Anime Recommendations Thread

Discussion in 'Anime, Manga, Light Novels' started by Paul Bellow, May 20, 2017.

1. Matthew James

Matthew James Blind Beholder Beta Reader Citizen

38%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Holy shit this came out in when I went cold turkey from tv and the internet... this goes on my list of things to watch now.

I would recommend (didn't see it on anyones list) Buccanno and Durarara, both shows have a unique off beat pace. I love anything with that bizarro navel gazing that the Japanese market towards teens, they're quirky and great as long as there isn't lolicon bullshit (Gatari) or full blown Elfen Leid kids murdering kids garbage. Mekakucity Actors is another one that just has this "off" pace with weird visuals, I don't what the style of anime is actually called but its definitely something I could imagine myself having watched in high school while eating fruit loops with a spork. Enjoying such shows as an adult just makes me high on life and better able to appreciate the anime. :rolleyes:

Stupid Fun - D-Frag

Serious Stupid - Full Metal Panic

Seagrim likes this.
  2. CheshirePhoenix

CheshirePhoenix Crazy Hermit on the Hill LitRPG Author Beta Reader Citizen Editor Aspiring Writer

96%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Serious Stupid combined with navel gazing would be FLCL or Excel Saga.

Heartily second Durarara!! And Durarara!!x2, along with Baccano.

I'd also like to tender a recommendation for Keijo!!!!!!!! (Yes, it has that many exclamation points). It's shameless pandering and fanservicey, but it's self-aware enough to get away with it.

[​IMG]

I don't really like the art style of Mekakucity Actors, it's over saturated and washed out simultaneously which I didn't even know was possible.

I actually really like Elfen Lied.

Seagrim and Matthew James like this.
  3. Daigon

Daigon Level 7 (Cutpurse) Beta Reader Citizen

60%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I use anime.tv, but make sure your virus protection is up to date.

Some good new ones are knights and magic, my hero academia, is it wrong to pick up girls in a dungeon, and ugh ...the one where he takes the goddess aqua as his bonus. I forget the name

shiningHatsya likes this.
  4. CheshirePhoenix

CheshirePhoenix Crazy Hermit on the Hill LitRPG Author Beta Reader Citizen Editor Aspiring Writer

96%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Crunchyroll is $6.95/month. Please support anime being exported over here instead of using less-than-legit sites for it.

By legitimately paying for anime, you're also helping their sales figures, which drives renewals of our favorite series. Isn't that worth the cost of a coffee at a coffee shop, or a happy meal at McDonald's?

5. CheshirePhoenix

96%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Also, you're thinking of Konosuba.

6. Daigon

60%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Yes that's it

7. Daigon

60%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I had crunchy roll but when the servers are down so much it's a waste. I'd rather a cable network pick it up or offer it through a premium like hbo

8. CheshirePhoenix

96%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Amazon has AnimeStrike also at $6.95 or $7.95, I forget which. For dubs, there's Funimation. And I've never had an issue with CR uptime in the years I've been subbed to them. My only issue is that instead of a monthly payment, it's every 30 days which adds up to an extra charge every year.

There's also VRV on the PlayStation/chromecast/et al. Free, but ad supported. Comcast and other major cable providers also have an on-demand anime streaming service that you can subscribe to through your cable box or satellite cable plan. Also, Hulu, although they've dropped the license for about 80% of their anime catalogue which makes it harder for them to pick up new streaming licenses.

There are any number of ways you can pay for shit legitimately. What it boils down to is, most people don't want to so they find excuses not to. Don't be That Guy.

Seagrim likes this.
  9. Viergacht

Viergacht Thunderdragon LitRPG Author Roleplaying Beta Reader Citizen Aspiring Writer

94%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I just finished Assassination Classroom - found it to be quite a bit of fun, although the episode structure does get formulaic. The gist of it is, a superpowered alien-like dude who looks like a tall yellow octopus with an emoji head shows up, blasts the moon into a permanent crescent, and announces he'll destroy the Earth in exactly a year unless someone can kill him . . . and then he starts teaching a class of high-school misfits and underachievers in both regular studies and the art of assassination, the better to kill him. And he turns out to be the kind of caring, perceptive, helpful teacher any kid having a hard time would want, as well as a total goofball. It's almost enough to make you feel bad he has to be murdered to save the world.

Anyways, the writing is clever and funny and doesn't rely too heavily on the usual tropes. It's only two seasons so it doesn't overstay its welcome. I watched it dubbed and was impressed with the job they did.

