All things Dungeon

Discussion in 'Debates & Discussions' started by Captain BlackJack, Aug 4, 2020.

1. Captain BlackJack

Captain BlackJack Level 16 (Paladin) Exiles Citizen

84%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Wasn’t the rabid bear just a normal bear?

Zinga likes this.
  2. Zinga

Zinga Level 4 (Warrior) Exiles Citizen

50%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    What bear? The moonstone clawed one?

I dont remember another bear.

3. Hastur

Hastur Level 10 (Filcher) Exiles Citizen

28%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Back to the dungeon entrances. At the very least I would think they would have to be in Richter's domain. Who cares about a dungeon entrance to the HT, there is going to be a portal. Richter's main portal is in the barbican...which, wait for it...is in the dungeon. Pretty sure where AK is going with this is a separate entrance say to the glade of the quickening. Richter has already made this area safer and off limits to most. This would allow the MV to still train/farm the dungeon while under siege and even perhaps allow covert ops vs the besiegers.

ShoughtLoud and Dragon like this.
  4. Captain BlackJack

84%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    The one he killed then slept on in his PoP.

Zinga likes this.
  5. Captain BlackJack

84%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    You’re right who would care about gaining more ambient mana for the dungeon. Making good on a deal with the Hearth Mother doesn’ mean anything either. All that stuff would just be Ignorant. Why would Aleron even worry with it? It’s not like adding entrances at every 5 levels would be to solve any problems. Who would want to cut out the three day walk to the Heartth Tree with a node road way? That just doesn’t make any sense. The Hearth Mother just needs to get up off that thing and bust out all the gold, silver, platinum, dragons bone etc....... Those money grubbing Sprites Need to get off it and build that portal.

Yeah that entrance should be placed right there in front of that celestial tree. That way sole Pixie Queens bonded tree would be right there for easy access for everyone and everything. That makes good sense to me. I know SEVERAL people that would like that idea. Ricther should probably put one between his and Randy’s bedroom so the can sneak off looking for the node road to the HoEH’s. That way no one would have to know they are looking for it.

Not that Ricthers dungeon transport spell or local portals could do any of that. But hey Who cares about that?

6. Dragon

Dragon Level 19 (Enchanter) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    That would be dangerous but feasible. Maybe into a li
    Richter has never promised HM her own entrance. He has promised her access to the Dungeon for her people. A promise he should obviously keep.

Why would Aleron undermine his own portalsystem when he has spent several books setting it up? That makes zero sense from a story perspective. Its also not the way it has worked with the one Dungeon we have data from.

HM has said she will cover the costs for the HT portal, i'd trust her to know precisely how much it will cost to set up a portal. Good enough for me. This way she will be the one who controls who can fast-travel to and from the HT instead of whoever holds the Dungeon Mastery. They will also be able to shut the portal down against people they do not want to enter their domain.

A portal in the meadow would have to be protected, similar to the way they have the barbican at the main entrance. It wouldn't be left uncovered.

Not sure how this part was relevant but
    Local portals are one-way. They cannot take Richter back to the main portal.

Dungeon transport could.

ShoughtLoud likes this.
  7. Hastur

Hastur Level 10 (Filcher) Exiles Citizen

28%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    The dungeon already gets ambient mana from Richters place of power. I do not believe for a moment that an entrance many miles away would draw ambient mana. Also the sprites are allies and you want to draw off their mana? Not very Ally like.

As Dragon said there is already an agreement in place for a portal...enough said.

Richter already controls access to the dungeon. He and Randy do not need a sneaky entrance when they can stealth.

Never said we should not have other entrances just I think the ideas you put forth are not likely and my post addressed what I thought is.

ShoughtLoud likes this.
  8. Captain BlackJack

84%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Yeah, they are allies. The dungeon would feed on some of the PoPs ambient mana. It would also giving off its own ambient mana in that location as well. So that will actually increase the over all mana at the HT. More ambient mana would be a great help to any allies. Enough said?

We all know the agreement the Hearth Mother made. It could still be built within the dungeon. That would still grant a higher level of security.

9. Captain BlackJack

84%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Drag, you make a statement claiming something is undermining the story.

You can claim anything you like. Yet it’s only a claim unless you explain how it would be undermined.

Dungeon transport is a spell Ricther has.

We know Local portals can be built. We know the large spherical portals can transport along ley lines to the next nexus.

We are also told about the entrances of dungeons and how the node road is used. We have an explanation of the pedestal for the inner dungeon. We know it works similarly to the outer dungeon nodes roads. The Gods node we can only speculate at.

We also know that Ricther has been given two new entrances.

We know that the Hearth Mother asked for access to the dungeon for her people.

What better way can she gain access then having Ricther grant her own entrance at the HT. That’s not saying that the people of the Hearth Tree won’t need to fight their way through two or three levels of Ricthers dungeon to obtain the node pathway to his Village.

If the portal is built inside the Dungeon the Hearth Mother would have full control of it as she has full access to the dungeon. As an ally she would be expected to maintain a permanent guard at her ends barbican.

1. That means access to the dungeon. Achieved
    2. Hearth Mother builds her side portal. Achieved .
    3. As an Ally with access to the dungeon and her portal being built inside it she is required to protect it and must guard it 24/7.
    All goals achieved.

