Blurb Critique Thread

Discussion in 'Works in Progress' started by Paul Bellow, Aug 18, 2017.

1. Paul Bellow

Paul Bellow Forum Game Master Staff Member LitRPG Author Shop Owner Citizen Aspiring Writer

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Does it need a bit of backstory of what happened in the first book? What is an Enthralled? Not shabby, tho!

ETA: What I've found works best for blurbs (for me personally) is writing them FIRST. Then, keep polishing as the novel comes together. By the time you get to the end, you should have a really strong blurb that's gone through a few changes.

2. Prax Venter

Prax Venter Author of Enthralled and Irrelevant Jack LitRPG Author Citizen

76%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:

(TAKE ALL COMMENTS WITH A GRAIN OF NOOB SALT!)

I like it. Totally see the Pokemon Go connection. One nitpick I have - as I was reading it I hit a speed bump and had to go back and reread:

"... saw a lunatic wearing strange brass goggles, swinging an invisible sword ... "

I obviously understand what is happening there, but maybe "waving his fist around"(?)
    The nitpick is not a deal breaker.

I would also maybe change two lines:
    "Some enemies, however, aren’t creations of the game at all. Every player is racing toward the same goal, which some will use any means to attain."
    to:
    "As every player in the city races towards the same goal, Jacob learns that some of the most dangerous enemies aren't part of the game at all and will use any means to win."

Hope this helps! Remember, only you know what's best for your creation.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2018
    Paul Bellow likes this.
  3. Prax Venter

76%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Well, here's the thing. No one should be reading book 2 before book 1.
    An Enthralled = Tamed, Party member, etc... and if someone reads the first book, they'll get that.

I guess the real question is: Should I write my Book 2 blurb for people who haven't read book 1?

Paul Bellow likes this.
  4. Paul Bellow

Paul Bellow Forum Game Master Staff Member LitRPG Author Shop Owner Citizen Aspiring Writer

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Probably not?

5. Prax Venter

76%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    There are also plot twists and spoilers I don't want to blow by giving away too much.
    To quickly get you up to speed; In B1, Mark basically builds his party and finds the parts for a unique device that they use in B2.

Paul Bellow likes this.
  6. WarbVIII

WarbVIII Level 6 (Footpad) Roleplaying Beta Reader Citizen

78%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Less is more,sometimes.

Paul Bellow likes this.
  7. Joshua Mason

Joshua Mason Steam Whistle Alley LitRPG Author Beta Reader Citizen

76%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I like it, thank you. The waving the fist around bit sounds like an old man trying to get the kids off of his lawn. I need a better way to describe it methinks. Maybe... a sword that didn't exist. I dunno.

Prax Venter, Paul Bellow and WarbVIII like this.
  8. MrPotatoMan

MrPotatoMan Level 13 (Assassin) Citizen

35%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Pretending to wield a sword that nobody else could see perhaps?

9. MrPotatoMan

35%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Ok so this might just be for some people but when I read a blurb for a book later in the series I want some spoilers not saying whats going to happen in the book just talking about some of the last book.

I mainly read blurbs on later books in the series because I haven't read the series and want to hear more about whats going to be in the book which can decide me on the book because of this I recommend you add some catchup on what was in the last book and talk about some things you havent talked about in the first blurb but dont write directly to a new reader.

Paul Bellow and Prax Venter like this.
  10. Bonnie L. Price

Bonnie L. Price Level 6 (Footpad) LitRPG Author Citizen

43%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Blurbs are evil. This is what I'm currently using, and it's a new style for me. Looking for ways I can improve it, or even confirmation that it's working as-is. lol

Gods, demons, and heroes. Typical MMO fare—or so I thought.

When my guild dragged me into Jeriskyr Online, I expected I’d be playing the latest VR game. Nothing could have been further from the truth. You see, the gods like to trade people. Chosen by the gods of Jeriskyr and betrayed by my own, I found out that this virtual world is all too real.

Now, I must choose between my own people and a cocky incubus.

It should be an easy decision, yet I find my loyalties torn between the tyrannical and backwards Issradian Empire, or the oppressed demon kingdom, Nabyr-zahn. To embrace injustice or betray my own race.

Or maybe I’ll just burn it all down.​

KTHanna and Paul Bellow like this.
  11. Paul Bellow

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Not shabby. Most blurbs are usually in present tense, I believe. Helps put the reader into it more?

When my guild drags me into Jeriskyr Online, I figure I'll be playing the latest VR game. Nope.

The gods stuff is a bit clunky? Might just be me. My first thought. What gods? Then you mention gods of Jeriskr. But I still know nothing about them.

You throw a lot of detailed info at the reader at the end - ie Issradian Empire and demon kingdom Nabyr-zahn... As a reader, I'm thinking, why should I care about either of these places?

Maybe...

Instead of easy decisions, I find my loyalties torn between two warring empires. Should I embrace justice? Or betray my own race.

