POLL Based off of an actual game

Discussion in 'Not The Land' started by Johan, May 15, 2020.

?

I want a series based on this video game

1. Home World

2. Klash of Kings

3. Kohan: Kings of war

4. Spellforce

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Johan

Johan Level 18 (Magician) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

83%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I have been seeing quite a few books based off of actual computer games. What litrpg books would you like to see based off an actual game. Or list it if it already done. I am trying to figure out how I would go about writing a Home World based game.

2. HunterLegacyUniverse

HunterLegacyUniverse Level 10 (Filcher) LitRPG Author Citizen

58%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    One way of doing Homeworld (assuming you're meaning the space game), would be to first person as one of the first ship captains, and play the game to conclusion being moved from ship to ship as the research and building is done, and managing to survive the whole thing, ending up as captain of the biggest baddest ship at the end.

It essentially is a game walkthrough, but from an NPC perspective. Since there are 3 games, this could be a trilogy, although the POV would be a different captain each time.

Homeworld did rank individual ships, so rank of the captain (and made up decorations), and rank of the ship are litRPG stats.

I've thought of doing this with several of the older X3 games.

If 'Home World' is something different, ignore.

But any game can potentially be done this way. The player becomes the 'giver of orders', and the NPC carries them out, even though its really the player in a real game. But we can imagine what the NPC's inside the ships, units, or whatever, are going through.

The other thing you can do is use the universe, and have an NPC 'lost' to the player, but setting out independently.

Johan likes this.
  3. Dragon

Dragon Level 19 (Enchanter) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Going to assume this can be a variation of those worlds that we want to see, with all sorts of changes allowed.

Kohan: Kings of war. Playstyle anyway.

Probably going to do my own thing with regards to explaining infrastructure.

Meaning towns are build on townslots - which are now natural powerhubs used to create an area many times larger on the inside than on the outside, usually with an outer wall that isn't within the aoe effect that creates the inner space (meaning instead of 5 miles of wall you might need half a mile, and can instead focus your effort on making the walls thicker and setting up defences) - as are larger monster hives, but outposts can be built whereever you need them. The world is divided into zones, most of them are monster zones without a townslot. All of them can be claimed by anyone strong enough.

Military works well, I really liked being able to craft squads of up to 20 without having to microcontrol individuals. Probably would add some personal levels and skills. Squad levels and bonuses will gennerally be more important though, its going to be insanely hard to gain enough power to deal with even a single basic 4-person squad on your own.

Other than that, much larger world surrounding the handfull of regions controlled by the civilized races, not to mention other worlds.

4. Dragon

Dragon Level 19 (Enchanter) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Spellforce would be another one I wouldn't mind seeing get a little love, though it deserves a better settíng. I might steal the runearmies idea and combine it with leylines. Maybe still some kind of fragmented world, except in this case much of the world is in tiny, tiny little slivers and part of your powerset is the ability to pull them back together (sometimes you'll need to go on a quest first to capture a region).

Call it "Binder's game: the shattered realms" or some other knockoff title.

5. Johan

83%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    @HunterLegacyUniverse
    Another aspect for Homeworld (space game), is from the perspective of a dungeon/ship core. The journey through the perspective of the Karan S'jet, the mothership's brain.

6. HunterLegacyUniverse

58%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Yes, but difficult to do given the dialogue used in the game would need explicit permission to be used. And you couldn't not use it easily.

Fine line here between writing gamelit, and being fan fiction which actively defies copyright.

And given the age of the games now, permission might be difficult to get. Where for example the X3 games, permission is easy to seek if you're active on the forums. You just have to know who to direct it to. Since X4 is a current game, the contact path is still there. But Homeworld is an old dead game now.

7. Johan

83%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Homeworld 3 is coming out 2022. So not quite dead.

8. HunterLegacyUniverse

58%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I didn't know that. I'm not sure why though. The 2nd one was the best for me (HW1.5). HW2 I never finished. It simply got too hard in one mission and I was never able to get past it. And after HW1.5, 2 was a bit of a let down.

These days I prefer sandbox games, rather than mission oriented ones where every mission requires new complicated tactics. I gave up on Star Wars Xwing games back in the day for that reason. I could never figure out the tactics for missions and would inevitably get stuck on one I couldn't resolve.

So not sure if I'd bother getting HW3. Mind you, if they actually make it so it can be easily modded, I might. While you could mod the old ones, it was too difficult to even unpack the files, so I never did. X4 for example is almost unplayable without modding, and while some of the modding is a bit counter-intuitive, once you get some help, you can fix most of the stupidities in it.

Johan likes this.