Positioning all future spherical portals inside the dungeon grants extra layers of protection.
    Portals can’t be captured in villages or towns. Only people with permission or those being allies could enter the dungeon to even see the spherical portal. At that point it is still protected by the barbican and troops. Monsters or enemies that find their way into the dungeon would first need to pass through via the barbican to the Mist Village or the allied village.

That’s all a labyrinth creature would need an entrance right in the meadow.

The next Mauler or greater labyrinth creature might not want the dungeons heart. It might decide to bust right on out and snatchthe Celestial tree right from the land which it grows. Then disappear back into the labyrinth.

10. Zinga

50%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    something else to think about is perhaps the new entrances arent even remotely in the same spot as the first, what if they put you out on the other side of the dungeon, still first floor but on the other side. Also, nodes might not let you transport somthin like a wagon full of supplies, just whats on your person.

Captain BlackJack likes this.
  11. Zinga

50%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Oh ya thats right! Book 1, I totally forgot about that

12. Andrew Lynas

Andrew Lynas Level 17 (Theurgist) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

87%
    xp:
    Zone:
    UK
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Items of Holding would sort goods transport problem. And Randy could probably Build a Mini Barbican like Room even without SPs or DPs.

13. Captain BlackJack

84%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I wonder about a beast of burden. If you fought your way through the dungeon. You could get your horse or what ever it may be to nudge the node with its snout. Then you could walk your horse down the node road.

My luck, I would be returning home laden with gold from trades. Getting my horse to nudge the node and passing before me. As I touch the node and reappear at the other side I find my horse with its throat ripped out. Then I realize a Chupacabra is breathing in the back of my ear!

Maybe rickshaws would be better?

Zinga likes this.
  14. Zinga

50%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Hahahaha, that would suck!

Or your horse goes to the wrong node! Lol

15. Andrew Lynas

Andrew Lynas Level 17 (Theurgist) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

87%
    xp:
    Zone:
    UK
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Use mounts and beasts of burden that can defend themselves, War Goats.

16. Dragon

Dragon Level 19 (Enchanter) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    The way you portray dungeon entrances basically makes them free portals to anywhere on or off a leyline. That makes the regular portal system completely obsolete, at least until they reach a Dungeon level high enough that it really starts to slow down levelling speed (at which point there could easily be multiple Dungeons with their own free portal-entrances). With just a couple strategically placed entrances you could reach most locations of interest very rapidly without needing an expensive portal system.

I've made this and similar arguments several times, its not something new :)

Hastur and ShoughtLoud like this.
  17. ShoughtLoud

ShoughtLoud Level 18 (Magician) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

81%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I could get beind this reasoning. Just because a dungeon is generating a/part of a spatial dimension, doesn't mean that dimension spread over the entirety of the Land. It could just represent the same space inter-dimensionally in concert with the other Dungeons of the Land. Maybe it has to tunnel and also physically attach to these new entrances?

18. Captain BlackJack

84%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I think that’s how you want to characterize it.

I never said anything was free in regards to any portal. Besides the two free entrances Ricther has received for the first ten levels of his dungeon.

My statement has been the dungeon can now create inter dimensional spaces. Those space placed between his entrance will be filled with lairs. Those pathways will have to be conquered then those whom have conquered them can port from point to point using the node road from one entrance to the other.

I also made the statement that those entrances will absorb mana. Then at some point they will leak out more ambient mana. For instance a entrance at the HoEH’s would consume all the elemental types of energy. Once learned it will generate its own elemental energies. I believe once the dungeon learns any magical energy and produces it then it leaks back out ambient magic of that type

You might think that makes other portals obsolete, but I do think so.

I haven’t placed any limits on AK’s writings either.

AK has only placed limits on his spherical portals. With having the one way local portals and having to build a spherical portal at every nexus. He hasn’t said you can or can’t place a dungeon entrance anywhere. He only says Ricther has two that they can guide.

The Dungeon in Law hasn’t had a dungeon master or keeper for any period of time that we really know of. The dungeon itself likely dropped its entrances anywhere it could feed or gain power. It was said that all dungeons have their motivations. Ricthers dungeon has its motivations as well yet they get to guide it.

Many adventurers already have no need for Ricthers spherical portals as they regularly port along the node road. That doesn’t eliminate the need for spherical portals. It’s just another way to get somewhere. Like you riding a horse, walking or riding a boat. Each has its own restrictions and abilities but they all get you to the same place. Roundabout different ways.

19. Captain BlackJack

84%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I think within reason attaching to the next dungeon over or the next place of power or even the next large settlement all fits. The dungeon does have its motivations. Connecting to feed on the powers of a PoP, connecting to feed on the next local population/settlement, and connecting to other dungeons are all in the dungeons motivations. You have to admit the dungeon likes to eat!!!!

I think prior to the dungeon gaining the inter dimensional ability it would had to have tunneled. It seems now it might not at level 14.

These entrances are great for the dungeon. Not so great for Ricther over all.

The spherical portals are way better. First of all you don’t have to risk your life to transit them. You can move armies, wagons livestock, or even your family without fear.

The great thing about the dungeon entrances is that Ricther can teleport to them from the surrounding area. That makes a fast dungeon escape for him as long as he is close enough.

A major problem with the dungeon entrances and the node road is it can be broken at anytime. Then you are lost in a dungeon or the labyrinth and have to fight your way out. You wouldn’t even know which way to start fighting to go where you need to. You would be lost.

20. Captain BlackJack

84%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    If you made this and similar arguments why are you arguing with me??? :cool: