All things Dungeon

Discussion in 'Debates & Discussions' started by Captain BlackJack, Aug 4, 2020.

1. Kushlord42$

Kushlord42$ Level 7 (Cutpurse) Exiles Citizen

34%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I can't wait for more dungeon details when the book finally comes out.

Drasius likes this.
  2. Belgared

Belgared Level 10 (Filcher) Exiles Citizen

68%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I want to see the dungeon as it expands the number of floors and the design of those floors. Also what new creatures does it make.

Drasius likes this.
  3. Sleepyhe4d

Sleepyhe4d Level 9 (Burgler) Exiles Citizen

58%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    There are so many things that need to happen overall and I just don’t see the dungeon getting the priority I want to see in the next books.

Same things happened to the catacombs, didn’t see shit there :/

Mister Bill likes this.
  4. Kushlord42$

34%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    You’re probably right but I gotta hope

Drasius and Mister Bill like this.
  5. darkenedstar

darkenedstar Level 15 (Guardian) Exiles Citizen

20%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    If it is that important s to you, you could try asking aleron when that information will come out. Don’t ask what that info is, only what book to expect it, and he might actually answer.

Mister Bill likes this.
  6. Kushlord42$

34%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Your funny, anything you ask that guy about his book he always says it’s a spoiler and it’s not that important it’s just cuz I’m back on the forums

7. ShoughtLoud

ShoughtLoud Level 18 (Magician) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

81%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Nah, that'd give away how long his away arc is gonna last, so spoilers

8. Kushlord42$

34%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Feel like reading book 7 again I miss the dungeon

Last edited: Jul 14, 2021
    Mister Bill likes this.
  9. Kushlord42$

34%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Just rereading all the old 1 star reviews for 7 and 8 and I remember All the things I hate about the books LOL

Drasius likes this.
  10. Mister Bill

Mister Bill Level 16 (Paladin) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

39%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I’ve done that many a time.

Drasius and Joe Schmoe like this.
  11. Captain BlackJack

Captain BlackJack Level 16 (Paladin) Exiles Citizen

84%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Darkenstar, I am very hopeful that the “dungeon store” is a real store in the dungeon. I also believe that death magic should have been awakened. If I were Aleron I would have a dungeon store ran by a somewhat snarky dead character with some very powerful dead warriors embedded in walls around the store. The store manager would Be there only for trades and purchases. The labyrinth store would be a bit different. I see a Labyrinth store more of a room with some sort of magical table inscribed with a magical dungeon language. When touched by the dungeon master or keeper it would prompt them to several list. Monsters, Traps, rooms, and Items could be purchased for dungeon growth and development. It would also be a big bonus to Ricther if he could make purchases by age or level. A egg should be a whole lot cheaper then a level 50 thunder bird although it might need to be guarded from Roswan in the Egg Genesis chamber.

AndyJ and Mister Bill like this.
  12. darkenedstar

20%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I don’t think the labyrinth/dungeon store will be accessible to richter in any capacity other then dungeon master, and will only sell items that a dungeon can use.

that said. I am of the belief the the burrow of the chaos serpent could theoretically buy anything through the store. Traps, rooms, loot items, monsters, skilled workers, etc.

Drasius and Captain BlackJack like this.
  13. Captain BlackJack

84%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I was thinking that was called the labyrinth store. It’s purpose was solely devoted to dungeon growth and development. Unless it’s a room inside the Labyrinth where the must adventure to or a devoted room with a table in side his dungeon personally I will find it piss poor. To think that it will just be another mental index in my opinion really cheapens it’s story worthiness. At that point a mental index type store only in riches his character and not the story.

Some of us talked about a dungeon store for Ricthers Dungeon. It would allow him the ability to trade for unwanted items. He could sell desirable goods and high quality items to adventurers there. That would also help prevent adventurers from finding out about the core buildings.

14. darkenedstar

20%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Ah. He would be better off setting up a market in the village or a trading post in the entrance chamber.

15. Captain BlackJack

84%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    The think the entrance chamber would be to obvious. A shop inside his dungeon would offer a bit of rest and opportunity for Ricther and the adventurers. I know in time Ricthers village will have lots of people coming and going. I know he has also hid his core buildings but that wouldn’t really work. Any visitors to the village would figure things out very quickly. Even those that don’t would see an opulently rich village with few people living there. Just the knowledge of the dungeon being there and the common place wealth would be a larger then life invite for thieves, raiders, and other sovereigns to attack and take what he has. If I were Ricther I wouldn’t allow anyone access to my village from the dungeon. Only Mist villiage rd and true Allies would be allowed that access.

Mister Bill likes this.
  16. Mister Bill

Mister Bill Level 16 (Paladin) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

39%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Could be really neat.

17. Dragon

Dragon Level 19 (Enchanter) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I agree the core buildings cannot be kept secret forever. The same is true for the location of the village though. Fortunately for Richter the village is located far enough from the major powers (mainly Yves and Rione).

There is a question of relative value. Many smaller factions would undoubtedly go to war over a Dungeon or a Core. They are that valuable.

