Authors, Why Do You Write LitRPG?

Discussion in 'All Things LitRPG' started by Paul Bellow, May 17, 2018.

1. Thomas Davidsmeier

Thomas Davidsmeier Level 12 (Rogue) LitRPG Author Citizen

0%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    It is funny, because I found myself looking at my other series that is straight fantasy with a LitRPG lens before I even knew it was a thing.

"Hmm, are these kids advancing too quickly? Are their powers overbalanced? How high of a level is that guy? What age category is that dragon he just fought?"

Prax Venter and Paul Bellow like this.
  2. Jun

Jun Level 13 (Assassin) LitRPG Author Citizen

95%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    As an author who writes in multiple genres, I can say that the reason I write is because I like creating characters and telling stories. I got started by creating back stories and mini fictions for my table top role playing characters.

For GameLit/LitRPG specific writing, I do it because it's fun. A lot of writing Dragonsbane (my novel) felt like I was actually playing a game. Sometimes I woke up thinking "I've got to get writing so we can take down X boss" (yes, I'd think in terms of "we" since there's a group of five characters that do everything together in the novel).

Paul Bellow likes this.
  3. Thomas Davidsmeier

0%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Nice cover, Jun.

Paul Bellow likes this.
  4. Jun

Jun Level 13 (Assassin) LitRPG Author Citizen

95%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Thank you. :) I was really pleased with the way it came out.

Paul Bellow likes this.
  5. Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban Level 18 (Magician) LitRPG Author Citizen Aspiring Writer

18%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    M̶o̶n̶e̶y̶ I've had a long-standing interest in writing video game-inspired and video game mechanic-heavy stories going back ten years now. I just never thought there would actually be a market for such a thing. I still remember this failed superstory I planned out and never wrote back in 2009 where several arcs were meant to be "RPGs". Literally with all the mechanics you'd expect from a generic RPG video game, such as leveling up and item using/crafting and experience points to go along with the narrative. Interestingly, one of those arcs became Astral Falls and another became a different story concept I have so it's not like any of it went to waste.

Paul Bellow likes this.
  6. Paul Bellow

Paul Bellow Forum Game Master Staff Member LitRPG Author Shop Owner Citizen Aspiring Writer

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Wait... you ARE the father of LitRPG... in an alternate timeline? ;)

[​IMG]

Yuli Ban likes this.
  7. Thomas Davidsmeier

0%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I'm not gonna lie. I'm pretty dumbstruck that this is a genre too. But again, I think it makes all the sense in the world when I think back to my experiences gaming and then daydreaming about gaming.

Novels are just like solidified daydreams, right?

Paul Bellow likes this.
  8. Paul Bellow

Paul Bellow Forum Game Master Staff Member LitRPG Author Shop Owner Citizen Aspiring Writer

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I mean you can go back to the 1970s (at least) to see books about being trapped in a game world. I consider those LitRPG too. I'm not as strict as some others. ;)

9. Thomas Davidsmeier

0%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    So, there's TRON too.

10. Trevor Alexander Smith

Trevor Alexander Smith Level 7 (Cutpurse) Beta Reader Citizen Aspiring Writer

26%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I'd be game. I think a role playing game with a bunch of authors as players/gm is BOUND to be a hoot, regardless of system or world. Roll20 has a pretty decent system for telegames, and a very affordable license for the gm tools that REALLY make it pretty easy to run a game.

11. Trevor Alexander Smith

Trevor Alexander Smith Level 7 (Cutpurse) Beta Reader Citizen Aspiring Writer

26%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Am I the only one who read Kilobyte by Piers Anthony when I was a kid? That one was published in '93, and has all the hallmarks of what we define as LitRPG.

Aleron Kong be damned.

Paul Bellow likes this.