All things Dungeon

Discussion in 'Debates & Discussions' started by Captain BlackJack, Aug 4, 2020.

1. Mister Bill

Mister Bill Level 16 (Paladin) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

39%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Nah, I don’t think it needs to literally grow that way. It just wants new blood and rewards those who bring it, like Richter with his quest.

2. Andrew Lynas

Andrew Lynas Level 17 (Theurgist) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

87%
    xp:
    Zone:
    UK
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    It's other Motivation was to seek Magical Power to become stronger, so it might try (or at least prefer) and open an Entrance near a place with a lot of excess Mana (especially of a type that it hasn't Awoken?), so possibly someplace like the Kindars Sepulchre or at another PoP like the Hearth Tree if possible. Although the Shadow Trench might be another Option.

Will be interesting to see how new Entrances are opened, Richter probably may be able to simply choose to will an Entrance open anywhere in his Domain just by willing it without even having to visit that place, just use his Map and Will it (may need to have that location be illuminated on his map). But outside of his Domain it is likely he will have to go to that place to Open an Entrance, maybe even with some type of Dungeon Item to seed a doorway?

Last edited: Aug 3, 2021
    Drasius and Captain BlackJack like this.
  3. Captain BlackJack

Captain BlackJack Level 16 (Paladin) Exiles Citizen

84%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Well, according to Randy dungeons have motivations and those can cause them to grow specific ways. Personally I believe that those motivations should and will make the dungeon grow toward those things. I only question if Ricther can use those things in order to get more out of his dungeon. I think Randy even mentions that dungeon keepers could encourage dungeons to develop and grow in specific ways.

4. Captain BlackJack

84%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I totally agree!

I hope any seeds or anchors used to open an entrance is really like a lure. Then maybe Ricther can figure a way to bait the dungeon to go a bit farther to feed on his bait. Having an understanding of what the Dungeon feeds on should help. Any method Ricther could use to make the dungeon sense it’s motivations being met should work. It could be that the dungeon allows Ricther to open a portal something similar to the one opened right before the Lich battle. Once opened it might offer Ricther the ability to for the temporary portal into a permanent entrance. Thinking of it now the dungeon ultimately took control of that temporary portal holding it open and feeding off all the energy pouring through. It was funneling all the energy it could absorb straight in like the portal was an esophagus. If Ricther had the ability then to create that end point into a dungeon entrance the dungeon would have done it at an insane speed. Then Ricther could have controlled who came in and out as the master. Meanwhile his dungeon would have been lapping up all the ambient mana it could. It just seems within the realms of possibility that if Ricther can open any kind of link to his dungeon with something tasty enough his dungeon would swing that way to get its fill as fast as possible. Then Ricther can stake his entrance.

5. Captain BlackJack

84%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Ricther and Roswan need to see what they can build for the Dungeon that would help it grow by it achieving its motivations. Most people would be a bit perverse to it but they need to learn how to utilize the bloodstone striations. If they could manipulate and grow those striations it might fit multiple purposes. For one they could make a large catch basin out of it in the bottom of a slaughterhouse. If it were built above the dungeon like a ziggurat it could be used to feed the dungeon, process live stock, and casting magic from in times of great need. Not only a machine to feed the dungeon without the need to go in the dungeon but a point to use blood magic if needed. Ricther could also use it to build a room to carry out the interrogations and ultimately the death penalty. Maybe they could conceive some way to make a magical depository. A room where they could teach the dungeon spells and enchantments.

Drasius likes this.
  6. Mister Bill

39%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Ooooh, or open the dungeon to the levels he needs to clear to upgrade his village!

Captain BlackJack and Drasius like this.
  7. Captain BlackJack

84%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I don’t think just anyone clearing it out will work. If Ricther doesn’t do it he might be able to use some of his men to do it.

Mister Bill likes this.
  8. Mister Bill

39%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Oh, good point. Plus, some might get tougher, which wouldn’t be good.

9. Dragon

Dragon Level 19 (Enchanter) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Makes sense. Kings (and any other form of ruler) do not risk themselves doing the grunt work. Figuring out the specifics of subduing one of the kobold tribe settlements (only requirement for conquering the first level) should be left largely to diplomats such as Randy and generals such as Terrod. Richter's focus should be to make the big decisions, to set the course going forward.

