Blueprints, Templates, Recipes, Schematics, etc.

Discussion in 'Debates & Discussions' started by Johan, Apr 27, 2020.

1. Waterhobit

Waterhobit Level 12 (Rogue) Citizen

80%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    So a bit of a correction. The copper rings that Daven creates are technically considered items. based on the template for Ring of Health. "Requires: A copper ring (Item Quality: Above Average or better)" These, however, are not magical in nature and are a simple component used to create the magical item, Ring of Health. These are the only rings that we see Daven make, and we see no evidence that he is able to create magical items using his profession or other skills.

Richter told Daven to start making copper rings and cutting common stones so he could practice his new Template.
    Kong, Aleron. The Land: Predators: A LitRPG Saga (Chaos Seeds Book 7) . Tamori Publications, LLC. Kindle Edition.

Its also stupid that Aleron couldn't stay consistent with the spelling of this guys name. Half the time it's Daven and half the time it's Devan. A simple search and replace could have fixed this.

Do you have any evidence that suggests Devan/Daven is able to create magical items?

I'm willing to bet that the crafting profession is required to add additional enchantments. I imagine talents that allow for a 2nd enchantment to be added during creation. Or for the enchantment required by templates to be substituted with another enchantment of the same spell school.

2. Johan

Johan Level 18 (Magician) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

83%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    To me it seems that the only thing that Devan/Daven does no do to the ring is add the enchantment. So is an item that is made to hold enchantments, but not yet enchanted, magical? I suppose not. But if the material bonus can be added as a trait, then yes it is magical.

3. Dragon

Dragon Level 19 (Enchanter) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Magical materials have traits of their own, regardless of what form they are put into.

So yes a nonenchanted item could be magical. Enchantment is just one of several ways various enhancements can be added to an item. Natural traits, traits from spellcrafting (the sprites do it with wooden armor, i'm unsure whether they are using enchantments or some other technique), Runes, gems, imbuement, are known ways. You could perhaps also grow/ alter materials before they are crafted, enhancing them or altering their base traits, it hasn't come up yet.

The plain cobber rings are not considered magical however. I'd hazard a guess and say he cannot add magical enhancements, but he may be able to enhance and direct what is already there.

4. Johan

83%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    What do you mean he cannot add magical enhancements? are you implying that he cannot add a magical enchantments "fortify health" that is needed to make the rings of health that were constructed.

5. Dragon

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I mean enchantments, runes, gems, imbuement (?) and other means of magically enhancing items/ materials. Adding fortify health would be one of the things he cannot do, leaving it up to Richter to do the enchanting part.

On the other hand the traits of the material should be unaffected by the crafting process - magic in magic out -, possibly with him guiding the natural traits into something desirable (talent: Crafting magic, allows you to refine the natural magics of materials as long as it follows the nature of the material and power(s) in question).

6. Johan

83%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I think I misinterpreted who "he" was. You were talking about Devan/daven not Richtær.

7. Dragon

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    My bad. I should have been more specific. Its a bad habit.

8. Johan

83%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    the traits of the material should be unaffected by the crafting process...i believe this is could not be the case. An example is steeping a frost giants leg bone in glacial water, even though neither are magical, the end result will be effected. But maybe the definition of magic material is wrong, and any item with a possible use is magical. But I think not, because even mundane components can be combined to create an item with a enhancement. Such as a backbone and glue from the same person, crafted into a knife will have extra properties. Even more will be added when it used for a single purpose or steeped in an amount of magic over a period of time.