Bugbear timeline - how long before the invasion?

Discussion in 'Debates & Discussions' started by Dragon, Sep 25, 2020.

1. Dragon

Dragon Level 16 (Paladin) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

58%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    After a quick reread of the epilogue of book 8, I realized the bugbears weren't just returning plants for a batch of potions, they mean to grow a sufficient supply to keep an army in the field for an extended time.

That means that they need to get the plants in the soil, magic them for rapid growth, and turn them into potions before they get the army marching.

Considering that even with HM around the mist village needed to supplement their supply of herbs for the cauldron with wild herbs in order to get ready for the battle with the lich (just a single battle) its probable the bugbear herbalists will need significantly longer. Maybe as long as a month to build up sufficient stocks?

Andrew Lynas likes this.
  2. PokemonThug

PokemonThug Level 13 (Assassin) Roleplaying Exiles Citizen

8%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    One should remember that HARVEST of ze MIST ROOT is only available like 2X a month during half moon or something?!
    So super easy to kill the alchemist and leaders.. then poison the potions.. harvest bears for the Dungeon.. SEND RANDO!

So Bugbears knew the potion secret at most [0-16] days(considering month is ~30d and 1 day to brew is needed)

Last edited: Sep 26, 2020
  3. Dragon

58%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    True, but the regular part of the plant, including seeds, can be harvested at all times. Once they've been planted its just a question of digging them up at the right time.

Still, this should cost them some extra time. Not sure how often the moon in question is up though, there are a lot of moons.

The countdown started after book 8 when the bugbear scouts returned with the plants they had gathered.

4. PokemonThug

8%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I think the plants are present in the entire forest not just the MV area.
    I think they have already harvested enough.. though.. for quantity production perhaps its not enough to go and pick flowers from the forest.. though starting a gardening enterprise seems a bit far fetched.. yet depending on amount needed very likely.

I though bugbears were only scouting for scouting reasons, not for picking up herbs.. Since when do the scouts know herbalism?

Last edited: Sep 27, 2020
  5. Dragon

58%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    That would be a basic skill for a scout. Not only would it allow them to recognize edibles while on the move, often a scout would be out looking for resources for the tribe to harvest. Unlocking the gathering skills so they'd recognize what they see seems like a given. Its a few days to a week of work, and they'd be able to mark down locations for others to seek out later.

Andrew Lynas likes this.
  6. PokemonThug

8%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Scouts were scouting in the Mists. Not gathering mist root or whatever.. same reason why they did not attack Alma.
    I bet their goal was to monitor the area/ find out where is the MV located..

Captain BlackJack likes this.
  7. Dragon

58%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    They were each carrying a giant sack filled with plants.

Andrew Lynas and ShoughtLoud like this.
  8. Captain BlackJack

Captain BlackJack Level 14 (Defender) Exiles Citizen

49%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I just recall some harvesting while others scouted. They were already using the salve. I don’t think they needed that much more for the whole army. I thought they were just putting the icing on the cake.

9. Zentor

Zentor Level 8 (Thug) Beta Reader Citizen

90%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    My guess is in 2 books. Or most likely at the very end of the next book just as Richter arrives back at Mist Village.

ShoughtLoud likes this.
  10. Dragon

58%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Wrong ;)

They have gathered enough plants for experiments with the salve leading to an enhanced version that the scouts now use. But they need many, many times more to supply the army with sufficient salve.

A thousand or more bugbears will need a lot of salve per day. The bugbears won't be planning for a knockout battle(they don't know much about the village, other than that there is a trench, the probable location of the village and that there is a Dungeon), not if they remain the semicompetent foe they have been thus far. They will hope to take the village on day one, but they won't move before they have sufficient salve for at least a few weeks. Running out within the mists is a death sentence, they won't be able to escape and the villagers can pick them off one by one as they get seperated.

11. PokemonThug

8%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    can you find a quote for this? I am not having much luck on it.. perhaps have outdated version of the book

12. Dragon

58%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:

13. Captain BlackJack

49%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Actually it said that the scout was only there to scout. That was why he didn’t shot Alma. He reapplied the salve and talked about it being even stronger. They had gathered three satchels and they said that should be more then enough.

It was in the prologue that AK published.

14. Captain BlackJack

49%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    A small army is all I think he has. It seems like he wasn’t wanting to wait on the rest of the bugbears or the alliance. I think he was seeking all the glory.

Andrew Lynas likes this.
  15. Dragon

58%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    The prologue of book seven is so juicy in detail on the enemy :)

1) The bugbears regard the entirety of the forest as their goal.
    2) They have been occupied fighting other factions such as the sprites of the HT, high elves, wood elves, gnomes and various beastkin tribes.
    3) The mist village is a low priority target because it isn't actively aggressive and therefore they can be focused on later when greater threats have been taken down. The recent raid on the nearby ashstalker encampment must have been attributed to the sprites, not unreasonable given that charged arrows were used.
    3.5) The alliance has not realized that there is an alliance between the mist and the tree.
    4) Grim'ault views his position as a humiliation. I agree with @Captain BlackJack that he is eager for glory.

16. Dragon

58%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    5) At this time the alliance does not have the power to crack the HT. Though its implied that that force will come to the forest eventually.
    6) There are multiple armies involved in the current alliance. We know of four races involved: Goblins, Hobgoblins, Bugbears, and drow. The goblins (Ashstalker faction) are currently engaged in a 3-way war against the temporarily unified kobold tribes and the eaters.
    The bugbears are busy fighting the numerous smaller surface factions.
    As for the Drow and the Hobgoblins, we don't know much about their current motives. Members of their races seem to be actively participating in the war.

The kindir mentioned that orcs are also aggressively pushing into new lands. Its possible that orcs are a fifth alliance member.
    I personally think the Druegar are a likely sixth member, if only for the chance to wage war against the other dwarf kindreds.

I imagine the alliance is also pushing into the firetip mountains, which would explain where the missing alliance armies are. Geographically speaking it makes a lot of sense, and we know there are many orc, goblin, and hobgoblin tribes in the mountains. A certain Duergar blooded dwarf tribe could also be an issue.

17. Andrew Lynas

Andrew Lynas Level 16 (Paladin) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

52%
    xp:
    Zone:
    UK
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Just because Mordera(sp) is a Drow and was working for/with the Bugbears doesn't necessary mean that the Drow as a Racial Group are part of the Basilisk Alliance, some might be working with them for money or similar. The same for HobGoblins, although its more likely that they are. After all most BugBears aren't that good at Magic so they would need to have someone(/race) that is working for or with them.

(The BugBear Scouts was in the Epilogue of Monsters not a Prologue.)

Last edited: Sep 29, 2020
  18. Captain BlackJack

49%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I would have thought the Druegar would be fighting their way out from under and around the firetip mountains. For some reason perhaps a D&D past makes me think the Druegar often work with or serve fire giants.of course AK might not have any fire giants living in the firetip mountains.