Caulder - undead monstrosity or passed on?

Discussion in 'Debates & Discussions' started by Dragon, Apr 4, 2021.

1. Dragon

Dragon Level 19 (Enchanter) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Following his death caulder became this.

The warband slays him, sending him to respawn. He needs eldritch energy to do so, but can otherwise respawn infinitely.

I think these two quotes are interesting.

This is after the building is destroyed.

This is a bit later on.

So we know that Caulder's soul was bound to the mausoleum guardian and it needed eldritch energies to regenerate. Following its final destruction Caulder's soul would be free. What would happen if the Mausoleum guardian survived the fall of the building is unknown, but its possible it would be fine but no longer able to respawn without a new source of eldritch energy.

Assuming that's the case, its possible that after Richter left Caulder's bones the first time the guardian managed to gather just enough power to resurrect itself and leave. Alternatively the bones were blown away by the explosion, explaining them being missing later on.

So there is at least a chance that a rogue mausoleum guardian is wandering around out in the tunnels, trapping Caulder's soul and using his skills.

ShoughtLoud likes this.
  2. Johan

Johan Level 18 (Magician) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

83%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    The mausoleum was still standing right?

This was after the building was destroyed

I would think those bones are not his, but it is hard to say. Based on the two attacks by Richter they seem to reconnect very quickly and Richter was fighting the Litch for a long while or so it seemed. All I know is that there a lot of skeletons around.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2021
    Mister Bill likes this.
  3. Johan

83%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    What I don't understand or agree with is that the Eldritch energy stopped giving power to the bones, before the blast. I suppose it was because the Litch was dead...but I do not like that.

4. Dragon

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Yeah the sudden cutoff is odd. Might be a cooldown after it absorbs enough energy and till the skeleton is reanimated.

Drasius and Mister Bill like this.
  5. Andrew Lynas

Andrew Lynas Level 17 (Theurgist) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

87%
    xp:
    Zone:
    UK
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    There might very well have been enough time for Eldrich Magic to reBuild/Resurrected him as an active Mausoleum Guardian but then once Singh was Killed Caulder might have temporary have become Dormant as a Mausoleum Guardian (or something similar) since there was no one Commanding/Controlling the Mausoleum and once once the Mausoleum was Destroyed its possible that his Soul was Freed from the Mausoleums Control and he became a Free Sentient Undead (or could become Sentient again after some time passes)(?).

Captain BlackJack likes this.
  6. Dragon

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    As I read it his soul isn't in control, its a trapped entity being used as an anchorpoint for something elze.

Even if he becomes free he would perceive the world through the warped perception of the eldritch magic that gives him life.

7. Captain BlackJack

Captain BlackJack Level 16 (Paladin) Exiles Citizen

84%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    My understanding was that Caulder’s personallity was destroyed with his abilities intact his body transformed. When he was killed his soul was used to anchor him to the plane. Then his skeletal remains became the guardian. His soul anchoring him to the plane tied him to the plane so he would be resurrected there instead of having a afterlife somewhere else.

The lack of vissual eldrich energy in my mind was due to the power of the lich being gone. With Singh dead their was no massive source to fill him so fast that it would shine. It could be that there had been enough ambient eldrich energy in the mausoleum and surrounding area to resurrect Caulder given time. That area had been saturated with ambient eldrich energy for so long it has to be glowing with it. Not saying it was like the rivers of Eldrich magic that flowed from Singh.

It could be that given time an eldrich powered skeletal guardian might walk back to the MV via the Sepulcher passsage. Caulder had sworn an oath to Ricther that he would serve him. He also swore to return to fight for him again from his afterlife.

8. Johan

83%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I would have thought the building would have kept powering the Guardian. It seems that even though the core building was still around, it was already dead. This is needed to explain the difference in the sarcophagus, from core building to separate component.

Not sure why Richter couldn't have grabbed the bones if they were right next to the sarcophagus.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2021
  9. Andrew Lynas

Andrew Lynas Level 17 (Theurgist) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

87%
    xp:
    Zone:
    UK
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    It occurs to me that the reason that the Mausoleum Guardian was being Powered by Eldritch Magic was due to Singh being the Master of the Mausoleum rather then it Specifically coming from the Mausoleum, which would mean that once Singh was Killed the Mausoleum was most likely not having Eldritch Magic channelled into it anymore, and so Caulder would likely have started to be Powered by more regular Necromantic Energy/Magic(!?). It might have taken a little while to switch over, especially if the Mausoleum had to try and Purge the Eldritch Magic out of itself and Caulder first?

10. Captain BlackJack

84%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I thought according to the curse If his soul is anchored to the plane not the building and he was only being recharged by the Eldrich energy coming from the mausoleum the guardian would only need another source to charge from. If the mausoleum were destroyed it could have given the guardian its freedom. Hopefully there is enough ambient eldrich energy radiating from there to slowly bring the guardian back. A cursed mausoleum guardian freed to resume a quest which was once a sworn oath to return from the dead to serve the master of the MV.

