Another New Convert

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Berserk, Sep 13, 2018.

1. Berserk

Berserk Level 10 (Filcher) Beta Reader Citizen Aspiring Writer

76%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Toronto
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Greetings everyone!

Audible introduced me to the litrpg genre not long ago when it recommended Edward Brody's Eden's Gate to me. I worked through the four books currently available in that series and moved onto Aleron Kong's The Land series. I figured if the guy has the balls to call himself the Father of American Litrpg then I should see what he's offering, a line of reasoning that resulted in quite a happy discovery.

I'm currently halfway through the second audio book in the series and they've been very enjoyable. The skill of the narrator (narrators?) is on another level from Eden's Gate and the production quality just feels so much better. I think I prefer the magic system of Eden's Gate though. I'm not a big fan of the system Kong has created; lei lines and places of power are kinda meh. The cavalier attitude that Kong writes with though is more than enough to make me overlook the parts I don't like and just enjoy the ride.

I was planning on checking out either The Contractors or Ascend Online. I've read good things about both. I might also consider trying my hand at writing a short story. I'd like to read something set in one of the world wars but my quick searching turned up nothing so I might as well try my hand in those settings. It would be a good opportunity to learn to write fiction, I'm in my fourth year at the University of Toronto and am getting a bit tired of writing nothing but essays all the time.

Anyways though, I'm quite happy that Amazon revealed this genre to me and if you gents have any suggestions on what to check out next, whether it is Ascend, Contractors, or something please let me know. Also if you guys know anything set in the Great War or World War II please share.

J.S., NoahWhitaker and Paul Bellow like this.
  2. NoahWhitaker

NoahWhitaker Corgi Servant LitRPG Author Citizen

30%
    xp:
    Zone:
    New England, USA
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    [​IMG]

I haven't read The Contractors, but Ascend Online is definitely a good choice. And I know I for one would love to read a world war themed LitRPG -- go for it!

Berserk likes this.
  3. Paul Bellow

Paul Bellow Forum Game Master Staff Member LitRPG Author Shop Owner Citizen Aspiring Writer

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Welcome aboard. If you buy the Used Typewriter in the shops, you can get into our Aspiring Writers' Guild. ;)

DragonByte Shop | LitRPG Forum

Good to have you here. Let me know if you have any questions. I'll be over here enjoying some Elven Cookies!

[​IMG]

Berserk likes this.
  4. Berserk

Berserk Level 10 (Filcher) Beta Reader Citizen Aspiring Writer

76%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Toronto
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    After reading on the forum about all the drama around Kong and him trying to trademark LitRPG I feel like I committed a sin when I said I'm reading through his work

5. Jay

Jay Hiatus. LitRPG Author Beta Reader Citizen Aspiring Writer

30%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    [​IMG]

And don't feel bad. Hell, most of us have read Kong. Honestly, the first few books in the series are the best in my opinion. I've read 1-6 personally; I'm hemming and hawing on reading 7 because I'm damn curious to see if it's as bad as they say.

The Land itself isn't bad, but it definitely suffers from a lack of an editor to rein in the author's ego a bit and tweak the story. It's a diamond in the rough, which is why it's even sadder to me. So much potential, but it seems like every book just gets more and more juvenile.

J.S. and Paul Bellow like this.
  6. Paul Bellow

Paul Bellow Forum Game Master Staff Member LitRPG Author Shop Owner Citizen Aspiring Writer

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    No worries. We welcome pretty much everyone here at the retro LitRPG Forum. ;)

[​IMG]