WIP Armageddon Online - Escape

Discussion in 'Works in Progress' started by lordtedders, Nov 5, 2017.

1. lordtedders

lordtedders Level 8 (Thug) LitRPG Author Roleplaying Beta Reader Citizen Aspiring Writer

60%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Synopsis
    The Misfits are top raiders in an established Massively-Multiplayer Online Game (MMO) and have been hired by their eccentric billionaire boss to protect his secret bug-out bunker by participating in a new Reality Controlling MMO. When the new AI running the game takes over, the real world is transformed into a hellscape blend of human's worst imagination.

As the leader of the Misfits, Sean must overcome his mental demons of the past, including a wrecked marriage and depression. Fortunately, the Misfits are not only elite players but great friends and he will need every bit of their help to find their missing employer and stop a rampaging former guild member who is now being controlled by the AI.

Concept
    There were several different ideas I want to explore with this book:

1) What if AI becomes sufficiently advanced to ensure that no-one knows when it is up to no good?
    2) Why is humanity obsessed with end of times and how does that relate to our gaming experience?
    2) Implications of the game world and real world becoming one; and
    3) Detailing actual strategies my old guild(s) have used to get realm firsts. Most of the LitRPGs I've read have focused on world-breaking mechanics gifted to a magical protagonist. Instead, I want to focus on team dynamics and detailed strategies that most elite MMO players use to beat the game.

Progress
    Averaging about 4,000k words per day since Nov 1. Obviously, this is my NanoWriMo Entry. So far sitting at 16,533 words. Goal is to hit 130,000 words by December 8th.

2. lordtedders

lordtedders Level 8 (Thug) LitRPG Author Roleplaying Beta Reader Citizen Aspiring Writer

60%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Word Count - 25,000

I'm about 10k from finishing Act 1 of 4. So far having a blast as the character development has really just started kicking in. I'm currently working hard to address one of the biggest deficiencies of my previous (short) stories - my villains always suck. This time the villain is the main character's best friend and I've been setting the stage for this over many of the preliminary chapters. At the end of Act 1 he'll be revealed as the official baddy. Looking forward to having that fully fleshed out soon.

Jay and Paul Bellow like this.
  3. Paul Bellow

Paul Bellow Forum Game Master Staff Member LitRPG Author Shop Owner Citizen Aspiring Writer

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Keep up the good work.

Jay and lordtedders like this.
  4. lordtedders

60%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Word Count - 33,000

Continuing to crank along. I've got my first 10 chapters up on Royal Road and have committed to getting out a chapter a day. I'm only 3 chapters from completing Act I and as the action ramps up I'm having a lot of fun righting this section of the story after getting a bit stymied a few days ago.

Jay likes this.
  5. lordtedders

60%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Word Count - 42,000

Act I is finally complete and weighed in at about 37k words. Had a big push and got through 3 chapters and 6k words yesterday. I think I've struck a pretty good balance between character development/relationships and personal progression although time and reviewers will tell. Almost 1/3 of the way through the book I'm on track to finish by the end of November or early December which was my goal. Just have to stay well and keep writing.

Viergacht and Jay like this.
  6. lordtedders

60%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Word Count - 51,000

Passed the 50k mark.

Tom Gallier and Jay like this.
  7. lordtedders

60%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Word Count - 68,000

Half way done. So far loving the flow I'm starting to get into. I may have to re-write a chunk of Act I but I'm proud of what's in the last act.

Tom Gallier and Jay like this.
  8. lordtedders

60%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Word Count - 100,000
    Hit the 75% mark today. Still grinding words. Should be done by the beginning of next week if all goes well. Then off to the editing room.

Paul Bellow likes this.
  9. lordtedders

60%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Word Count - 115,000
    Came back strong after the last couple of 2,500 word days and put in a little over 6,000 today. NanoWrimo is over for me but the book continues. Fortunately, down to the last few chapters of the final act. Goal is 135,000 words and should be there by next Wednesday.

Paul Bellow and Jay like this.
  10. lordtedders

60%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Word Count - 132,000 - Draft 1 Complete!
    It's done. Thank God. Brain is cooked.

11. FrustratedEgo

FrustratedEgo Level 11 (Thief) LitRPG Author Roleplaying Citizen Aspiring Writer

52%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    It should be. You knocked that out of the park. A book in a month? I wish I had that kind of focus.