10. Captain BlackJack

84%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Isn’t Terrod a Captain?

Mister Bill likes this.
  11. PokemonThug

PokemonThug Level 17 (Theurgist) Roleplaying Exiles Beta Reader Citizen Aspiring Writer

52%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    MV actually has been bleeding the most lately, so unless a new blood stone appears... prob will just build its own dimension

Drasius likes this.
  12. Dragon

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Yes. He is also the commander of the mist army, which would make him the closest thing Richter has to a general.

Captain is more fitting for someone commanding the equivalent of a company (120-150 men at most, might be less after the various battles but I hope its 100+) of lightly seasoned men and raw recruits.

Mister Bill likes this.
  13. Captain BlackJack

84%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Yeah but their blood has been spread all over. For the dungeon to develop toward a specific area it would need to sense some very powerful blood or a large pool of blood. The more persistent those sources the more likely it could turn the dungeon. I would really be surprised if the Dungeon doesn’t grow up under the cleaning pit to absorb all the leaftovers there.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2021
  14. Sleepyhe4d

Sleepyhe4d Level 9 (Burgler) Exiles Citizen

58%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Question: The „mind“ in the bloodstone was unique and intelligent, right? And the second motivation for all magics and all the power might be unique and tight to Richter as well, right?

Could it be possible, that this unique dungeon can consume the power of other dungeon and „attack“ other dungeons since it is smart?

Captain BlackJack likes this.
  15. PokemonThug

PokemonThug Level 17 (Theurgist) Roleplaying Exiles Beta Reader Citizen Aspiring Writer

52%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    A pity no hell Mauler blood remained.. or did it hehe

Drasius likes this.
  16. Captain BlackJack

84%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I think that’s a very good question. I’m not so sure that dungeons can’t consume other dungeons. I was thinking about Roswan today. I think it would be great if Roswan could adventure with Ricthers A-Team. I don’t think he should adventure in his own dungeon but any other dungeon should be good to go. I had actually been thinking that Roswan could be a monster hunter for his own dungeon. Adventuring in other dungeons for experience and returning with powerful beast to feed the dungeon of bloody chaos would make a good side gig. Roswan might learn from other dungeons as well. I have personally made the argument that other items of power could be added to Ricthers Dungeon. Whole new floors could be added to the dungeon by adding a new item of power. Of course the Bloodstone would still be Ricthers Item of power but new additions could power different lairs. A dungeons item of power might work similar to a PoP. It might add additional knowledge of its magical type. Or it might be used to gain DP’s along with its magic.

Andrew Lynas likes this.
  17. PokemonThug

52%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    possible still the nearest dungeon is over 10k or 100k years old so its very unlikely we would easily be able to "consume it" perhaps better word would be to absorb it. I would see other dungeons as a separate dimension to which we can build a node portal to and kill their harbinger.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2021
    Captain BlackJack likes this.
  18. Dragon

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    The Dungeon in Law is a big fish, but Dungeons just aren't that rare on a continental scale. There are several in the kingdom of Yves, probably dozens in the region between the eastern coast and to the western border of Yves, up around the swamps and rione. Its a huge region. For a scale comparison, the forest is the size of texas. Its massive and no has any idea of how many old ruins and treasures lie waiting beneath the soil.

That said, whether its unique or not, its still a resource big enough to build a huge city around it. Law was built around the first one the kingdom took, their first big conquest. For a thousand years it has sent a massive stream of resources out into the kingdom, big enough that even at their greatest it was a treasure.

It has also slain the kingdoms best and brightest.

Once Richter's starts producing raw materials, unique drops and monster parts his dungeon too will generate an endless stream of resources. Especially once word comes out that adventurers are healed free of charge, "Dungeon accidents" are seriously investigated and drops are kept 100% private by both guards and authorized merchants. Even the use fee is minimal, only 50% of the loot.

In addition there are the regular taxes and guild fees that everyone pays of course, but that's only off the profit rather than the take, unlike elsewhere.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2021
  19. Captain BlackJack

84%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I can see that along with several other possible outcomes.

20. Captain BlackJack

84%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Yeah, dungeons aren’t that rare where as Dungeons are a bit more so. Even with dungeons of all types being found fairly common, commoners still don’t on them. Dungeons are something that the Royals everywhere would want to control. It has been said that kingdoms would go to war over Proper dungeons.