Castle fortifications

Discussion in 'Debates & Discussions' started by Dragon, Jul 18, 2021.

1. Dragon

Dragon Level 19 (Enchanter) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Since we've had some clashes on this subject in the past, I thought this would be interesting.

2. Mister Bill

Mister Bill Level 16 (Paladin) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

39%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Neat points. Thanks!

Dragon likes this.
  3. Dragon

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I'm still thinking a vault of storage would make for an amazing addition to a fortress. Similar to a bag of holding, just far, far more internal space. Food storage, ammo storage, wealth storage, the applications are endless.

With the right preparations a fortress could hold out far longer.

Mister Bill and Drasius like this.
  4. PokemonThug

PokemonThug Level 17 (Theurgist) Roleplaying Exiles Beta Reader Citizen Aspiring Writer

52%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I believe we now finally do have a storage shed no?
    Also the City hall can hold stuff.
    This storage room should be added to the PoP? we do have rooms there..with titan steel doors, heavy metaly doors wighing 500kg (good 200 weapons and armour), guarding nothing..

Mister Bill likes this.
  5. Joe Schmoe

Joe Schmoe Level 14 (Defender) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

72%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    The dungeon gives him access to a universe worth of resources. Just needs an entrance thats inside the walls so they could access it during a siege.

Mister Bill likes this.
  6. Captain BlackJack

Captain BlackJack Level 16 (Paladin) Exiles Citizen

84%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Well if you are right and the only place he could put his new entrances to the dungeon is around his village he could place one in his ruined keep. I believe with access to his dungeon that way he could use his dungeons treasury to store food and other such things.

Other then that would you be suggesting he use His magic core on his Keep??

If so where should he use it?

What would be the most desirable use of it?

Or are you thinking Ricther has the ability to magically enhance premade rooms with the bag of holding inter dimensional magic? I like the thought but I believe it would be better if Ricther could learn the inter dimensional storage spell like the Hearth Mother and Heman used. That way he would have access everywhere he goes not just at his village.

7. Captain BlackJack

84%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Drag, I didn’t know you make your own videos?

Dragon likes this.
  8. Dragon

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    That sparks a thought: Are Dungeons open during wartime? Or are they inaccessible, to prevent their use for the purposes of war? I mean an entrance route straight into the keep opens all sorts of military possibilities for both allies and enemies.

I'll probably ask this over on the fanpage.

9. Dragon

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    If only :)

Shad is actually really knowledgeable about the middle ages. Just take the things he says with a grain of salt.

10. Captain BlackJack

84%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    No doubt they are always open to eating. Wasn’t it said you didn’t want to incur the wrath of the dungeon? I mean you don’t want any permanent dungeon debuffs. Wasn’t that what it came to be you basically become cursed by the dungeon.

Mister Bill likes this.
  11. Captain BlackJack

84%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Yeah, I enjoyed his spotlight for the first 15-20 mins before I fell asleep. I agree with him castles are great for defending but none of them are invincible.

It’s to bad he didn’t have the Dukes of Hazard comparison of attackers hitting wooden fortifications.

It was mentioned that they were glad the Alliance hadn’t had time to build fort works out of stone. Honestly I believe wood fortifications with earthworks would be better for defending in a hast especially against exploding arrows and fire. Castles failed miserably when cannons arrived thus we came to the pinnacle with stone and earthworks. I have always wanted to see some of the early American works with angles granting over lapping kill zones.

early american stone and earthwork fortifications - Google Search

Like I said originally fortifications still only buy you time.

Mister Bill likes this.
  12. ShoughtLoud

ShoughtLoud Level 18 (Magician) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

81%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Agreed, though I imagine someone in the past or in the near future will have/had the monumentally stupid idea that they can be compensated enough to make it worth their while to never enter a dungeon domain again

Captain BlackJack likes this.
  13. Dragon

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I do not disagree. Fortresses buy time, they buy opportunities. They are defensive, not offensive.

