All things related to the Mist Village shipyard and their “navy”

Discussion in 'Debates & Discussions' started by Captain BlackJack, Jun 13, 2022.

1. Captain BlackJack

Captain BlackJack Level 16 (Paladin) Exiles Citizen

84%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    What should Ricther do to maximize his ships cradle and the abilities of his first ship?

Who should make up his first crew?

With all the story lines Aleron has created I don’t see how he could get bored with this series. Will Aleron write in some boat action after the boat is finished? Or will Aleron let the Mist Villages only ship go into the void like he has this series? I would expect that when the ship is finished that it will be integrated into the story but I also expected a new book last year.

Mister Bill and Drasius like this.
  2. PokemonThug

PokemonThug Level 17 (Theurgist) Roleplaying Exiles Beta Reader Citizen Aspiring Writer

52%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Id love a submarine or Skyship or bouth and also make a Core Ship cradle... just before creation.. if u can dismantle the ship afterwards.

3. Captain BlackJack

84%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I could see those at some latter point. In the more immediate future consider the mayhem Ricther could make against river pirates and such. Unless Aleron stalls out the timeline again, this next book should have the ship come out of its berth. So what’s a ship worth without an adv

I like the idea of having a core shipyard. Especially if Aleron were to have a river entrance to his dungeon. Having a hidden river entrance were you could not only dock and trade but dry dock for repairs would be awesome. In away it would be like having a WWII secret submarine base. A hidden entrance chamber along the river would be very James Bondish. Especially if it had a small working shipyard and a short range portal. Although the short range portal isn’t necessary as long as they have walk way into the dungeon and not just a water passage. Although the dungeon node road isn’t suitable for large material transportation. Plus anyone transporting would have needed to blaze that pathway first.

4. Captain BlackJack

84%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I hope Ricther finds some Wellermen to help crew his ship. Spearmen just aren’t the same.

Do you think Ricthers ship contingency shoul look like?

What side characters that we know now do you think should make Ricthers first voyage?

I hope to see Beyan added to the Ships roster.

Mister Bill likes this.
  5. Mister Bill

Mister Bill Level 16 (Paladin) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

39%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Wellermen?
    Also, Beyan will be busy with the kindir, IMO. Right?
    I wonder which soul would be used but likely one from a river creature nearby.

Drasius likes this.
  6. Captain BlackJack

84%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    YES WELLERMEN!!!

Urban Dictionary: wellerman

A few professional whalers with the ability not only to throw a harpoon but process any river/ocean beasts they cross.

NO WAY!!!

Beyan is definitely a serious tag along. Could you imagine Ricthers ship going toe to toe with Pirates. Fighting from ship side to ship side. Beyan, casting a spell raising one of their dead behind their ranks.

Mister Bill likes this.
  7. Captain BlackJack

84%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    So what’s the chance Ricther wave boards behind his ship? You know he has to bring something from our world to the game.

Mister Bill likes this.
  8. Mister Bill

39%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    It’s not a game! It’s real life!

9. Captain BlackJack

84%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    That’s right the Land is real but Ricther has “game”.

Urban Dictionary: I got game.

I wouldn’t say Ricther is really a flamboyant character but he does have a lot of Game. Not only when wheeling and dealing. Ricther has “game” with females, the twins, and his people. He has also shown his “game” In the dungeon and during combat.

10. PokemonThug

PokemonThug Level 17 (Theurgist) Roleplaying Exiles Beta Reader Citizen Aspiring Writer

52%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    easy to sell cocky when CHAOS GODS dump POP, Limitless & rando treasures on you

11. Captain BlackJack

84%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    He does need that cockiness jerked out from under him.

12. Dragon

Dragon Level 19 (Enchanter) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Well he has his flagship underway. That's a big oceangoing ship.

I think a fleet of smaller, fleeter, with smaller crews and that don't need water nearly as deep, would serve them well in exploring the smaller waterways and establishing trade relations with their neighbors. They would also be cheaper to mass produce - in manhours and materials if not cash. Throw in some oars for the times when they need to speed up a little more, a chest of holding for a sample of goods and resources, and sent them out across the river ways. No cabins or anything useless like that, just have the crew slep on the deck.

As for building a larger shipyard, I think open cradles should work well enough for Richter's for now. Shipyards take a lot of work and are more of a requirement for the really big ships.

Mister Bill likes this.
  13. Mister Bill

39%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I think smaller ships will get eaten by river monsters.

14. Dragon

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Some risk of that. Could get eaten by a monster going cross country too.

To me river peninsula means a ton of lowlands, swampy terrain and rivers, beyond the massive ones on the map. Most smaller natural river don't allow for large vessels, you need boats that can pass the shallow places such as sandbanks. Richter doesn't live in Yves or somewhere where waterways are maintained for sailing.

Mister Bill and Drasius like this.
  15. Captain BlackJack

84%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Small boats get eaten?

What about the fishermen?
    Do they only fish from banks now?
    If they already have fishing boats how big are they?
    How many people can fit on them?
    Do they fish in parties of five?

Mister Bill likes this.
  16. Captain BlackJack

84%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I know that the river peninsula has some large number of rivers transversing it. It also seems to be made up of some hills. I would have presumed that the entire river peninsula was a delta if those hills hadn’t been mentioned.

Drasius likes this.
  17. Dragon

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I think it is mostly a delta. If you look at the map you have the serrated mountains cutting the continent in half, except that the eastern part of the chain is called the firetip mountains and the western part is nameless on the map.

East of Yves there is the singing hills and to the south the ocean. That would mean any clouds coming from that direction is eventually going to hit the serrated mountains. There is actually a pretty fascinating natural mechanic that could be brought into play here. https://www.dtn.com/how-do-mountains-affect-precipitation/

TLDR when clouds have to pass over a mountainchain, they cool down and the water condenses, meaning it falls as rain. Hence Richter will be getting more rains and more snow because he is living near a mountain chain than a lowlander would. Fascinating.

At the same time mountain snow melts during spring and summer, leading to higher waterlevels in the rivers and easier access to the village. With mountains or large hills on three sides, it kinda makes sense that the main area - forest of Nadria and Yves - would have a whole lot of waterways and some seasonal flooding. That might be especially bad in Yves since kinda cut back the woodlands.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2022
  18. Mister Bill

39%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Yes and yes. Plus fishermen should know where they’re fishing and where the danger is in their area.

19. Captain BlackJack

84%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Nets woven with fulgurite and enchanted with electrical eels souls and spirits.

Tridents enchanted with the souls of electrical eels and lighting stones encrusted in the shaft.

Both items would have a stun affect at its first level.

Mister Bill likes this.