Anime Recommendations Thread

Discussion in 'Anime, Manga, Light Novels' started by Paul Bellow, May 20, 2017.

1. Paul Bellow

Paul Bellow Forum Game Master Staff Member LitRPG Author Shop Owner Citizen Aspiring Writer

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Long list of anime recommendations...

2. lordnova

lordnova Level 10 (Filcher) Roleplaying Shop Owner Citizen Aspiring Writer

90%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Mountain States
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I dont watch much anime, and most of what I do/have watched has already ended, but here are my recommendations, in no particular order.

Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex -- Led by Daisuke Aramaki and Motoko Kusanagi, Section 9 deals with such crimes over the entire social spectrum, usually with success. However, when faced with a new A level hacker nicknamed "The Laughing Man," the team is thrown into a dangerous cat and mouse game, following the hacker's trail as it leaves its mark on Japan.

Neon Genesis Evangelion -- Written by Hideaki Anno, Neon Genesis Evangelion is a heroic tale of a young boy who will become a legend. But as this psychological drama unfolds, ancient secrets beneath the big picture begin to bubble to the surface...

07-Ghost -- Barsburg Empire's Military Academy is known for training elites who bring victory to the empire. Students of the academy freely utilize an ability called "Zaiphon" to fight, while the types of Zaiphon usable depends on the nature of the soldier.

Rurouni Kenshin -- Rurouni Kenshin: Meiji Kenkaku Romantan tells the story of Kenshin as he strives to save those in need of saving. However, as enemies from both past and present begin to emerge, will the reformed killer be able to uphold his new ideals?

Bleach -- Ichigo Kurosaki is an ordinary high schooler—until his family is attacked by a Hollow, a corrupt spirit that seeks to devour human souls. It is then that he meets a Soul Reaper named Rukia Kuchiki, who gets injured while protecting Ichigo's family from the assailant. To save his family, Ichigo accepts Rukia's offer of taking her powers and becomes a Soul Reaper as a result.

Death Note -- A shinigami, as a god of death, can kill any person—provided they see their victim's face and write their victim's name in a notebook called a Death Note. One day, Ryuk, bored by the shinigami lifestyle and interested in seeing how a human would use a Death Note, drops one into the human realm.

Elfen Lied -- Lucy is a special breed of human referred to as "Diclonius," born with a short pair of horns and invisible telekinetic hands that lands her as a victim of inhumane scientific experimentation by the government. However, once circumstances present her an opportunity to escape, Lucy, corrupted by the confinement and torture, unleashes a torrent of bloodshed as she escapes her captors.

Trigun -- Vash the Stampede is the man with a $$60,000,000,000 bounty on his head. The reason: he's a merciless villain who lays waste to all those that oppose him and flattens entire cities for fun, garnering him the title "The Humanoid Typhoon." He leaves a trail of death and destruction wherever he goes, and anyone can count themselves dead if they so much as make eye contact—or so the rumors say. In actuality, Vash is a huge softie who claims to have never taken a life and avoids violence at all costs.

Seagrim, Ian Mitchell and Paul Bellow like this.
  3. Lily

Lily Level 2 (Initiate) Citizen

0%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Elfen Lied is nice thing, watched it twice. Also Paranoia Agent is interesting one, not that typical.

4. Lily

Lily Level 2 (Initiate) Citizen

0%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I wish you'd create topic about manga, I have some unusual horror things to recommend

Seagrim and Paul Bellow like this.
  5. Paul Bellow

Paul Bellow Forum Game Master Staff Member LitRPG Author Shop Owner Citizen Aspiring Writer

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I just changed the name of this sub-forum. Feel free to post about manga here now too.

6. Paul Bellow

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
  7. DJ Schinhofen

DJ Schinhofen Creator of Worlds. LitRPG Author Roleplaying Citizen Aspiring Writer

21%
    xp:
    Zone:
    The Void
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Gate- a decent anime about a gate to another world opening up in Japan. the JSDF goes through and holds a beachhead on the otherside. One of my favorites, love Rory Mercury.
    Grimgar of Fantasy and Ash- A darker tale of transported to another world. It is well done and gives a darker grittier feel to the old staple.
    Log Horizon- Trapped in an MMORPG after the latest patch.

Ian Mitchell, Paul Bellow and Seagrim like this.
  8. Seagrim

Seagrim Level 18 (Magician) LitRPG Author Citizen

35%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Magical Girl Raising Project - Think of a cross between magical girls and Battle Royale.
    Overlord - One of the few shows where the overpowered character is done well. I'm also hoping for a season two.
    Is it wrong to try to pick up girls in a dungeon - it's just FUN!
    I couldn't become a hero, so I reluctantly decided to get a job - What happens to those training to be heroes if the Dark Lord is defeated before they graduate.

Ian Mitchell and Paul Bellow like this.
  9. Ian Mitchell

Ian Mitchell Level 15 (Guardian) LitRPG Author Roleplaying Shop Owner Beta Reader Citizen Aspiring Writer

8%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    An interesting one that I ran across at crunchyroll: [C] - The Money of Soul and Possibility Control.
    I usually to watch subtitled anime, but one that I really liked the dub of was Soul Eater (I watched it on Netflix).