Hmmmm

Ooooo do I ever wonder?

Could it Be?

That everyone swearing an oath at the Mist Village utter such words that will all them to be brought back from the dead? That is likely where all the risen dead come from. Each oath adding to the sound of the clicking and clacking coming from the Mist.

What other specific type oaths could we see in other kingdoms?

11. Johan

83%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    1. Name: [It = The skeleton = Mausoleum Guardian = This Undead]
    2. Disposition: Hatred
    3. [Mausoleum Guardian] is formed from a savaged corpse cursed by eldritch magic.
    4. The [Mausoleum Guardian] grows stronger the longer it is exposed to eldritch energy and,
    5. [Mausoleum Guardian] will remain on this plane indefinitely,
      1. using the soul of the slain as an anchor.
    6. [Mausoleum Guardian] traps its victim’s soul,
      1. tormenting [the victim's soul] until this creature is destroyed.
    7. [Mausoleum Guardian] retains all the:
      1. skills [that Mausoleum Guardian's victim had in life]
      2. abilities [that Mausoleum Guardian's victim had in life]
      3. qualities [that Mausoleum Guardian's victim had in life]
      4. expertise that [Mausoleum Guardian's] victim had in life.
    8. If destroyed,
      1. [Mausoleum Guardian's] will continue to feed off the eldritch energy in this building until [Mausoleum Guardian's] is resurrected.
    The eldritch glow inside of the coffin flared and a tether of the same neon green energy appeared between the skeleton and the sarcophagus. Analyze showed Richter that the skeleton gained a level in just that first instant of contact, and it grew two inches in height.

Kong, Aleron. The Land: Predators: A LitRPG Saga (Chaos Seeds Book 7) (p. 2054). Tamori Publications, LLC. Kindle Edition.

So yes, the curse (set up by the Litch) with eldritch magic, anchors the soul to the plane. It gets Eldritch magic from the sarcophagus (part of the core building), that it uses to level and resurrect.

Will the soul still be bound to the plane if the core building is destroyed, i think so. Even if we have a final death notification for Richter that he destroyed the creature, the bones will still be an anchor and a conduit for the tormented soul to return, like the other bones that were found with Jorgen. In the least a cleansing will need to be done, if (and or not if) the Mausoleum Gaurdian was not resurrected. Assuming that resurrecting is what the bones were doing when they were reforming after being smashed by Richter.

Another question is if Richter freed the spirits that fought on his side and were trapped inside the mage staff? He destroyed it, but the sprits might have been destroyed already

Yet another question: why were the skills, abilities, qualities, and expertise that Caulder had not showing up in the stat page of the Mausoleum Guardian? Richter could see at least the skills of the soul eater.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2021
  12. Dragon

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    The spirits seemed to have been banished.

As for destroying souls, its hard to tell how difficult/possible it is.

Mister Bill likes this.
  13. Johan

83%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    We have seen a banished spell by Alma with the death night, what the Litch did seemed like a capture spell or absorb

ShoughtLoud likes this.
  14. Johan

83%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    So I like the idea of Caulder coming back spiritually to help Richter.
    Maybe another death body can be claimed by Caulder.

When Richter does cleanse Caulder’s bones (unless vaporized), maybe Ricther will get a spirit coin. It can be used anytime Ricther wants the nearest Kinder shook really hard or killed.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2021
  15. Mister Bill

Mister Bill Level 16 (Paladin) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

39%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Maybe they could buy him with points from the kindir village.

16. ShoughtLoud

ShoughtLoud Level 18 (Magician) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

81%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Maybe he comes back as a kindir with an insatiable need to put his hands in others pockets. Not to steal anything just put his hands in and leave them. Don't know if this would be funnier still connected to his undead arm or if he physically leaves his hands in their pockets and goes on like nothing has happened

Mister Bill likes this.
  17. Johan

83%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    maybe a kinder constable were he is a kinder and has to prevent kinder from steeling.

18. Dragon

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    That's an easy job as kindir don't have the concept of theft. That's something other races try to force upon them.

19. Captain BlackJack

84%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I look forward to Caulders return via the Sepulcher or its passage way to the old Mausoleum. I haven’t reasoned how Ricther could cleanse him of needing eldrich magic to power his life force. I can see the Sepulchers powers perhaps replacing the Eldrich magic. What I can’t see is the HM or many others being okay with Ricther having a eldrich powered guardian.

20. PokemonThug

PokemonThug Level 17 (Theurgist) Roleplaying Exiles Beta Reader Citizen Aspiring Writer

52%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    All I know is Clauder was not shoved into a bag of holding...

Actually bags of holding are pretty good way to kill OP monsters f.e. incapacitate the Litch with banshee scream. Also use some sort of protection vs sound backlashs.. then use something to bind him momentarily and just shove the bag of holding over his head and close it. thats it.

You have bagged the Litch and now can loot all his shit. Super safe super solid. Incapacitated - yes. Dead maybe.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2021