But we also know the kingdom of Yves has several Dungeons, as that has been confirmed. I also think Yves would have seized, found or stolen a number of cores in the past, given that they spent centuries conquering their neighbors and waging wars. They likely want more, but they aren't desperate for more Dungeons, Cores or other resources.

Which is my longwinded way of saying that the village has some good assets, but not critically important assets.

From their perspective the village is a long way off through enemy territory, that their main armies cannot cross without starting major wars with the forest tribes, including the HT. From their perspective the entire region is also undeveloped, which means that the new duke/baron/count would have to work his ass off for years to build up an area they would struggle to hold onto. They might still try it in the future, assuming they are behind the recent troubles or decide to take advantage of it to push their eastern border further out, but at the moment it seems unlikely.

The primary threats to the village will come from the local factions and the invading alliance. They know there is a Dungeon. In time they will realize there are core buildings to be had as well. Given that the alliance controls lands bordering the mist, its an opportune target.

Letting adventurers see the village won't really change the threat picture. Far off kingdoms will still have limited ability to invade, and nearby realms will learn about the village through the rumors, the information brokers and the various seers.

Mister Bill likes this.
  18. Dragon

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    As for a Dungeon store, that could work. Any safe room could be turned into a store, but there is likely a dedicated store-room. Richter could connect it to the treasury and its ability to confiscate certain drops, as long as their market value is paid out. Those drops could then be sold at a premium at the store to adventurers that need/ want them.

The store could also buy high-value drops that the adventurers fear would be risky to sell outside, guaranteeing the anonymity of the seller.

Captain BlackJack likes this.
  19. Captain BlackJack

84%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    How many days did Randy say it would take them to reach the village via the river? It seems to me that would make access to the village pretty easy. They could land right beside the ship as it lay in the birth. That wouldn’t take long and it would be right to their front door.

I agree and believe everyone here recognizes the alliance as the most immediate threat to the village. Seeing how they are controlling portions of Ricthers Domain. Speaking of that shouldn’t he have received another prompt? Something to the effect that their can only be one ruler? As his lands have been invaded their is another leader that should be held in contention.

There is an old saying that says loose lips sink ships. I understand that everything is rapidly changing in Ricthers villiage. I also understand that his villagers are sworn to him. As will be all the other people’s of his domain will be in time. With the dangers of the alliance weighing above him ready to crush his village for what it has. Such as the bloodstone and dungeon. Why would Ricther want to tempt others to hunt for his hidden El Dorado. Any adventurer of any merit would have an eye for objects and wealth. As adventurers start to come and go from Ricthers village they would all tell the tale.

{The Mist village is so wealth none of the children need to work. It is such a wealthy place that all the children go to schools for free! They are so plush in wealth that many of the men walk around with true silver blades openly on their hips as if it were common Iron. Magic is so common that they give freely many of their spells in benevolence. Their lord gifts his guards with rings of all types. Every weapon that I saw had been enchanted. So many of them made from metals so rare that any Dwarf would lust to hold. Their farms produce like they are blessed by the gods! Their live stock grow and multiply before the eye. They grow two years worth of crops in one season. The only time they need toil in the land is to collect their harvest which are is great all the people join in to help. Their lands are so fertile that every woman would be with child if it weren’t for the starzinia growing at every door. At the end of everyday when the common meal has been had the Lord allows them all a free drink from his own purse. It’s true I swear if I hadn’t a family to return to I would have stayed. It’s a true land that runs with milk and honey. It’s blessed by the Gods I say and if any man in this tavern say different I’ll cut his tongue out for any blasphemy against it.}

That’s the type of stories that would be told. That should be expected to be repeated by any adventurers returning home at every tavern they stop.

Mister Bill likes this.
  20. Dragon

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I think it takes a few weeks by river to get there, might just be one week. My understanding is that if the kingdom commits they can gather a midsized fleet of river transports fairly easily.

I agree taking the village isn't that hard for the Yvesian kingdom. The main issue is that most of the major treasures are locked in place. The pop, the Dungeon and the quickening cannot be moved from their current location. If the yvesians are willing to zero out the progress of the core buildings and start over they can move the two (three once Richter returns and spends his new core) of them elsewhere.

As for the rest? They'd have to establish a significant military presence deep within hostile territory. Forest tribes such as the HT will definitely declare war and attempt to dislodge them before they can dig in. Supply would only be possible with protected convoys.

Its doable for a state the size of the kingdom, but it would be very expensive to hold the area and build it up. I doubt the current facilities would cover more than a fragment of the costs. Essentially it forces the kingdom to divert resources away from its primary holdings, to guard the new territory. Its likely they would also have to heavily beef up border security along their eastern border to keep out raiders.

If I was the king of Yves i'd let Richter stay in power at least until I was ready to secure the entire region. Instead i'd extract a hefty river toll for right of passage through Yvesian waters(2-3% of the value of the cargo on every ship passing through, similar to the Sound Dues - Wikipedia). If Richter wants to trade outside of the immediate vicinity he'd have few options other than to pay the toll every time one of his ships passes through Yvesian waters, whether he trades with Yves or not. This costs the kingdom very little, a few patrol boats backed up by the threat of yvesian military action against future trading ships would be sufficient to enforce compliance.

Mister Bill likes this.