POLL Ascendant Flux [Spoilers Book 8]

Discussion in 'Disagreements' started by ShoughtLoud, Feb 9, 2020.

?

Chaotic Flux quest completion

1. Yes, he can get more than one upgrade if he gets enough tier 2 energy

2. No, he only gets to have one upgrade

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. ShoughtLoud

ShoughtLoud Level 18 (Magician) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

81%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Chaotic Flux. It's a quest and it's own reward.

You have been offered a Quest: Chaotic Flux

As a Legendary evolution, your body, mind and soul will remain in flux for the next 25 days. If you nourish any of these three facets of your existence within that time, you may be awarded a unique bonus that could greatly augment your power.

Absorb 100 points of relevant energy to fulfill this quest. Success Conditions: Absorb 100 Points of energy, Tier 2 or greater

Rewards: In addition to the benefits from augmenting your body, mind or soul, you will be offered another boon that is customized to you. This will greatly benefit you!

Penalty for failure of Quest: None This Quest cannot be refused!
    Quest Update: Chaotic Flux
    Tier 2 Points absorbed: 2/100.
    2% chance of skeletal system being iron-strengthened when flux period is over.
    98% chance of Quest Failure
    25 days until flux period ends.
    Absorbing a total of 100 Tier 2 Body Points will trigger an automatic change to your body.

Point of Contention
    Can it be completed more than once during the 25 day period?

Points for more than one upgrade
    -As a Legendary evolution, your body, mind and soul will remain in flux for the next 25 days. (Hard time scale, say for 25 not up to 25)

Points against
    -Possibly over powered

Indeterminate points/ kind of the same topic
    -Absorbing a total of 100 Tier 2 Body Points will trigger an automatic change to your body. (Could go either way, grammatically allows for multiple completion or early completion)

-do mind body and soul point have separate counters or get applied to the same lottery?

2. ShoughtLoud

81%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    My thoughts:
    Killing tier 2 monsters or finding tier 2 items are generally not easy tasks, nor are they abundant in most cases or places we have seen. Even with his awakened pop the monsters still seem to be tier 1. This means most who would come across this legendary quest would have to travel and search out enormous danger for this amazing opportunity to further empower their ascendance.

I also think it's totally in line with Richter having enough luck for his shi**y situation to actually turn around and benefit him.

3. ShoughtLoud

81%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Also, his ascension seems... Lack luster. His new Bloodline isn't really part of Chaos Lord, and yeah he gets more points per level but... Over all... Meh. I see this quest as a way to compensate for his new form not having the immediate changes such as telepathy, scales, claws, or mist form such as the other ascensions had. Something that immediately gave them an edge over other beings from the pre-existing form. With luck being so intrinsic to chaos this quest allows for disappointing suckage due to failure to obtain tier 2 energy within the time limit, and conversely overwhelming power, all based on the gamble.
    Like if Richter was back in law, or the forest of nadria, he'd be having a much tougher time finding these upgrades based on what we have seen so far. But since he's down in on of the most survival of the fittest areas we've seen or heard of, he's lucking out.

4. Andrew Lynas

Andrew Lynas Level 17 (Theurgist) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

87%
    xp:
    Zone:
    UK
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I think that he will only have One Body Upgrade, but I hope that it will involve all the things that'd he Absorbed (by % base) not just one of them, but that there might be a slim chance that he might also have a Mind and Soul Upgrade Counter as well and so can also get Upgrades in them as well, although they are probably all included in the one Counter.

But I am really curious about what the additional Special Reward is for Completing the Flux Quest is? A new Chaos Ability? An additional Upgrade or Trait? A new Tier 2 Skill? Be interesting to find out.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2022
    ShoughtLoud likes this.
  5. ShoughtLoud

81%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Right? And it's supposed to be especially tailored to him, should be something really spectacular

6. Andrew Lynas

Andrew Lynas Level 17 (Theurgist) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

87%
    xp:
    Zone:
    UK
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    And likely of the Legendary rank. Considering that he's a Chaos Lord which is a Legendary Tier 2 entity and the Quest is to do with that and making it stable and strong.

ShoughtLoud likes this.
  7. ShoughtLoud

81%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Can't wait to find out in book 11/12 :(

8. Dragon

Dragon Level 19 (Enchanter) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Lol, might be 14/ 15 if he writes a book covering the events in the village.

9. ShoughtLoud

81%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Noooooo, do not make Richter be underground /away from the village for an entire sorry arc.. Crap. That's what this is gonna be isn't it? Well we can hope his release schedule will actually match his words

10. Dragon

Dragon Level 19 (Enchanter) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I think so yes, he is giving all the townbuilding hating fans what they want, a couple books without townbuilding elements. Not sure why anyone who doesn't like kingdom builders would bother with a series where 80-90% of quests and events are related to kingdom building, but I suppose there are some.

It also allows other characters to shine. Since we haven't really seen anything from Sion's view since book 2 its probably time to give him some cameos all of his own.

Johan likes this.
  11. HamsterDesTodes

HamsterDesTodes Level 7 (Cutpurse) Exiles Citizen

18%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    IMHO the quest updates are worded in such way that he should only get a single one. "X% chance to get [upgrade]" instead of "Get X% of [upgrade]".
    Sure, strictly going by the wording there may be a dice roll for every single upgrade he found so he may end up with several or none at all, but that would be strange IMHO.
    He definitely won't get all by default.

Of course, exact wording and AK is always tricky, so who knows? Next book AK may forget about the quest completely or it may have changed to whatever.

12. ShoughtLoud

81%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I think we're all agreed there, in that he won't be getting all of the things he absorbs.

This was more along the lines of, as he gains energy his percent chance of failure foes down. Once it reaches zero, I think the second quote I posted (quest update) means that it will 'roll the dice' on the options he has already absorbed (their various percentages indicating how likely it is to win out) picking only one of those to upgrade him, and then the quest 'resets' back to 100% chance of failure and he can try again for another upgrade, until his 25 day timer runs out.

Johan likes this.