That version is more generic, but it leaves the reader wanting to learn more about the "two warring empires" maybe?

Last line is great!

HTH!

Note: Feel free to disregard all my advice! Hopefully others will chime in.

12. MrPotatoMan

35%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    As always This is my opinion on the matter not some fact so take what I say with a grain of salt especially as im no expert.

This line feels a bit clunky I think its mostly because of the and it slows down the pacing.
    My advice is to add something more like this
    Gods, Demons, Heroes Just your average MMO or so it seemed

Ok so I have no idea how to pronounce Jeriskyr which makes reading it feel strange for a blurb I honestly reccomend you just refer to it as a New MMO or something I know its a bit strange but Any difficulty the reader has with your blurb risks turning them away. I find LitRPG authors tend to overuse the name of there world in the book how often do you hear people saying earth its like saying someones name a bunch in conversation after the first time its implied your talking to them no need to keep saying there name when you address them. (chosen by the gods of earth vs chosen by the gods) If like in your book its a different world and both are mentioned in the blurb just say the god of this new land or the god of the game.

Why is this line in here I have no idea who said incubus is. Why must the MC chose is this being forced or something elaborate a bit? I should also point out you repeat the exact same line in the next paragraph (mc) must chose between (own) and (other) sure its midly different wording but it feels repetative its the same choice after all

This comes down to taste alot but I dont like the use of loyalties the MC dosent owe loyalty to the demons atleast nothing thats stated here. Also introduceing the kingdoms here isnt needed the important thing I think you want to get across here is the choice not the names of things so leave them out they dont add anything. "what should be an easy decision turns into a choice between supporting tyranny or betraying my own kind for demons"

Paul Bellow likes this.
  13. Paul Bellow

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Tougher Mobs. Deeper Dungeons. Better Loot.

Sarah, Eric, and the rest of the party are determined to do better on level one-two of the Tower of Gates. Magi Inyontoo is back and stronger than ever, intent on stopping them.

The risks that come with adventuring are great, but so are the rewards. As they journey and meet new player characters, they hear more hints about escaping the game.

Can this ever-changing group of adventurers find and complete the level’s main quest? Or will they finally find a way out of the game? Find out inside.

This is a full-length LitRPG novel. It is part of an ongoing series of connected LitRPG books in the Tower of Gates series. Previously published as Human. Rewritten, expanded, and edited.

Be brutal, please! ;) ::PAL::

14. MrPotatoMan

35%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    So for me personally I find its hard to mess up a mid series books blurb. My only recommendation is say a little of what happened in the previous book for any new readers who want to see the direction the series is taking for example if i want to see if by book [x] what direction the series is gonna take before i invest myself in the series I typically look at the blurb but atleast for me i almost never look at a books blurb if i already read the first unless im on the fence about the series.

Paul Bellow likes this.
  15. Paul Bellow

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    This is GOLD, my friend. Thank you.

16. Paul Bellow

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Tower of Gates Book 3 - HERO

Tougher Mobs. Deeper Dungeons. Better Loot.

Eric and Sarah venture into Level One-Two of the Tower of Gates, determined to escape or at least survive. While trying to unravel the secrets behind the disappearance of the dwarves, they run into even bigger mysteries. Can they defeat the black dragon (or even find it) and clear the zone? Or will they succumb to all the dark forces working against them?

Last edited: Jun 6, 2018
    Prax Venter likes this.
  17. Prax Venter

76%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    You had me at, Tougher Mobs. Deeper Dungeons. Better Loot.

Other than that, I'd say the parentheses part is unneeded.

Paul Bellow likes this.
  18. Paul Bellow

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Josh the Barbarian

When Josh dies on Level One-One of the Tower of Gates, he's given an opportunity to work with a powerful player in the game. He reluctantly accepts, setting off a series of truly unfortunate events.

Follow Josh's journey as he strives to stay alive and find Eric and Sarah. Leaping from one bad situation to another, Josh learns that even brutes need brains to survive.

Brute is a Tower of Gates Supplement Adventure that takes place during book 1 and 2 of the main Tower of Gates series.

19. Prax Venter

76%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:

My gut reaction advice is to strengthen or change the phrase, "he's given an opportunity" - Maybe, "jumps at the chance," or something. But if it's an opportunity why is Josh reluctant?

The whole second line is gold, especially: "Josh learns that even brutes need brains to survive."

Hope this helps!

Paul Bellow likes this.
  20. Paul Bellow

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Josh the Barbarian On His Own?

When Josh dies on Level One-One of the Tower of Gates, he jumps at the chance to work with a powerful player in the game. Is it the right decision? All he wants is to get out of the game.

Follow Josh's journey as he strives to stay alive and find his friends. Leaping from one bad situation to another, Josh learns that even brutes need brains to survive.

Brute is a Tower of Gates Supplement Adventure that takes place during book 1 and 2 of the main Tower of Gates series.