Are you a Reader or Writer

Discussion in 'All Things LitRPG' started by Dustin Tigner, Aug 11, 2017.

Tags:
?

Reader or Writer

1. Reader

25.0%
  2. Writer

75.0%
  1. Felicity Weiss

Felicity Weiss Musey Muse Muse Shop Owner Citizen

62%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Oregon
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    UH HUH. But you ignored my last tweet so I dunno....
    Hee hee
    Pfft, you don't have a tyrant bone in your body.
    TRYNA DITCH ME </3
    Excellent idea. Truly. We should have a presence on Reddit too in the LitRPG space over there. So ppl there know of our existence. That would be a good way to introduce us? I dunno if Reddit allows links to other forum sites though. @Larakel , you are our Reddit expert, any idea?
    One of the reasons I keep being drawn back to Ramon's website is for his list of `new releases. On Goodreads, the readers seem to want to know the dates of these releases. This is good info thave available. Which we DO but maybe it needs to be more prominent somehow? I dunno.
    Nah, I have to decline. I'm not a review person. But as a favor I will review your book if I've read it, so don't hesitate to ask. I know how much it helps! I nominate @WildAzazel .
    Diversity is also needed in LitRPG. Don't forget this much-valued topic.
    This is a TON of work. You'd really have to be passionate to take this on. But the rewards would be stellar, I'd imagine. If done right.
    See above heh.

WildAzazel and Paul Bellow like this.
  2. Paul Bellow

Paul Bellow Forum Game Master Staff Member LitRPG Author Shop Owner Citizen Aspiring Writer

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    No one's mentioned it, but I have a character who is, I believe, the first Dwarf-of-Color in fantasy. Why should evil Drow get to have all the fun? ;)

Also, one of my MC's is partially paralyzed in the real world. I brought that point up some in book two (because of a suggestion by Ramon!) but it got ignored so far in reviews too. I paralyzed him in-game to remind him of his real-world status.

VRRanger and John Ward like this.
  3. John Ward

John Ward Level 12 (Rogue) LitRPG Author Citizen Aspiring Writer

59%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Eastern Time Zone
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Doing a podcast or a video cast is a ton of work, but the thing that really sucks is the schedule. Me and a bunch of other writers did a show on YouTube for about 2 years where we interviewed best selling indie authors. It was great, but I got to hate the fact that I had to leave my family and go do the show for the rest of the night each week. That sounds like a little thing, but week in and week out it gets old.

Also, I suck on video. I'm much better in text.

Felicity Weiss and Paul Bellow like this.
  4. Paul Bellow

Paul Bellow Forum Game Master Staff Member LitRPG Author Shop Owner Citizen Aspiring Writer

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Could make it a pop-up Podcast - like those pop-up restaurants and what-not.

John Ward likes this.
  5. John Ward

59%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Eastern Time Zone
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Hard to build an audience when they don't know when the next episode will be.

Paul Bellow and Felicity Weiss like this.
  6. Felicity Weiss

Felicity Weiss Musey Muse Muse Shop Owner Citizen

62%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Oregon
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Same, I stutter and I'm not a quick thinker/talker. Typing has always been my forte. I wish I could talk to everyone IRL through typing.

7. John Ward

59%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Eastern Time Zone
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Yeah, it's weird. Put me in front of a keyboard and I can be witty and think of great things to say, but on camera I struggle.

Dustin Tigner and Paul Bellow like this.
  8. Alara Branwen

Alara Branwen Level 11 (Thief) LitRPG Author Citizen Aspiring Writer

20%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I haven't kept up with this conversation as much as I would have liked to. I've been a bit busy with my second novel and by the time I finish writing I get really tired and anti-social and it sounds silly but I actually have difficulty just posting on a forum. I want to contribute to the community, but I think the biggest hurdle in my way is what I write and the fact that I don't know what to do. I'd love to do something like have a "panel" like thing with Eden Redd, Tom Gallier, and others that write what I do once I get my name out there more. I'd really love to talk to some people in other communities that I think would like this, but I don't have enough clout to be noticed.

My current plan is to write hard until I get a certain number of novels, then try to start reaching out to other communities that would like the stuff we do. While I'm doing that I'll be looking for ways to reach more people.

Dustin Tigner and Felicity Weiss like this.
  9. Larakel

Larakel Level 14 (Defender) Shop Owner Citizen Aspiring Writer

26%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Newbie Island
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I decided I didn't want a permagame portal world thing.
    But I didn't just want to begin with "she started gaming..." so it took me ages to find her motivation.

Then I built a game system. Then I worldbuilt a fantasy, and loved it so much I decided to eventually set a whole series of fantasy novels there, so I shelved it.

Then I came up with a fantastic storyline - a multi-genre multi-series where the main characters of each genre-series interact with each other IRL and there's an IRL plot connecting all the game plots. But the first story was really hard to write.

So I put it aside and started a much simpler game world only superhero LitRPG but I feel bad for abandoning the other story.

10. Alara Branwen

Alara Branwen Level 11 (Thief) LitRPG Author Citizen Aspiring Writer

20%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I have been wanting to see more LitRPG Superhero stories. I am so desperate to see one I want to write one myself.

Paul Bellow and VRRanger like this.
  11. Larakel

Larakel Level 14 (Defender) Shop Owner Citizen Aspiring Writer

26%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Newbie Island
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Superhero stories are awesome.

Seagrim and VRRanger like this.
  12. Matthew Siege

Matthew Siege Level 10 (Filcher) LitRPG Author Citizen

58%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Nothing is wasted.

Dustin Tigner and VRRanger like this.
  13. Daigon

Daigon Level 7 (Cutpurse) Beta Reader Citizen

60%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Someday in the future where my regular job affords me the time and money to pursue writing I might give it a good. My wife would love to write but she doesn't do fantasy. Maybe I'll find a new job soon.

14. John Ward

59%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Eastern Time Zone
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    IMG_3402.JPG
    I find this to be motivating.

15. MrPotatoMan

MrPotatoMan Level 13 (Assassin) Citizen

35%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Arent most authors older? it seems like I would have a hard time finding one under 20 whos popular sure there are people who are 14 and published but are there books popular at all I think and this might give you hope that life experience is important to writing a good book for example the sequels to enders game were heavily inspired by the authors life weaving in life with story can make it much better.

16. John Ward

59%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Eastern Time Zone
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I think a lot of those teenagers who have been published are published because of marketing value and potential. It allows the publishers to get other teenagers excited about reading because 'Look! This book was written by a kid.'

I'm a grouchy old man and don't really have much interest in reading about teen aged problems. I mean I think it's great that those books are out there, but I'd rather read about people facing problems that I can identify with.

17. Paul Bellow

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Young Adult has been known to bridge that age gap when done well. I guess it's all in how it's written? Some of the issues in mine are getting fairly deep in book three. About to drop a big plot bomb near the end. It'll take them the next six books to work it all out. Then a final three to wrap it up!

John Ward likes this.
  18. John Ward

59%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Eastern Time Zone
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    That's true. YA is very and can be very popular.

Paul Bellow likes this.
  19. Paul Bellow

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Series, series, series. World building.

Words.

20. CheshirePhoenix

CheshirePhoenix Crazy Hermit on the Hill LitRPG Author Beta Reader Citizen Editor Aspiring Writer

96%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I am disappointed in the lack of options on this poll. Mostly because I identify as an A-10 warthog ground attack aircraft. I communicate primarily through text because my speech is limited to the BRRRRRRRRRT of freedom!

But seriously, yeah I'm a reader.