Beta reader help

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by S'ahelas, Oct 12, 2020.

1. S'ahelas

S'ahelas Level 9 (Burgler) Exiles Citizen

58%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Hello. I’ve landed in the land and have been moving about on this forum for six months. My name is Zach. I’m a recent college grad.

My friend recently wrote a book and I was the first one to read it- I was the first beta reader. I’m wondering what type of feedback is useful for my friend. Are there suggestions which I shouldn’t make because they require changing too much, say, one of the main viewpoints voice doesn’t match the character and should be changed? Are there things that are too small; could I go through paragraph by paragraph with a pen? I know a few of you are authors and beta readers and I would like some advice on what you find helpful. Thank you.

2. TWErvin2

TWErvin2 Level 11 (Thief) LitRPG Author Citizen

88%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Every beta reader brings something to the table.

If you see something of concern, express it. Explain your reasoning, for both big and small issues. It is up to your friend to decide if your concern is legitimate and/or something that should be addressed. Each reader is different (just as each beta reader is different). What your friend should watch for is a pattern, where readers independently express the same concern(s). If you choose to go at it paragraph by paragraph, that is up to you.

Finally, on your end, don't be miffed if your friend does not agree or alter the manuscript based upon all, some or even any of your input. (I would say that if your friend doesn't agree with any of your concerns, you're probably not the target beta reader he should have in the future).

That's my two cents.

S'ahelas likes this.