All things Dungeon

Discussion in 'Debates & Discussions' started by Captain BlackJack, Aug 4, 2020.

1. 2tymes

2tymes Level 11 (Thief) Exiles Citizen

8%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    When you say added, are you talking about enhancing the choatic bloodstone with another item of power? Or just the dungeon learning powerful items like a magical core and what not?
    upload_2021-2-8_22-13-3.png

2. Mister Bill

Mister Bill Level 16 (Paladin) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

39%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    No idea. I don’t think items of power are easily added to a dungeon.

3. Dragon

Dragon Level 19 (Enchanter) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    An item of power is used when setting up a Dungeon and will be whatever is available. Might be a sword of legend or an old wood chit.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2021
  4. Captain BlackJack

Captain BlackJack Level 16 (Paladin) Exiles Citizen

84%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Why would Labyrinth creatures try to take them?

I think they use them to grow and feed the labyrinth. Look at it as the item of power being harnessed for its power alone.

It’s not like it’s being added to the dungeon for its creation or overal bonus aspects. Ricthers dungeon could use another item of power for just what it is an item of power. I think it could be used several different ways by a dungeon. A seed core is an item of power as well as a seed for a Hearth Tree. Why do people think a item of power can only be used by a dungeon one way? Such as “The” dungeons item of power?

Mister Bill likes this.
  5. ShoughtLoud

ShoughtLoud Level 18 (Magician) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

81%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I think Item of Power should be reserved for the one that does incorporate with the dungeon. Other powerful items may indeed help the dungeon by being sacked, or being present inside like a tree, but we should find another name for them so they don't get confused with the ones that bond to the dungeon instead of just being very helpful

6. Captain BlackJack

84%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I think the big difference is the dungeons item of power and an item of power either added to the dungeon or offered to the dungeon in a well of offering.

Items of power could also be relative. Meaning for a many with a all normal items a magical item would be an item of power. So any magical item could be considered an item of power. The items of power that dungeons implement for their creation are magical focuses. That is if I’m not mistaken. Not all items are are magical focuses. Some items could be imbued items and others might just be enchanted items.
    Yeah, but then you have to wait for it to be spawned. Which he only happens randomly. If it’s a item it still might not be capable of making it until you have a room. If it’s a magical item it might not be capable of replicating that form of magic because it hasn’t learned that type of magic yet. With a seed core, it could be planted in the dungeon. That seed core would grows like all living things just at a much faster rate. Then it would yield seedcores at a greatly increased rate. It would be necessary for you to watch it and protect it in order to gain any and all seed cores grown. Meanwhile the dungeon would absorb ambient mana from it. The seed core or the hearth tree formed from it would still influence all the things within its range. I wouldn’t think that to be more then a single lair.

Mister Bill likes this.
  7. Mister Bill

39%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Yeah, that’s partly what I’m saying. A dungeon might use other stuff but it wouldn’t be as intrinsic to the dungeon as the singular item of power is.

Captain BlackJack likes this.
  8. Mister Bill

39%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I like the idea of a planted special tree speedily providing more seed cores. I wonder how you’d collect them.

9. Captain BlackJack

84%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    You would have to watch them like a hawk. Of course Sprites and Pixies would likely know how close it was to making a drop.

Mister Bill likes this.
  10. Mister Bill

39%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Good point. I’d still be wary of it. I’d prefer it be in/near the village, instead. Especially because a pixie would likely want to bond with it later on.

ShoughtLoud likes this.
  11. Johan

Johan Level 18 (Magician) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

83%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    So to keep this in the right spot.

We now have lots of DP. Roswan can put 10% DP to any thing he wants without issue. If he does put it into the Sirens Rock and call any Goblinoid in the area...

Last edited: Feb 13, 2021
  12. Dragon

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    It might work. I think that would count as a mental assault spread across hundreds if not thousands of beings. It might entice some bugbears into going, but I'd assume any mage worth his salt would realize they are being attacked mentally and will start shouting warnings not to approach.

Should cause chaos and death, but I doubt a battle-changing number of bugbears would brainlessly wander into the defences.