CheshirePhoenix likes this.
  10. Readsalot

Readsalot Level 13 (Assassin) Citizen

68%
    xp:
    Zone:
    South Africa
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Watched the first episode of Shokugeki no Soma Season 3 last night. Just as awesome as all the previous seasons. Now I have to wait until I have a few episodes lined up so I can binge them...

Shokugekis311.jpg

CheshirePhoenix likes this.
  11. Gray

Gray Level 6 (Footpad) Citizen

98%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    You can't know how good it makes me feel to know someone else out there in the internetlandia has seen this anime. I really, honestly, truly, thought I was the only one.

Readsalot likes this.
  12. Seagrim

Seagrim Level 18 (Magician) LitRPG Author Citizen

35%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Yes, good show. my wife and I catch it...but we're behind since it's hard to get her to watch subtitled stuff on a regular basis. We'll catch some while eating, but, she insists on dubbed for that. So, it's usually just when we're sitting down and watching TV just to watch TV that we'll put that on....

And that kind of TV watching cuts into prime gaming time.

Readsalot likes this.
  13. Viergacht

Viergacht Thunderdragon LitRPG Author Roleplaying Beta Reader Citizen Aspiring Writer

94%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Just started watching Shiki, on episode 5 and not sure if I am going to continue. Basically a trio of vampires move to a small, isolated Japanese town and start to slowly take it over - an Asian version of Salem's Lot pretty much. The first to go is a screeching, self-absorbed pink-haired brat who is so obnoxious it's honestly a relief when she kicks the bucket, but unfortunately there aren't really any likeable or interesting characters yet. The character designs are a weird contrast between the fairly realistically older folks and non-vital characters, and the main character who all have Dorito faces and one of the most unpleasantly stylized giant eye designs I've ever seen (that makes them look like monsters even before they become vampires), and several characters have hairstyles so bizarre it looks like sculptures of extruded foam - and these are the normal humans, not the vampires. There isn't any reason for it, and the show would have benefitted if someone told the art director to dial it back. Anyways, as of episode 5 we're finally getting some actual action as opposed to hints, so I'll probably give it another couple of eps to see if it shapes up.

14. Seagrim

Seagrim Level 18 (Magician) LitRPG Author Citizen

35%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    It's probably because it's an adaption that went from a manga to light novel to anime. The art style is adapted from the manga, which would mean changing it would deviate from the source material. Japanese horror manga has some very...Lovecraftian motifs. One I was looking at was the "Magical Girls of the Apocalypse". In Call of Cthulu RPG terms, it's a manga that has a sanity cost for reading. Here's just one of them...Eyes also seem to be a major thing to mess with in horror manga.

magical girls of the apocalypse.jpg

15. CheshirePhoenix

96%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Something all cultures have in common is the eye thing. Creepy eyes read across everything and are even the biggest contributor to the uncanny valley effect.

16. Kevin Murphy

Kevin Murphy Red-headed Stepchild of LitRPG LitRPG Author Citizen

68%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I'll watch anything with tournaments.

My favorites off the top of my head are:
    • Hunter X Hunter (especially the older version due in no small part to how creepy Hisoka is)
    • Hajime no Ippo
    • Is It Wrong To Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon?
    • Your Lie in April (absurdly good)
    • Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann
    • Berserk (the movies, not either of the shows)

Paul Bellow likes this.
  17. Readsalot

68%
    xp:
    Zone:
    South Africa
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Started watching this and it's FANTASTIC. Beautiful art with one of the most stunning opening sequences I've ever seen and a deep, thoughtful narrative that really delves into various aspects of society and development, while still keeping it light and entertaining. A must-watch in my opinion.

[​IMG]

18. CheshirePhoenix

96%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I just wish that had more seasons. Still, it ended on a better scene than some one season anime at least.

DJ Schinhofen and Readsalot like this.
  19. shiningHatsya

shiningHatsya Level 3 (Apprentice) Citizen Aspiring Writer

90%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I'd currently recommend Made in Abyss, 'cuz it feels like a descending dungeon crawler adventure anime with juxtaposing visuals, and great soundtrack.

On the Netflix camp, I'm still waiting for Knights of Sidonia & Ajin Season 3, and/or anything anime Polygon Pictures do.

20. Readsalot

68%
    xp:
    Zone:
    South Africa
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I was intrigued by the first EP of Made in Abyss but my brother wasn't, so it's on hold. I loved Knights of Sidonia - great space opera.

Good news is that 2018 starts with two of my favourite animes: Overlord and Seven Deadly Sins.

Seagrim and CheshirePhoenix like this.