But the reason fortresses can buy time is that fortifications act as a force multiplier. A 100 attackers storming a castle vs a 100 man garrison is almost always going to end with the attackers getting hammered on the way in, when they try to cross the walls with ladders and when they run away.

Alternatively the aggressor can siege the fortications in order to starve the defenders out, try to undermine the walls, use siege engines etc. These things takes weeks or months, sometimes years.

As you rightly point out, fortresses cost the aggressor time. Considering time is one of the most important resources in war, that is not a bad thing. While they are stuck sieging, the defending side can gather resources, troops, allies, wait for the seasons to change (in many places you really don't want to be laying siege during winter) and so on. Which the aggressor cannot allow.

Hence they often split their army, leaving behind sufficient troops (usually far more men than the garrison has) to siege down the fortifications and keep the garrison from raiding their supply routes.

14. Dragon

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    The reason they don't want them to use stone fortifications is likely the extremely high defense stat those walls have. I'm not sure you can compare them to what we had on earth. Also most low tier magic is lower range than bowmen.

15. Captain BlackJack

84%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    A very vindictive person might consider waging war against his enemy with the intent to destroy his enemies dungeon. I think the issue is at what point does the dungeon realize it is war? Ricthers Dungeon being capable of having an unlimited amount of adventurers could make it difficult to recognize. I would think the party size would still play a major role. Even with the party size intact a good commander could possibly lay out his plan of attack allocating all his squads or parties specific goals in order to overcome a dungeon. To that point when would the dungeon realize what was going on and when would it sound the alarm to defend the dungeon?

16. Captain BlackJack

84%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    What would be deadly is if Ricther could teach his golem to imbue his hurling stones. If I were Ricther I think when I returned to the village I would make a heavy storage satchel of holding for the golem. Then I would have some iron throwing balls made for the it.

17. Dragon

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Well it supposedly summons the rocks it throws. Assuming those can be altered it could work.

There is still a range issue though similar to the one lowtier mages face, so the current golem probably won't cut it as an improvised siege weapon. Maybe if Richter maxes his talent (meaning the next golem will have the same level as his skill level) and pushes the next golem up another tier or two by relying on Alma, the pop and the ability to pool mana with a weaker enchanter, it will be able to outrange the defenders.

Though if its a level 50+ fourth tier golem I might just load it onto a trebuchet and fling it over the walls.

Mister Bill likes this.
  18. Captain BlackJack

84%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Has the story line stated it’s throwing range? It seems as if it would be pretty powerful now. Didn’t it throw a rock clean through a worn and into another? I would expect as the golem levels up it will get stronger and bigger. That will play a huge roll in adding distance to its capability now.

19. Andrew Lynas

Andrew Lynas Level 17 (Theurgist) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

87%
    xp:
    Zone:
    UK
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I was just thinking yesterday that unless Enchantments, Runes or Magically Resistant Materials was used in the Building of Fortifications then regular Earth style Medieval Defences might be vulnerable to a well prepared attackers with Magic Users with the right Spells or Crafted Magical Siege equipment. Some additions of more Modern Defences might be needed to help against things like that, along with stuff especially made for anti Magic Sieging.

20. Dragon

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    There is a calculation for its range. Its pretty bad for a level 19 tier 3 golem such as Richter has, but better for a level 51 which he would have if he maxed the talent.

Hurl Rock (unlocked at Rank 3) – Ranged attack that allows golem to summon a small boulder to hurl at an enemy

Damage: Attack*Golem Rank + Golem Level
    Range: Golem Rank*10 + Golem Level*3
    Cost: 30 Stamina (golem has 575)
    Cooldown: 4 minutes

Some discussion has been had about whether it means feet or yards. As others have pointed out it mentions yards in a different range calculation for the stomp attack, so that's what i'm assuming.

A level 19 tier 3 golem would have a max range of 87 yards and an attack of 49. The village wall has 40 defense.