone besides the Kings friends.

That is as close to weaponizing the dungeon as I could get. Of course it would take a fair amount of espionage to include all the Kings friends for a dungeon pass and ban. Randy could provide some of the names but I doubt he would get all the bad actors.

I really wasn’t sure if it was you or Shout that had been opposed. I AM VERY GLAD you have came over to my line of thinking. Partially anyhow. I wouldn’t call you any names like that either. Well maybe Pythagoras because you are pretty good at working angles.

Incase you haven’t noticed I don’t really curse or call names

11. Captain BlackJack

84%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I was relistening to book 7 when I noticed it says a free well of offering is offered for every entrance chamber. I would think that the entrances granted at every five levels would likely have an entrance chamber. That is if those entrances were to be outside entrances. If those entrances are used to connect another dungeon it might only create a node with its silver shimmering portal gate.

So if the all entrances have wells of offering and Ricther can grant the Hearth Mother access to the well. Would she be allowed to partake in dungeon quest for the well of offering?

12. Captain BlackJack

84%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    We had debated this before on the old site but when do you all think the dungeon learned to use chaos magic?

Mister Bill likes this.
  13. ShoughtLoud

ShoughtLoud Level 18 (Magician) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

81%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Learned to use like "unlocked for use"?

14. Andrew Lynas

Andrew Lynas Level 17 (Theurgist) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

87%
    xp:
    Zone:
    UK
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I don't think that it is so much Using Chaos Magic as Channelling Chaos Magic Energy.

15. Captain BlackJack

84%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    As in having the ability to use.

16. Captain BlackJack

84%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Isn’t the ability to channel magical energy the difference between magic users and non magic users?

17. ShoughtLoud

ShoughtLoud Level 18 (Magician) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

81%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Had it the whole time, just didn't bother with it before then. However I think like when Richter knows magic, it is largely instinctual, and doesn't really know what it's doing beyond that something will happen.

18. Captain BlackJack

84%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    That’s Right it had it the ability to use Chaos Magic every since its creation. Due to the Chaotic bloodstone and his Chaotic High steel adder. The dungeon could not only use chaos magic but it’s guardian could also. The Dungeon actually received a dungeon point bonus for their ability to use chaos magic. If it the Dungeon wasn’t capable of using chaos magic how else would it manifested that magic into a chaos particle? Later on during the Lich battle the dungeon used the magic of chaos without any real intent. It had the ability to use chaos magic but it had been fearful of using it as it didn’t understand it.

So now that the Dungeon has started to wield chaos magichow often can we expect to see it?

How will the Labyrinth affect the Dungeon and it’s ability to use chaos magic?

We know Ricther released chaos into the Land but did he also release into the Labyrinth?

If the Labyrinth had previously known chaos magic what was blocking it from being learned in the Labyrinth then brought back to the Land?

If Ricther were to find his Dungeons “heart” item of power could he touch it and grant it all his knowledge of chaos magic?

I would like to see his dungeon gaining the spell Akaton evolution. That one spell would be a HUGE boost to his dungeon.

Belgared likes this.
  19. Dragon

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I agree .

I wonder whether the Dungeon can consciously replicate the loot it creates or control what an adventurer gets. We'll see.

20. Captain BlackJack

84%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Personally I believe Ricthers dungeon is the only one capable of using chaos magic at this point and time. I’m not even sure if it has opened up the Labyrinths ability to use it yet.

Do any of you think other dungeons can use chaos magic at this point?