Bone trove in Denmark tells story of 'Barbarian' battle

Discussion in 'The Tavern' started by Paul Bellow, May 22, 2018.

1. Paul Bellow

Paul Bellow Forum Game Master Staff Member LitRPG Author Shop Owner Citizen Aspiring Writer

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Thousands of bones from boys and men likely killed in a ferocious battle 2,000 years ago have been unearthed from a bog in Denmark, researchers said Monday.

Without local written records to explain, or a battlefield to scour for evidence, experts are nevertheless piecing together a story of the Germanic people, often described by the Romans as "barbarians" for their violent nature.

Four pelvic bones strung on a stick were among the remains of at least 82 people found during archaeological excavations at Alken Enge, on Denmark's Jutland peninsula, indicating an organized and ritual clearing of a battlefield, said the report in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences.

The site, which has been studied since 2009, has yielded the earliest discovery of "a large contingent of fighters from a defeated army from the early first century AD," said the PNAS report.

Bone trove in Denmark tells story of 'Barbarian' battle

09b48ac07ac5266c93c3d51dfae8d06b4a5bbdfd.jpg

Viergacht likes this.
  2. Paul Bellow

Paul Bellow Forum Game Master Staff Member LitRPG Author Shop Owner Citizen Aspiring Writer

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
  3. Chris Marchant

Chris Marchant Level 6 (Footpad) LitRPG Author Beta Reader Citizen Aspiring Writer

85%
    xp:
    Zone:
    EU
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I leaned more to to Bronze Age to early Medieval on the archaeology side, and the ancient history was restricted to greek and roman, which was a pity as I'd always loved egyptian.

I did cover Environmental Archaeology as one of my options. During that we did cover bog bodies, and I actually went to London to see Lindow Man in my summer holidays. Managed to lose my university scarf, musty have left it in the B&B.

I have since given talks on bog bodies, and used them in my flash fiction story The Sacrifice, although that was set in late Iron Age/Roman times.

Paul Bellow likes this.