All things Dungeon

Discussion in 'Debates & Discussions' started by Captain BlackJack, Aug 4, 2020.

1. Andrew Lynas

Andrew Lynas Level 17 (Theurgist) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

87%
    xp:
    Zone:
    UK
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    There's probably Talents to help with that.

Captain BlackJack likes this.
  2. Captain BlackJack

Captain BlackJack Level 16 (Paladin) Exiles Citizen

84%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I think it’s relative to how many people are working on it and their skill level. In 6 months I would expect a full compliment of siege weapons including towers and trebuchets. Not mentioning pavises for all the crossbowmen or a ram.

3. Dragon

Dragon Level 19 (Enchanter) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Trebuchets are complicated siege engines that take a relatively long time to build, you really want them prebuilt as part of your siege train along with your mangonels and your ballistas, that way it won't take much time to get the siege going. You can build a stationary trebuchet and it shouldn't take six months as among siege engines a stationary trebuchet isn't that complicated. You need a counterweight of some kind, a beam and sufficient manpower to pull it back.

The biggest trebuchet that I know of took at least 3 months to build. Warwolf - Wikipedia

A more reasonably seized stationary trebuchet could probably be built in a month or so. Which is a long time to keep an army in one place. The bugbears won't want to besiege the mist village during winter, not in a mountain region.

Depending on range and weight of the projectiles to be fired a counterweight can easily weigh 20 tons. Its also not that accurate, but they are great if you hope to eventually knock a hole in a specific segment of wall that isn't too thick or you just want to rain dead animals, people and garbage down on the defenders. That goes both ways.

Siege towers and battering rams with protective cover shouldn't take much time at all to get built.

4. Captain BlackJack

84%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    We had been told that the dungeon would move and entrances would change. Then adventurers using the node roads would need to rediscover those pathways. I still see this similar to a spider web with the labyrinth in the center connecting to dungeon. Those dungeons surrounding it moving as they flash in and out of existence. Periodically they create new trans dimensional spaces connecting themselves and realigning parts of the web.

In book VII we find out that Ricther can pace entrances in other dungeons and settlements. It was said that those entrances would increase the mana flow and I believe the DP’s

5. Captain BlackJack

84%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Where would you place your next two entrances?

Why would you pick those places?

6. ShoughtLoud

ShoughtLoud Level 18 (Magician) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

81%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    We did?

7. Captain BlackJack

84%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Yes we did.

“Each major settlement or dungeon that is connected by the node road to your dungeon will increase this flow of energy”

Book VII
    Chapter 89
    It starts @ 5:23 in.

Incase anyone was interested.

In book eight Ricther was made aware he gains a new entrance to the dungeon for every five levels. Which means with one more level he will receive a third entrance. We were also told that dungeon masters and keeper could help guide where to place those entrances.

Shout, I was sure you remember all that.

So, one entrance with no doubt should be placed at the Hearth Tree as it is a place of power and a major settlement for the area. That should ramp the dungeon up. The hall of elemental hunters also being at a PoP and a major hemispherical settlement should really run the energies through the roof.

With that Ricthers dungeon should be able to feed on all those energies. I’m looking forward to Ricthers dungeon learning how to use elemental magic. Hopefully in time he could have fire lizards running around.

Fire Lizard (5e Creature) - D&D Wiki

8. Andrew Lynas

87%
    xp:
    Zone:
    UK
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Loved Anne MacCafferys books, especially the Pern series. Really have to re-read them and her son's one's.

9. ShoughtLoud

81%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Ok from the top. In my post I quoted the part of your post that said "In book VII we find out that Ricther can pace entrances in other dungeons and settlements" which we did not. We have no idea what the limitations are on the entrance placement, only the dungeon keeper can place the entrances (ie not Richter so no magic entrance creation and escape from down under for the main man) and it happened in book 8. I doubt they will be allowed free reign in the placement of Dungeon entrances, but since I don't know that, it (free reign placement) should be considered as a possibility for now, but not fact. In book 7 we found out that touching a series of nodes in a row allows one to travel quickly through Dungeons and are called node roads. Also that Ferb wants to find a node road that brings them to HoEH for some reason we are not aware of beyond that it would make trade much much easier.

This new post has a quote that says that any node road to other settlements will increase the ambient mana flow which has nothing to do with what the limitations on placements might be which was the original point of my post.

Seriously, cut this shit out.

IF they can be placed in other settlements as far afield, I agree the HT should get one. It would fulfill the HMs request to let her people farm it and allow Richter to prosper from more advanced fighters farming his Dungeon, and allows an ally who has relatively clean lands and thus less things to train against, to further train up fighters and even regular citizens, through the battling inside. Also by putting an entrance there it allows a node road to be completed to a settlement that otherwise would not have one. Win win win. I do not think Yves should get one.

10. Dragon

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    As far as I remember the closest to that from book 7 is a master node.

As of book 8 Richter was granted a god node. Richter is also told that there will be additional entrances starting from level 10

Now here's the rub (I just noticed this little tidbit from book 7)

So entrances can be placed at the Dungeon Keeper's discretion, as long as whatever limitations - such as minimum and maximum distance from other entrances - that apply are kept. After that it seems Richter is not in direct control of who can enter the Dungeon from those secondary entrances.

