Book with Female Elf Lead (I'll think of a title later)

Discussion in 'Works in Progress' started by Alara Branwen, Sep 15, 2017.

1. Alara Branwen

Alara Branwen Level 11 (Thief) LitRPG Author Citizen Aspiring Writer

20%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Back in the saddle again. The start to my fourth book was slow. I had to shake off the rust of a three day vacation and it wasn't easy, but I finally managed to do it and got a few decent words in. The beginning of this book didn't have the emotional impact I wanted it to have, but I had to do a trade off between telling an actual story and waxing poetic. It took a little while to get into the actual gameplay and I don't want my readers to suffer through thousands of words of verbage just to get into what they want to read about (the adventure).

Today's Words: 5,756
    Total Words: 5,756

I won't have as many words tomorrow as I have something to go to but I should be able to make progress. Once edits are done with my book I will probably stop writing and make all the necessary changes and get it out (please send condolences to my editor she's working very, very, very hard on that near wreck of a book).

I'm a lot more into this story than I was the last one. Cautiously optimistic is how I am now. I'm interested to see how I entwine my MC's real life problem with the game. Here's to another adventure.

2. Felicity Weiss

Felicity Weiss Musey Muse Muse Shop Owner Citizen

62%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Oregon
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    *glass clink*

Eden Redd likes this.
  3. Tom Gallier

Tom Gallier Level 15 (Guardian) LitRPG Author Citizen

19%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Ah, shucks, you had me with "Female Elf Lead"

An Elfmaid's Tale (A LitRPG Roll in the Hay with a busty elfmaid of easy virtue tale)

There. I got you a title.

Paul Bellow likes this.
  4. Alara Branwen

20%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Hehe I love that title. Maybe not for this one but that would be interesting to try. Fun fact, the character that stars in this novel was one you really liked before.

Words: 3,846
    Total Words: 9,602

Today was a lazy day because of a D&D game I play on Saturdays. Tomorrow I should be able to lay down more words. I am trying to get as much of this book done so I can have a foundation to work from before I need to start the rewrites on my third novel. I'm making solid progress and my story is going in the direction that I want it to go. It's going to require at least one rewrite for it to do what I want it to do, but for the most part I'm pretty satisfied with my progress.

Paul Bellow likes this.
  5. Kidlike101

Kidlike101 Level 18 (Magician) Citizen

25%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    you had me at female lol!

that's alot for one day though, go Alara!!!!

Felicity Weiss and Paul Bellow like this.
  6. Viergacht

Viergacht Thunderdragon LitRPG Author Roleplaying Beta Reader Citizen Aspiring Writer

94%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Yah, I'd definitely like to see more female leads! I know there's the stereotype of gamers being guys but just about all of my women friends & my one sis are super into games.

Brian Simons and Paul Bellow like this.
  7. Alara Branwen

20%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Today's Words: 5,924
    Total Words: 15,526

Another good writing day. I'm tired as sin because I only got three hours of sleep last night. I wrote in a caffeine-induced haze. But I reached by daily goal and built a good foundation for the book. Thank you guys for your support. I thought female leads were fairly common in LitRPG. Guess I was wrong? In case anyone was interested I'm actually not writing this to capitalize on some kind of vacuum. I had this idea for a novel for a couple of months for the background of one of my side characters. I wanted to flesh her out and explain how she got where she is since I did her little justice in my first novel.

But it's time for me to switch gears. My third novel is back from the editor and I need to sweep through and add/clean up some stuff and get the cover made so I can push it to market as fast as possible. If I were truely insane I would try to do that and finish this novel by the end of the month, but something tells me that wouldn't be too wise.

Well, time for an early night. Hopefully I can start going to bed earlier so I can wake up earlier and get my work knocked out by the morning so I can take care of everything else I have to do in the evening.

8. Alara Branwen

20%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    The book that this was initially supposed to be took a different turn so I turned it into a side project. However, I started this project again and I currently put down about 18,000 words on it in the past three days. Sorry I haven't kept up but more updates will come.

Eden Redd and Tom Gallier like this.
  9. Alara Branwen

20%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Today's Words: 3,452
    Total Words: 21,703

Today I was stuck on a chapter for three hours. That hardly ever happens and by the time I'd gotten to the end of the second chapter it was 10:00 PM. I normally don't stop until I'm past 5,000 words but today I figured I'd give myself a break. I made progress today so I'm not complaining.

