An Ass of a Review

Discussion in 'All Things LitRPG' started by Zachariah Dracoulis, Dec 21, 2017.

1. Zachariah Dracoulis

Zachariah Dracoulis God Emperor of LitRPG (I can be an egotist too) LitRPG Author Citizen

12%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    So... I just got my first review for Fragged 6, and let me start off with saying it ain't good, and not just because it's a two star.
    Lads and ladies, it has been dictated by the LitRPG Podcast that, after 5 issues with no trouble, Fragged 6 is "Not LitRPG".
    Now, it is true that this issue was light on stats (they were still there, there was just less), though this was in exchange for more story, emotion, and action so that we could kick off the 'second season' without losing too much of the relatively small word limit to stats.
    Now, this wouldn't worry me so much if A) it wasn't such a pedantic review, B) it wasnt my first and only review (courtesy of me being booted from Facebook and not being able to market in those crucial first few days), and C) it didn't sodomize my sales/reads to the nth degree.
    Why do I post this here?
    Firstly, because I like complaining.
    Secondly, because I wanted to show that this could happen to anyone.
    Thirdly, because I need reviews, now more than ever.
    I don't care if they're more 1/2 star reviews, I just want to know if there is actually something wrong with my book, and to see what I could improve on in later issues.
    The fact of the matter is I'm not about to give up and change all my LitRPG to GameLit because someone decided it 'wasn't LitRPG', but at the same time this has been a real eye-opener in terms of reminding me just how much a review like this can damage not only a series, but also a career.
    So, please, if you have the time, leave an HONEST review.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0788R54K8/

LitRPG_chick and Alexis Keane like this.
  2. Windfall

Windfall Level 18 (Magician) LitRPG Author Citizen

25%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Sorry to hear. That sucks.

Since your episodes seem to be really short, and this one is clearly a part of a longer series, I wonder why there is need to have "LitRPG" elements present all the time? I mean, can't characters do something else for a while? And who gets to decide what is LitRPG and what is not anyway?

To clarify: I think it's unfair to suddenly say something is not LitRPG anymore when it's clearly part of something bigger and if there are LitRPG elements present in the story as a whole.

3. Zachariah Dracoulis

Zachariah Dracoulis God Emperor of LitRPG (I can be an egotist too) LitRPG Author Citizen

12%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    My thoughts exactly, if it were some random novel with no ties to LitRPG I'd kind of get it, but it's a direct follow-on from a a solid half-dozen other LitRPG.

4. Gryphon

Gryphon Level 18 (Magician) LitRPG Author Citizen

43%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I've always seen your work as interesting. Never picked one up because of one reason or another, but I think this might make me pick it up. I always try to leave reviews for authors here. Where would you suggest starting. Can I start of six since you're calling it season two or should I start at one?

5. Ian Mitchell

Ian Mitchell Level 15 (Guardian) LitRPG Author Roleplaying Shop Owner Beta Reader Citizen Aspiring Writer

8%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I dropped a review. I still haven't read 5 yet (I'll get back to it). I think most of his reviews are decent. Not this time. Wondering if it was over your comment about Aleron or that you plugged Conquest in the back (there was a huge sh*t storm with him over conquest and its litRPGness). Not sure what his deal is. They aren't all that long. Not sure if other authors make sure to level stuff multiple things within every 70 page section. eh.

6. Ian Mitchell

Ian Mitchell Level 15 (Guardian) LitRPG Author Roleplaying Shop Owner Beta Reader Citizen Aspiring Writer

8%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    For what its worth, I think he missed the word "Series" in his review. liRPG Short story by itself kind of misses the point.

7. Zachariah Dracoulis

12%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Thanks so much Ian, I just saw it.

8. Ian Mitchell

8%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I left a comment on his review. I rarely do but putting that in the title sounds like he's stating a fact.

9. Zachariah Dracoulis

12%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    If you're up for leaving an honest review, I'll gladly give you the first five episodes in a PDF (not being ubercharitable, issues 1-5 have just seen their time in the spotlight so I'm more open to gifting them out)

10. Ian Mitchell

8%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I'm good on the other ones, I'll buy the ones I don't already have since that will show verified purchase.

11. Ian Mitchell

8%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I'd already reviewed the first 2. I'll reread and review 3-5.

12. Ian Mitchell

8%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Was kind of interesting. After buying 4 of them, on the 5th amazon said you already have 4 of the 6, would you like to buy the last 2?

13. Zachariah Dracoulis

12%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Oooh, that's cool. And thank you again man, it really does mean a lot.

14. Ian Mitchell

8%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I reworded the comment to make it a bit more clear.

15. Ian Mitchell

8%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Ian Mitchell 1 second ago (Edited)

This one could use a different title unless you really are trying to state it as a fact. Is your title a declaration of the Not LitRPGness of the book? Or the series? Has he strayed? Are you suggesting misrepresentation?

16. Kevin Murphy

Kevin Murphy Red-headed Stepchild of LitRPG LitRPG Author Citizen

68%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Right now, during the holidays, it's hard for me to read a new series. I want to leave a fair review as soon as possible, though.
    That LitRPG Podacast review is surprisingly subjective when it needs to be as objective as possible. Since the novella is so short, it's really counterproductive to sacrifice plot or direction just to throw in exp/stats/etc. if it doesn't need to be there. If there were a 50 page section of a 200+ page book without direct reference to game mechanics it would probably be fine. Ultimately, I know that all reviews are subjective, and--despite any circumstances--I do think that his podcast is a step in the right direction for the genre.

This really helps to tell a story, though. If readers perceive LitRPG only as stats and game progression, then the genre is a lot more restrictive than I ever gave it credit for. I know that's not particularly helpful for you right now, when you most need reviews, but it's about all I'm good for until after the new year.

17. Zachariah Dracoulis

12%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    That's actually really helpful, thank you.
    and your point on the restrictiveness of the genre in the eyes of reviewers is something I wholly agree with (that's one of the many reasons why a few of us founded GameLit). I will say ive noticed reviewers becoming more critical as of late (it used to be just books without stats that were labelled 'Not LitRPG', then it was books without the 'right' stats, and now it seems that if you don't have enough, regardless of what the story calls for, it's 'not LitRPG').

18. Ian Mitchell

8%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
  19. Ian Mitchell

8%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Someone put a 5 star review on Fragged 6. Yay.

20. Ian Mitchell

8%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    and a 4th review now. I guess even with a poor review, the podcast did make people aware that 6 was out.