All things Dungeon

Discussion in 'Debates & Discussions' started by Captain BlackJack, Aug 4, 2020.

1. Captain BlackJack

Captain BlackJack Level 16 (Paladin) Exiles Citizen

24%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    That’s correct he did look to see how many settlement points he would need. Although I am nearly 99.9% sure he built it in the dungeon by converting his settlement points to dungeon points. I do recall Ricther calculating how many dungeon points he would get per settlement point. When he was done building his portal I also recall him giving the remainder of his points to Roswan. Which I would also think were to be converted to dungeon points for him to use in the dungeon. Settlement points I think are very different then dungeon points.

Did your quote come from when he initially looked at building it or when he actually built it?

I only ask because when he built the Dungeon he had set aside the points he needed. That’s not saying they weren’t converted to be used by the dungeon.

If the portal and the portcullis wasn’t built by the dungeon would the dungeon be concerned with its maintenance and repairs? If dungeon points weren’t used why wouldn’t the dungeon consume it for its power and knowledge like it does all other things?

Last edited: Oct 11, 2021
    Mister Bill likes this.
  2. Dragon

Dragon Level 19 (Enchanter) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Good questions.

I doubt Aleron considered them.

Mister Bill likes this.
  3. Mister Bill

Mister Bill Level 14 (Defender) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

59%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Simply because it’s now part of the dungeon, IMO. And officially so.

4. Captain BlackJack

24%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Surely he would have considered how his own dungeon consumes everything? After all he did write about how it consumed the magical light he cast. Later own he talked about how it consumed everything else from metal items to flesh and bones. It especially has a taste for anything that can grow its power such as magic or magical items. We have even been told that the dungeon even grows toward powerful sources so it might consume from them as well. Aleron might not have considered his metrics out for everything. Although he has done a fair job on what his dungeon feeds upon.

Aleron had to have considered it. Why else would he have taken the time to write in the exchange rates? After all settlement pints are for the settlement and Dungeon points are for the dungeon. Ricther had earned settlement points so it should have been expressed in SP’s yet they would have been exchanged for dungeon points when used in the dungeon.

5. darkenedstar

darkenedstar Level 13 (Assassin) Exiles Citizen

88%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    The portal has impenetrable plot armor. Nuff said

6. Gurston

Gurston Level 9 (Burgler) Exiles Citizen

98%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Oh is the portal actually in the dungeon. I thought it was in the entrance room, with the well of offering but out of the actual dungeon, and the fort room was a half in half out building with the entrance to the actual dungeon part in the middle

Captain BlackJack likes this.
  7. Captain BlackJack

24%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    The portal is actually in the dungeon. As the dungeon entrance room is a room in the dungeon. Wasn’t that the entire scheme? Placing the portal inside the dungeon would give another layer of control to what was coming in and out of it. Then with the portcullis it added a whole new layer of protection. Also if it wasn’t in the dungeon it wouldn’t have mattered how many defenders it could have. I have wondered about this myself as to where sentient beings were allowed to enter. My belief is that sentient beings not having Ricthers permission can not enter the Entrance room. Unless perhaps they found their way in to the dungeon by other means. That might still prevent them from exiting the dungeon into his Village.

I also believe that the dungeon prevents dungeon beast from entering the entrance room. My understanding is that dungeons are designed to draw in monsters or beast then not allow them out. So if a beast walks into the entrance room would it be allowed to walk back out or at that point is it stuck only able to move farther into the dungeon. Then perhaps not being allowed back into the entrance room. I see the Dungeons entrance as a near safe room.

Mister Bill likes this.
  8. Dragon

Dragon Level 19 (Enchanter) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    There will likely be ways to break past the barrier, hence the need for the portcullis or the barbican or whatever it was called.

Edit:
    Perhaps a sufficiently skilled magician can seize control of a small fragment of the Dungeon for a time?

Captain BlackJack likes this.
  9. Captain BlackJack

24%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I think it’s like a barbican. It has four portcullis one on each side. The walls adjoining them are doubled one for defending the inner works and one for defending the outer works. That’s all I remember. Aleron probably did call it a barbican. Every time I think of it I think of how Ceaser built the same type of wall around the Gauls when he defeated Vercingetorix. The speed at which the Romans could build earth works and wooden fortifications I don’t think has ever been surpassed.

I could see someone with the right magic being capable of forcing their way in or out of a portal doorway.

10. Mister Bill

Mister Bill Level 14 (Defender) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

59%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Good enough for me.