Ascend Online - Audio

Discussion in 'All Things LitRPG' started by Dawn Chapman, Jul 18, 2017.

1. Dawn Chapman

Dawn Chapman Level 11 (Thief) LitRPG Author Citizen

18%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Not sure if anyone here is UK but if you've never had a 'shared' book before, this one is on me - #litrpg heaven! http://a.co/1vC1oFa

Felicity Weiss likes this.
  2. Asakust

Asakust Level 9 (Burgler) Citizen Aspiring Writer

40%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Does one have to be from UK?

3. Felicity Weiss

Felicity Weiss Musey Muse Muse Shop Owner Citizen

62%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Oregon
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I think my brain just made a connection. Is Paul J Chapman @UKLitRPG on Twitter your relative?

Dawn Chapman and Paul Bellow like this.
  4. Dawn Chapman

18%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Yes, he's my other half. I collared the account name on twitter for us over here :)

Paul Bellow and Felicity Weiss like this.
  5. WildAzazel

WildAzazel Death's TP Supplier LitRPG Author Roleplaying Shop Owner Citizen Aspiring Writer

7%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Birmingham, AL
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Just finished listening to Ascend Online. I didn't like it. I don't think there was anything remotely interesting about the MC. I didn't hear any effort put in to making the reader care about the character before he started the game. The stats seemed like a pointless info dump and was repeated several times with barely a change. The voice didn't really give any personality to the character besides the annoying shriek that is more likely to make me not listen to anything the narrator does in the future. The writing should have told the reader how the shriek sounded rather than literally shrieking into the microphone and hurting the listener's ears. I found some actions lacking foundation besides that the player was used to dealing with NPCs. There were maybe 2 original concepts in the book and the adventure was rather lackluster. I wouldn't recommend the book for the story, but the author seems to be a good writer so I wouldn't count Luke out as not being able to put something out in the future worth reading. I don't want to be a complete downer on him. It definitely wasn't the worst I've experienced, but I just didn't feel that it was a story worthy of a book. Room for improvement. Maybe.... 2.99 stars? Almost a 3rd?

6. Felicity Weiss

Felicity Weiss Musey Muse Muse Shop Owner Citizen

62%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Oregon
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I have Way of the Shaman + Awaken Online set on audio but have yet to listen to any fiction books. I've maybe listened to 2 or 3 nonfiction on audio. Wondering if audiobooks have the potential to seduce me away from actual reading? [monkaS]

7. Dawn Chapman

18%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Funny that, as I've almost finished it, and I'm enjoying it a lot. The start was a little slow, but it really picked up nicely in my head. One I did struggle with a lot was Lion's quest, if the narrator says 'the beautful woman once more in the next book I'll wack him!