Blueprints, Templates, Recipes, Schematics, etc.

Discussion in 'Debates & Discussions' started by Johan, Apr 27, 2020.

1. Johan

Johan Level 18 (Magician) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

83%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    House of Scholarship:
    Blueprints, Templates, Recipes, Schematics, etc.
    1. Research Points can now be used to reverse engineer these magical documents if an example is available
    2. Known magical documents can be advanced using Research Points if the prerequisite tech is known
    What do you think #2 means? Does MV have a magical document with prerequisite tech known? or is it just trying to explain #1 more and it is not actually another point.

2. Johan

83%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    it seems that #1 is saying that if physical example is available, like the goblinhold, then a Blueprint can be created using Research Points, but not the tech.

for #2 Richter has the blueprint for the mana storage device. But he doesn't know the prerequisite technology.

what document does he have that he also has the prerequisite technology...but would why would one do that instead of just researching the branching technology off the prerequisite technology.

As far as buildings go, he could only really "advance" his blueprints for Mason's Shop and Logging Camp, once the Construction I tech is completed. The blue prints can be advanced for level 2 for both blueprints with research points that would apparently not be gained via usual research. ...not all that great...

Last edited: Apr 27, 2020
    Andrew Lynas likes this.
  3. Dragon

Dragon Level 19 (Enchanter) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Well for 2) it might be cheaper. Its also possible that beyond the schematics that can be researched you can also design/ steal/ find your own stuff . Once new technology becomes available, you can advance your old schematic as long as the prerequisite tech (in this case the new tech) is available. It prevents it from becoming obsolete.

4. ShoughtLoud

ShoughtLoud Level 18 (Magician) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

81%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Maybe it means you can advance any blueprint etc by one level. So once unlocked, even if the level 2 blue print will isn't available in research, you could spend time to get a level 2 blueprint

5. Johan

83%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    hrrm yes. I like both ideas.

Do you agree that the tech itself can not be researched (by this aspect of the House of Scholarship) from a blueprint or an example.

ShoughtLoud likes this.
  6. Waterhobit

Waterhobit Level 12 (Rogue) Citizen

80%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Number 2 sounds like it could mean one of two different things.
    1. RP's can be used to advance a magical document at a reduced price rather than actually paying for the new tech.
    -or-
    2. Once level 2 of a building has been unlocked through research, RP's still need to be spent to advance a level 1 blueprint to a level 2 blueprint before the building can be built.

If the first interpretation is accurate then perhaps advancing a blueprint is significantly cheaper than researching the tech. If Richter were to create a blueprint for a level 3 portal, he might be able to afford to advance the blueprint even though he could not afford to advance the tech. This could could allow him to create Journeyman Portals, Local Portals, and Micro Portals. It might also allow him to add a pedestal to his existing portal.

If the second interpretation is accurate. Then, well that just seems annoying.

Edit: I do want to see Richter and Company start reverse engineering items/weapons into magical documents. This could be an excellent way to add new schematics and templates especially weapon and armor schematics for Krom.

Would the example used be destroyed in the creation of a magical document?

7. Dragon

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    It would be like figuring out how to build a modern refrigerator without understanding modern materials and electricity. On the other hand Richter can build portals without understanding all the science behind that.

I think not however, nothing indicates to me that this will allow you to gain access to higher tiered tech without researching the basics first.

8. Dragon

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    The second one seems fitting.

9. Waterhobit

80%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Yea but the 2nd one sucks.

The first one seems to offer too great of an advantage at first pass, but would be shortsighted in most circumstances. It only becomes truly advantageous in the event that one acquired a sufficiently advanced tech without a sufficient number of RP's to be able to reasonably afford to advance the next tech level. This would effectively allow a civilization to operate at their current tech level +1. This mirrors the fact that the max building level is equal to the town hall level +1.

Also we know that low level techs seem to immediately grant a blueprint. This doesn't mean that the 2nd tech in that tree might not require the first blueprint to be advance through addition point spendage. But it does establish a precedent.

Andrew Lynas likes this.
  10. Johan

83%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Alright here is the plan:

Make a magic document based the pedestal example at the Dark Magic novice portal. (I think this is what #1 of the first post means). Then build it.