11. Dragon

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Looking to the local superpower could provide Richter the answer he needs as to how he might control this. From book seven

ShoughtLoud likes this.
  12. ShoughtLoud

81%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Maybe, it could also be that since they didn't exist that they weren't mentioned. Like when he unlocked his specialty but didn't get the cost for higher energy magic conversion to enchantments, until he actually got the higher energy magic.

13. Dragon

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Its specifically pointed out that he controls "this entrance". :)

Later in book seven we learn a Dungeon can have multiple entrances, book 8 simply told us one method to create them.

14. ShoughtLoud

81%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    It had two entrances so the distinction needed to be made, one in the village, and one for the Labyrinth side which he can't control. I'm not saying that your way isn't a possibility, but I don't think that particular wording is as cut and dry since at the time it only had the one non-Labyrinth-side entrance

15. Dragon

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    As for where I would place this entrance, the first would be ideally placed somewhere in the mountains behind the village where a safe path would otherwise be very expensive, timeconsuming and dangerous to carve from the mountainside. That way villagers would step inside the Dungeon entrance and use their node road to jump straight to the other entrance and exit.

It would also allow Richter to experiment with the second entrance in a relatively safe location.

16. ShoughtLoud

81%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Maybe on the Rione side of the mountains?

17. Andrew Lynas

87%
    xp:
    Zone:
    UK
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    It would also function as an emergency escape or supply route, and are way to for the Dungeon to gather Mountain Beasts (or other terrain beasts depending on ware they are placed).

Last edited: Sep 9, 2020
  18. Captain BlackJack

84%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Shout, I gave a citation for it.
    I really figured you would remember that part of the story.

It says “each major settlement or dungeon connected by the node road.”

That’s part of the announcement for his master node.

How else can Ricther connect to anything without it being by nodes?

The nodes shift Ricther instantly through his dungeon and will do the same for settlements and dungeons. The nodes are portals not actual roads. They call it the node road because it’s a pathway of portals connecting places inter dimensionally.

I did say Ricther can place entrances into settlements and dungeons. Because of the quote above from book seven. We know from book eight he has two entrances to place at this moment. As I said they can guide the dungeon to where they want the entrances.

We have 2 restrictions that we have been told of that is he only gets one entrance per 5 levels and whom can guide the dungeons placement.

19. ShoughtLoud

81%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    The quote isn't about his placeable entrances. It has to do with touching nodes in a sequence in order to reach a new destination. You can't touch just the two entrance nodes for the HoEH and the BotCS and be able to port between them. The master node bends existing roads so that they intersect with the BotCS's Labyrinth-side-entrance node (which is now a god node), making it a hub of sorts. The rest of the nodes in the Barrow are like a driveway and only lead to either the entrance chamber or the god node. Once the Labyrinth roads are connected to the god node (likely by traveling it) then it will start funneling mana.
    The new entrances haven't been explained fully, but if it's still part of the same Dungeon then they might not count as connecting the master node to more settlements. We just don't know for sure because we haven't been given the info that you are saying is already fact. I thinks it's fairly safe to only assume things from previous books is safe to apply to prompts as they are read, and then speculate based what "future" events happen. But like with how he didn't get to see the cost of higher energy enchantments until he had higher energy magic, he doesn't get info in prompts pertaining to things he doesn't have access to yet, and I see no reason for this to have changed.

As an aside, I don't think the kingdom of Yves would be super cool with a new dungeon entrance in their lands, since they would lose out on taxes, and possibly lose their adventurers.

20. Captain BlackJack

84%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    The quote came from the master node announcement. The reference was to it connecting to other dungeons and other Settlements.

We know that Hisako has requested full access for her people. Ricther had also agreed to it. As I said before I think it’s a given the hearth tree gets an entrance. Not only is it a major settlement but it is also a Place of Power. That should count for a lot of new energy and ambient mana. That will help empower the dungeon and Hisakos village as it starts to release its own ambient mana at her PoP.

I understand you don’t like the idea of a entrance being placed in Yves or Yves dungeon. I see it way more favorable For the MV. It would allow for the Dungeon to absorb ambient mana from the PoP at Yves. It could also possibly disrupt other pathways of the node road. It would indeed route some of the HoEHs adventurers. Although those are normal processes. I don’t think anyone in the Kingdom of Yves would consider that as a intentional cutting of their income. They would probably see it as another chance to find greater wealth.

I would rather see Ricther place his new entrances strategically in relationship to power and major settlements. Both major settlements and dungeons were mentioned as adding to Ricthers dungeons power.

If Ricther were to place an entrance in Yves Dungeon it would feed on the Halls ambient elemental energies. Only adventurers allowed into Yves dungeon would have a chance to find their way into the BotCS by its new entrance. It could also prevent Ricther from using his dungeon transport spell in Yves. If Ricther can place an entrance in the dungeon at Yves that would fulfill his obligation to Randy.

If Ricther could place a entrance in Law it would draw on the major settlement and the PoP benefits. It would allow anyone Ricther granted access to entry. That is until it was discovered and the King has access physical denied. The greatest benefit would be if Ricther can use his dungeon transport with all his new entrances. They key thing with placing one directly into Yves would being able to keep its entrance a secret.

At this time Ricther has two entrances to be used. He only needs one more level to get a third. I like the Idea of using them for allies only but he only has one at this time that his dungeon could truly benefit from. With the right allies settlements he could get the major settlement bonus and perhaps some PoP benefits. The biggest benefit would be the ability to reinforce each other instantly with troops and supplies.

With any of these scenarios Ricther should use some DP’s for each entrance built for another portcullis.