Eden Redd likes this.
  10. Dawn Chapman

Dawn Chapman Level 11 (Thief) LitRPG Author Citizen

18%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Nice, yeah I like Female Leads, one of mine is also an Elf :) can't go wrong. keep it going!

Eden Redd likes this.
  11. James G Patton

James G Patton Horrific Pun Master LitRPG Author Citizen

81%
    xp:
    Zone:
    CST
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Haha, I'm writing a female elf lead too. Although mine is a made up elf race. She is pretty cool.

Eden Redd and Felicity Weiss like this.
  12. Alara Branwen

20%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Awesome! Well I hope you have fun writing that book James!

Dawn: I enjoy doing female leads as well. The biggest thing that I'm afraid of is that the one I have will be viewed as "not strong enough." Thing is she is working through a pretty big problem in her real life so she isn't going to be super strong at first, though she does get there.

Words: 5,549

Total Words: 27,252

Now we're talking! I had a good writing day and it definitely boosted my spirits. Though, I was brought down today but the shooting that happened in Las Vegas. My thoughts and prayers go out to those who were harmed or killed in the tragedy.

My main character overcame her first obstacle in the novel and now has to face her biggest one yet. I am not sure how she is going to do this so I need to do a little more outlining. That is probably going to cut into my writing time tomorrow, but I want to make sure I have my story plotted out before moving onward. The story is really starting to take shape and I'm excited to see where it will go.

Eden Redd likes this.
  13. Alara Branwen

20%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    "Forget it. I slept late and I'm not going to write today. Besides, I have a lot of outlining I need to do for the next part of the book and I feel tired. I don't think I'm going to be able to do any writing anyway," I said, before throwing down 4,664 words. That brings my total to 31,916.

I was going to skip writing today for the reasons mentioned above, but I knew exactly what I wanted in my next two chapters and I figured I would go ahead and strike while the iron was hot. I think I am about halfway done with this story and I'm ready to start outlining the next half.

Eden Redd likes this.
  14. Alara Branwen

20%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Today's words: 5,638

Total Words: 37, 554

Yesterday was an emergency so I wasn't able to write anything. I put the pedal to the medal today but I'm a bit behind. Hopefully, a little weekend writing will help me make up some lost ground.

15. Alara Branwen

20%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Words: 5,206
    Total Words: 42,760

16. Hakaishin

Hakaishin Level 7 (Cutpurse) Citizen Aspiring Writer

62%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    You can color me intrested. LitRPG with female leads are a rare thing, so kudos to you for putting more of it out there. I can speak from experience when I say that the sterotype about gamers being guys is kinda dumb...I know several girl gamers, and while yes, some of them are more casual, one of them went from being level 1 to being the 10th most powerful player on her server in an MMO in a bit under a week....and without exploiting any pay2win features I know of despite the fact she's actually from a fairly wealthy family. So needless to say, you had me at "female elf" protagonist....and your making me want to re-visit an old story I had with a female lead who played a female nekomimi character in a game she helped create. (and ends up having to defend from cyberterrorists/terrorist hackers, for reasons too complex to go into without a wall of text.) Thanks.

Either way, great progess, and keep up the good work!

17. Alara Branwen

20%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Thank you very much for the kind words Hakaishin. I feel they are underrepresented as well, though it wasn't the sole reason I wrote the story this way. I'm a little worried how this story will do, since I didn't write it to market. However, it's a story I want to tell. I have finally finished the rough draft (took me a couple of weeks with a few days off to keep my sanity) but the rough draft is finished. After the grueling task of doing some additions and editing, I should be ready for publication by the end of the month (fingers crossed). I know there are some crazy good girl gamers out there. I dated one, though that didn't end well for reasons I won't go into here.

That brings me to my stats for the past two days.

Words for the past 2 days: 7,321

Total Words: 55,577

DONE!

Now for the rewrites and edits...

18. Tom Gallier

Tom Gallier Level 15 (Guardian) LitRPG Author Citizen

19%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    You da man! Congrats. 55k is a healthy length for any book.