Best D&D Books?

Discussion in 'Sci-Fi & Fantasy Books' started by Paul Bellow, May 21, 2017.

1. CheshirePhoenix

CheshirePhoenix Crazy Hermit on the Hill LitRPG Author Beta Reader Citizen Editor Aspiring Writer

96%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Peter Jackson? Not Netflix or Amazon originals, that's for sure.

I imagine he bought himself an island, populated it with hookers, and is occupied about 20 hours of every day by snorting cocaine off the hookers' buttcracks.

I'd probably go with James Cameron instead of Peter Jackson. And the series would definitely require Vin Diesel and Peter Dinklage to play parts. I'd also put Krysten Ritter and Idris Elba in the mix, too. From the description I remember in the books, Krysten Ritter would make an amazing what's-her-name, Peter Dinklage would be the kender, Idris Elba would be Raistlin's brother, Vin Diesel would be MC-kun, and I think I'd like to see Christian Bale as Raistlin, except he's already said he's never starving himself to skeleton levels for a role again. So for Raistlin, how about Steve Buscemi or DJ Quinn?

I can't really remember the rest of the cast, it's been awhile.

2. Paul Bellow

Paul Bellow Forum Game Master Staff Member LitRPG Author Shop Owner Citizen Aspiring Writer

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Donnie Darko actor might make a good Raistlin?

3. CheshirePhoenix

CheshirePhoenix Crazy Hermit on the Hill LitRPG Author Beta Reader Citizen Editor Aspiring Writer

96%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Gotta be someone who can look sickly and weak but still maintain power and presence. That's why my initial thought was Christian Bale.

Paul Bellow likes this.
  4. Paul Bellow

Paul Bellow Forum Game Master Staff Member LitRPG Author Shop Owner Citizen Aspiring Writer

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Macully Caulken (SP?)

Heh.

Anything would be better than that half-assed cartoon.

Viergacht and CheshirePhoenix like this.
  5. CheshirePhoenix

96%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Didn't he do a sex tape that got him mocked relentlessly? Or am I thinking of some other child actor dude.

6. Paul Bellow

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    lol not sure. probably?

voices of the dragons would be fun to pick too.

CheshirePhoenix likes this.
  7. James T. Witherspoon

James T. Witherspoon Level 8 (Thug) LitRPG Author Citizen

76%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I actually liked the early Magic: The Gathering novels quite a bit. Not D&D, but similar!

8. CheshirePhoenix

96%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Go with professional voice actors instead of big name actors. Save on production cost, so you can spend on making the production better.

Plus, voice actors are usually a good deal better at voice acting than big stars.

Paul Bellow likes this.
  9. Avatar

Avatar Level 7 (Cutpurse) Roleplaying Citizen Aspiring Writer

36%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Shame we can't just make our own.

10. Avatar

36%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Eh isn't really picture Bale as Raist.

11. CheshirePhoenix

96%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Make our own LOTR guy?

12. Avatar

36%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Mark Hamill always comes to mind as a voice actor.not sire who he could play but he always has the villians down

13. Avatar

36%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    What? You don't make people regularly? Just need the parts and some necromancy

I just meant shows though

Last edited: Sep 1, 2017
    Paul Bellow and CheshirePhoenix like this.
  14. Viergacht

Viergacht Thunderdragon LitRPG Author Roleplaying Beta Reader Citizen Aspiring Writer

94%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    They definitely need to cast Tom Waits as one of the dragons.

Paul Bellow likes this.
  15. Paul Bellow

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    That would be a fun contest - name voice actors for major players in XXXX / Dragonlance...

Hmmm....

16. Readsalot

Readsalot Level 13 (Assassin) Citizen

68%
    xp:
    Zone:
    South Africa
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Yebo, there's a reason I prefer watching anime subbed with the original voice actors. They do it for a living and they're great at their jobs.

17. CheshirePhoenix

96%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    We have a ton of professional voice actors in the states, too. Funimation is a Texas-based company and all of their VAs are American.

Not-so-coincidentally, Funimation dubs are usually fairly solid, too. The hard part of localizing anime is matching the mouth flaps of the characters as they’re synced to Japanese rather than English. That disconnect actually bothers me more than the skill of the individual VA.

18. Readsalot

Readsalot Level 13 (Assassin) Citizen

68%
    xp:
    Zone:
    South Africa
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Aye, America has some really good voice actors: Kevin Conroy, Fred Tatasciore, Mark Hamill... And who will ever forget Robin Williams? In fact, Strange Magic with Alan Cumming and Evan Rachel Wood is one of my favourite animated films. But I've never seen a dub that I prefer to the original anime, personally.

Viergacht likes this.
  19. CheshirePhoenix

96%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Trigun and Cowboy Bebop for me.

There are more VAs to like, too. Like Colleen Clinkenbeard. Can’t think of any other names because I’m terrible with names.

20. Viergacht

Viergacht Thunderdragon LitRPG Author Roleplaying Beta Reader Citizen Aspiring Writer

94%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I don't think most anime bother with syncing mouthflaps even in the original. They're not terribly realistic mouth movements anyways.

Honestly I can't judge original vs dub since I don't speak Japanese. I prefer dubs because I find having to glance up and down constantly annoying, especially if I have to put on my reading glasses to make it out. It's not so bad nowadays but back in the VHS era a lot of subtitles were fuzzy and otherwise barely legible. Of course, you also didn't have much choice, you got what the local video store or comic book shop stocked and YOU WERE HAPPY WITH IT. Not the mention having to walk ten miles in the snow, uphill both ways to get there . . .

Anyways, as to voices. If Brian Blessed isn't cast as Flint I would be very disappointed. Or a dragon, I could see either. Crispin Glover would make a terrific Raistlin. Max Greenfeld as Tas.