WIP Ancient Civilisations Online Thread

Discussion in 'Works in Progress' started by Chris Marchant, May 18, 2018.

1. Angel Ramon

Angel Ramon DukeNukemFreak05 LitRPG Author Citizen

40%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Puerto Rico
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Is this something like Age of Empires then that would be awesome! My fav civ was the Romans ;)

Alexis Keane likes this.
  2. Chris Marchant

Chris Marchant Level 6 (Footpad) LitRPG Author Beta Reader Citizen Aspiring Writer

85%
    xp:
    Zone:
    EU
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Well according to OBOD (Order of Bards, Ovates and Druids) you are first initiated as a bard, then once you have passed that level, you train as a an ovate, that is the healing level, only once you have completed both of those do you start studying as a druid. I know this is one of the modern schools of druids, but I think it is closest to what the ancient druids would have studied, and bearing in mind that literacy was a rare thing at that time, and most knowledge was passed orally, bards were the main teachers of knowledge.

Alexis Keane and Paul Bellow like this.
  3. WarbVIII

WarbVIII Level 6 (Footpad) Roleplaying Beta Reader Citizen

78%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Sorry for being unable to respond for a bit,life sometimes takes time away from fun.
    I guess if you don't want to be historically accurate then what I am saying doesn't matter all that much. Yet, I will point out that the Illiad and Oddesey were from a time AFTER the explosion of Thera, at the time the Greeks had finally defeated the Minoans ravaged by the Volcano. Then there is the fact that those epics might have some truths in them but that does not make them factual. Your french friend is both right that he is Gaulish but wrong he is not a Celt. It has also been long known where Phonecia came from and that Carthage was a colony of theirs, I am reasonably sure it was not around in 1200BCE.
    The best records for Druids and Bards are most likely the Irish colleges prior to the spread of christianity on the island. I would look into that for insights for not all of the records are gone even now. Yes,literacy was rare in that time but what would the druids be reading? The Celts had no true written language,ogahm(probably misspelling that), was closer to the runes of the vikings than an actual written language. Also btw not messing with you just trying to help or steer you to places you might find some info you can use.

Alexis Keane likes this.
  4. Chris Marchant

Chris Marchant Level 6 (Footpad) LitRPG Author Beta Reader Citizen Aspiring Writer

85%
    xp:
    Zone:
    EU
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    That's one of the reasons I posted here, any more information is a bit more than I had before. Also it's a long time since I studied, theories will have changed, more things found out, like the Hittites.

Another reason was to find out how much interest there was in my potential series. I spent more than one day this week researching, one day I got through three books. The Etruscans, The Minoans and Mycenaeans, and The Hittites. I will be looking at Edward Anwyl's Celtic Religion in Pre-Christian Times, but I don't expect to get a lot from that

Paul Bellow and Alexis Keane like this.
  5. Alexis Keane

Alexis Keane Level 14 (Defender) Roleplaying Beta Reader Citizen Aspiring Writer

62%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    nods
    One concern would be that the overlap of those interested in litrpg and historical fiction is significantly smaller than the overlap of those interested in litrpg and fantasy/sci-fi... I'm just wondering how far this is going to be a historical story as to how far it will be a high-tech portal story (as most litrpgs are, even if they take place in historical settings)

Paul Bellow likes this.
  6. Chris Marchant

85%
    xp:
    Zone:
    EU
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    It is planned to be a typical LitRPG type, with quests, character creation, NPC interaction. Skill as opposed to class based. Same as any fantasy or science fiction based LitRPG, but in an historical setting. I plan dungeons, village and town building (though I plan at this point to restrict village and town building to guilds), solo and group questing. In the future I'm considering guild owned trading boats, possibly even guild owned merchant caravans (imagine a guild hiring another guild to guard their merchant caravan?)

I'm using the historical background as it is one I am familiar with, and also because it will be something different in our genre.

Saying that I'm cooking a few different ideas, one fantasy (part written), one science fiction, another one or two historical depending on how this idea goes. (Pirates Online anyone?)

Paul Bellow likes this.