That said, the Dungeon would get the DP for the kills it does make, along with the designs for the creatures killed (bugbears are humanoids so it can't spawn them yet) and the ability to recreate the gear, potions, foodstufs, etc. the bugbears are carrying.

Criticisms aside its a worthwhile tactic. The only thing I would change is the amount of DP used to power the Siren rock and the way its done. The Dungeon Keeper can only redirect a portion of the DP generated each day without the cost getting prohibitive, but DP earned in combat against Dungeon enemies aren't limited in the same way, those can be applied as the DK wishes.

So if this was me, i'd want to pour as many DP into making the strongest magical call possible at the worst conceivable moment for the bugbears, namely after they cross the outer trench and are either rampaging through the farmlands towards the outer walls or attempting to force a crossing. At that point their strongest would be focused on the enemy rather than on lower-levelled bugbears suddenly wandering off in mass towards the Dungeon.

I'd invest every DK point I have stored up to make the call just a little bit stronger, because that means more bugbears get overwhelmed, leading to more chaos and a better chance of launching a counterassault while the bugbears are in disarray.

Mister Bill likes this.
  13. Captain BlackJack

84%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I think the use of DP’s to extend and grow dungeon traps would work well if they were placed right like all other traps. If were over the defense works I would build towers in groups. Those towers would have over lapping fire. I would use dungeon vines as barriers to the towers. I would also use punji stick pits along with abatis. The grander leading troops to the pits. The rock could be put in the center of the defensive works. If possible I would grant everything access through the vines only to be revoked once they reached the towers. The only clearing between the towers would be around the rock. The rock would seduce things to it and through the vines. The towers would give a tactically superior position for archers. Those archers and towers would also be protected by the vines beneath them. The towers would take some time for villagers to build but they could draw an attack away from the MV itself. That is if it were built to look like a village with towers. The vines would also be a good add to the bottom of the MV’s walls.

14. Captain BlackJack

84%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I thought the call of the dungeon was a one time announcement to the entire Land of the birth of a new dungeon. Didn’t the call of the dungeon also included a beam of light shooting up and through the clouds?

Mister Bill likes this.
  15. Dragon

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    This is a different call :)

The siren stones have the power to call monsters, beasts and presumably sentients (as the description mentions them attracting ships, sending their crews to a watery grave) to them.

So the Dungeon can send out a pulse or a call if you will ensorcelling creatures. Basically a mental or charm attack. This is an attack that burns through some power, leaving the siren stones weakened for a time.

The DK can redirect some of the power generated on a daily basis to the defense, but the cost starts growing . Dungeon keepers are not supposed to redirect all the DP to one or two areas, so its discouraged.

DP earned in battle on the other hand can be invested where the DK pleases. Hence the DK could possibly fire off a 5000 -10000 DP call at an opportune moment. This would not only attract bugbears, it would also attract nearby monsters and beasts.

It depends on whether such an investment could be used to power a call or would go towards developing the siren stones.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2021
  16. ShoughtLoud

ShoughtLoud Level 18 (Magician) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

81%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I think the dungeon keeper is still limited in how much he can re-direct, but the Dungeon isn't limited by it's usual 50% rule with battle DPs

Mister Bill likes this.
  17. Captain BlackJack

84%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Okay, I’m following you now.

I thought you were talking about the call of the dungeon.

I agree that would be an excellent choice. I would place it at a totally different location. And I would still surround it with vines to catch anything not drawn all the way to the rock. Laying it out with the towers trying to make it look more like as village might draw in some enemies. A few torches around it might even help.

18. Mister Bill

39%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I like this a lot. I assume you can’t build up the points over time to use once, though, just like you can’t build up the probability of a loot drop over many days, I think. Something similar so it’s not too OP.

19. Mister Bill

39%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    ...why would the traps get built outside and where the village wants them? AFAIK the only outside stuff is what’s already there with the different terrains and the entrance.

Could they intensify that doubt enchantment thing on the entrance to spread over the incoming troops?

20. Captain BlackJack

84%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    The blue sands, the vines and the siren rock are all external dungeon traps. The thought is that they can be grown and replicated in other areas as the dungeon has already created them. The DP’s should only need to be expended for it. That would be something the Dungeon keeper should be capable of.

Mister Bill likes this.