If need pedestal level needs to be increased for a higher rank portal, then use #2 if portal is the prerequisite tech.

Would that work.

11. Johan

83%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    The other option is that #1 means that if the blueprint and example are available, then the tech can be unlocked without the prerequisites.

12. Waterhobit

80%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I didn't think about it, but a pedestal blueprint could be created using the first power.
    However, the blueprint for a level 1 Pedestal could not be upgraded to a level 2 Pedestal (if that is such a thing) under my 1st interpretation of the 2nd power(confusing, I know) because the prerequisite tech "Pedestal Activation I" is not met.

A blueprint for a Journeyman Portal could be obtained by using the first power to create a blueprint of his existing Apprentice portal and then using the 2nd power (1st interpretation) to advance the blueprint. The blueprint could not then be advanced to rank V because Portals IV had not been researched.

13. Johan

83%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Well at least he should be able to get a pedestal then. I would rather the blueprint for the portal not be written down. That is the path for technology theft.

14. Waterhobit

80%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    If it allowed him to build local portals or micro portals though, it might be worth it.

15. Johan

83%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    “Grrmm. I do not know the plans, or have the blueprint, to build a level one house of healing. There would not be any extra bonus. Almost any type of building can be built as a shed without blueprints, though, and the village will still get the minimum building bonus. So wood will be good enough, and it will go up faster.

I am not sure the difference between blueprints and plans in The Land, but it I could guess plans are made from blueprints. It matters not. What does matter is that Richtær needs to have every engineering get with that Architectural Scribe and create blueprints for all the buildings they know. Maybe Richtær should be there too, if any enchanting or limitless racial red tape needs to be cut. You never know when one of these people could die and you lose the knowledge.

Maybe the sprite "Nitro Hawk" knows some good ones.

16. PokemonThug

PokemonThug Level 17 (Theurgist) Roleplaying Exiles Beta Reader Citizen Aspiring Writer

52%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    make blueprints of lvl 4 hand-shooter given away as a gift to kindr.
    I mean he just gave it away .. not give them say a 100 lvl 4 slingshots made in the fore and lvl up the smith and his enchanting skill or sell them..

17. Johan

83%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    It would probably be fairly useful if Richter knew the schematic in the underdark. Might even be able to imbue the slugs. ...though i suppose he wouldnt have the smithin skill to make it. Maybe the creativity stat could help him try to make a base version.

Last edited: May 2, 2020
  18. Andrew Lynas

Andrew Lynas Level 17 (Theurgist) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

87%
    xp:
    Zone:
    UK
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    He could probably make a Sling from clothing scraps or animal hide, if course he'd have to Learn how to use it.

19. Dragon

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    You have found: High Tensile Wristshot Schematic
    Durability: 3/ 9
    Schematic Class: Unusual
    Schematic Level: Superior
    Weight: 0.4 kg
    Traits: This weapons Schematic allows you to create a wristshot. Wristshots are primarily kindir weapons that allow for greater base damage (+ 1), faster firing (+ 10%) and greater accuracy (+ 10%) than a standard slingshot. The high tensile nature of the weapon further increases its damage by
    (+ 2). It is also easily concealed. If used by a Kindir: + 10% skill progression to Slings Base Damage: 6-8

Kong, Aleron. The Land: Predators: A LitRPG Saga (Chaos Seeds Book 7) (Kindle Locations 16257-16258). Tamori Publications, LLC. Kindle Edition.

The kindir do not seem like they'd have the crafters or the resources to produce something this advanced. Which means that while the kindir are all grateful for Richter's generosity in giving them the schematic, the gift really costs him nothing as their leaders will no doubt request the production of a number of slings to arm their people, putting the schematic right back under Richter's control. Had he offered them a hundred slings based on the schematic instead he would have had to bear the cost, now the kindir will be the ones paying him to arm them.

20. Dragon

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I doubt you can craft a high tensile wrist slingshot from animal hide without tools. Besides, a high tensile wrist slingshot most likely wouldn't use animal hide for any of the important parts.