Paul Bellow likes this.
  10. Seagrim

35%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Crunchyroll and Funimation have worked out a deal, where instead of trying one up each other, they're now sharing their anime. Dubbed stuff over on Funimation, subtitled items on Crunchyroll. Crunchyroll just got a ton of new anime to pad out their catalog that had been Funimation titles, Funimation has a lot of the recent additions to Crunchyroll in their dubbing queue. I and my owner are anime fans, and we have a Roku, so, if they have a Roku channel and have anime, we subscribe. Canceled our cable so we just have high-speed internet coming in...

The insane thing is, since we've done that and subscribed to streaming services, we now have more to watch than we ever had on cable...no commercials. Don't miss those at all.

Paul Bellow likes this.
  11. Felicity Weiss

Felicity Weiss Musey Muse Muse Shop Owner Citizen

62%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Oregon
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Your ... your owner?

Seagrim likes this.
  12. Seagrim

35%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    My Wife. I'm just a guy who's honest about things.

Some guys, their purpose is lawn maintenance and car repair, mine is IT service and dishwashing.

Ian Mitchell and Felicity Weiss like this.
  13. DJ Schinhofen

DJ Schinhofen Creator of Worlds. LitRPG Author Roleplaying Citizen Aspiring Writer

21%
    xp:
    Zone:
    The Void
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    It's fine to be owned by the person you love. My book might touch on that subject.... :p

14. Ian Mitchell

Ian Mitchell Level 15 (Guardian) LitRPG Author Roleplaying Shop Owner Beta Reader Citizen Aspiring Writer

8%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I guess I really ought to upgrade my crunchyroll to include both. Honestly I think 90% of my video watching is on crunchyroll.

15. Readsalot

Readsalot Level 13 (Assassin) Citizen

68%
    xp:
    Zone:
    South Africa
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Thank you! It's good to be back - and see how much it's grown and how active it is. Great job!

So, since we're on the topic of anime recommendations:

I prefer my anime (like all my entertainment, including movies, series and books) to have a blend of action and humour. Therefore, these are my Top Ten Favourites. I've ranked according to the My Anime List database, including the MAL scores for reference.

1. Hunter X Hunter (2011)
    My Score 9/10
    MAL Score 9.12

2. Haikyuu!! (2014)
    My Score 9/10
    MAL Score 8.91 (2nd Season)

3. Hajime no Ippo (2000)
    My Score 9/10
    MAL Score 8.82

4. Kuroko no Basket (2012)
    My Score 9/10
    MAL Score 8.59 (3rd Season)

5. Shokugeki no Souma (2015)
    My Score 9/10
    MAL Score 8.58

6. Bakemono no Ko (2015)
    My Score 9/10
    MAL Score 8.55 (Movie)

7. One Outs (2008)
    My Score 9/10
    MAL Score 8.4

8. Nanatsu no Taizai (2014)
    My Score 9/10
    MAL Score 8.36

9. Shijou Saikyou no Deshi Kenichi (2006)
    My Score 9/10
    MAL Score 8.24

10. Overlord (2015)
    My Score 9/10
    MAL Score 8.04

16. CheshirePhoenix

CheshirePhoenix Crazy Hermit on the Hill LitRPG Author Beta Reader Citizen Editor Aspiring Writer

96%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    It's hard to recommend anime wholesale, because everyone likes different genres. It's a VERY broad category, so I just usually go with this:

https://m.imgur.com/gallery/nnG8W

It's a huge recommendation list divided by must-see and genre.

Readsalot likes this.
  17. Viergacht

Viergacht Thunderdragon LitRPG Author Roleplaying Beta Reader Citizen Aspiring Writer

94%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    My all time favorite series is probably "Vision of Escaflowne". It's got pretty much everything in there, from cat girls to giant magitech robots. Really interesting worldbuilding.

CheshirePhoenix likes this.
  18. Readsalot

Readsalot Level 13 (Assassin) Citizen

68%
    xp:
    Zone:
    South Africa
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Looks pretty cool, but I rarely enjoy anime that's so old. I've tried. There are so many good animes out there, but nearly every time if it's that old I don't get past the first few episodes.

CheshirePhoenix and Viergacht like this.
  19. Viergacht

Viergacht Thunderdragon LitRPG Author Roleplaying Beta Reader Citizen Aspiring Writer

94%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I had to look it up and jeez, I didn't realize it had been so long . . . dammit, Readsalot, you're making me feel old *shakes cane* Get off my lawn!

Readsalot and CheshirePhoenix like this.
  20. CheshirePhoenix

CheshirePhoenix Crazy Hermit on the Hill LitRPG Author Beta Reader Citizen Editor Aspiring Writer

96%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Yeah, art styles and animation techniques have really evolved. Still, Escaflowne, Fist of the North Star, Trigun, Rurouni Kenshin, and Cowboy Bebop are all good enough that you might enjoy them even given the old hand drawn look.