Best Work of Tabletop Fiction?

Discussion in 'Tabletop Fiction' started by Jon Chambers, Sep 21, 2017.

1. Jon Chambers

Jon Chambers Level 6 (Footpad) LitRPG Author Citizen

18%
    xp:
    Gold:
    Zorkmid:
    I'm watching it now. Since I've drawn the line at Jumunji, it's hard to tell which side of that line to put this. I can definitely see arguments for and against.

My take is that it is indeed an alternate world that inspired the game (the clue is the library which holds books yet to be written contains ancient famous works we know to be written long ago, so it's set in our past), therefore the only tabletop fiction scene is the one pictured above, and the teleportation scene, which both total less than four minutes.

So even though those moments were very good, they do not imply that the rest of the film takes place within the game (even though our hero incorrectly guesses that it might be), nor do those moments take up much time from the film.

It's splitting hairs, and this is just on the line, but as far as my website is concerned, this is not a work of tabletop fiction. However I fully support and encourage people to curate their own lists of tabletop fiction and include this work on them. Though if you include this, you should definitely include Jumunji, and if you want to slide the slippery slope further, you may wish to include E.T. as the characters are seen to play Dungeons and Dragons in that film.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2017
  2. Viergacht

Viergacht Thunderdragon Roleplaying LitRPG Author Citizen Beta Reader Aspiring Writer

18%
    xp:
    Zone:
    South Africa
    Gold:
    Zorkmid:
    I hope you enjoyed the flick, at least. When I was a little booger, the ogre scared the bejeesus out of me.

3. Jon Chambers

18%
    xp:
    Gold:
    Zorkmid:
    I scanned it as a classifier rather than viewed it for pleasure, but it was interesting from what I saw. Though a little cringe worthy at moments. Like, really, gold is the softest non-flammable material to sleep on? They float like zeppelins? You have a single bookshelf of all unwritten works, yet you included Wizard of Oz? (The film Wizard of Oz was very popular, but the book came after and I don't think it was as successful.) Maybe I'm just too old to fit in their target audience, but I did feel a bit talked down to at times.

4. Viergacht

Viergacht Thunderdragon Roleplaying LitRPG Author Citizen Beta Reader Aspiring Writer

18%
    xp:
    Zone:
    South Africa
    Gold:
    Zorkmid:
    Well, it was aimed at kids. The dragon flight is actually a very edited down version of a scientific explanation in the real Peter Dickinson's book - the movie is a mash-up between it and Gordon R. Dickson's "Dragon Knight" books, and it makes more sense when it's explained.

5. Jon Chambers

18%
    xp:
    Gold:
    Zorkmid:
    It's hard to put my finger on exactly what grated me, but I remember a line to the effect of "You'll figure that out on your own" rather than explaining a feature about a dragon. I understand the author's motivation there, as the author probably put a lot of effort into showing and not telling, but then was afraid the audience would miss it. However, if the audience isn't paying attention, let them miss it. It's not worth having someone say a line with absolutely no believable character motivation whatsoever just to highlight a mystery to be solved.

I don't think the aimed at kids is a good excuse. My second favourite movie of all time is Wreck It Ralph, meanwhile everything Pixar has ever made was an absolute masterpiece (except for Brave), and they were aimed at kids.

I think it's more, the writing was good, but I have been spoiled by brilliance, and it wasn't brilliant. I'd like to think that my writing is better than the script of The Flight of Dragons, but maybe that's just because all the problems I can find with my own work, I've edited out. It's far easier to find fault with someone else's finished work than it is with your own.

6. Jon Chambers

18%
    xp:
    Gold:
    Zorkmid:
    Oh, there was also the fact that the wizard seemed to have a better understanding of how to control a dragon body than the dragons themselves. That would be the equivalent of an alligator saying to me "Don't bite your lip! Damn it, I told you not to bite your lip, then you went and did it anyway!" Again, I see the author's motivation. To explain how dragons do things correctly, have one do something incorrectly and have a character correct them, but it fell flat for me, as I had a hard time believing a dragon could really be that stupid.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2017
  7. MrPotatoMan

MrPotatoMan Level 8 (Thug) Citizen

72%
    xp:
    Gold:
    Zorkmid:
    my take was always that the game and the world are linked like the game is a miniturization of the world and anything done in it is done in the world

8. Jon Chambers

18%
    xp:
    Gold:
    Zorkmid:
    Evidence seemed to me to point to their world being our past, but time travel is a form of magic in the world. It's the only explanation that doesn't leave any loose ends. Assuming you don't call them sitting on dice on his on board a loose end. He's magic. He can do that.

9. Paul Bellow

Paul Bellow Forum Game Master Staff Member Shop Owner LitRPG Author Citizen

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    Gold:
    Zorkmid:
  10. Jon Chambers

18%
    xp: