Concept: LitRPG Horror (Existential/Psychological Horror)

Discussion in 'All Things LitRPG' started by Yuli Ban, Oct 1, 2018.

1. Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban Level 18 (Magician) LitRPG Author Citizen Aspiring Writer

18%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    So I just considered this over on Facebook. There's a discussion going on about how pain is treated unrealistically in litRPG and gamelit works, that people seem to be far too tolerant of experiencing otherwise traumatic levels of pain. What's more, a lot of the technologies on display in litRPG and gamelit seem to be ripe for abuse.

Think.

• Players, admins, and rogue AIs can hack the game to stop you from logging out.
    • FIVR can cause you to experience time dilation, such as having one hour IRL becoming six hours in-game.
    • You can not only experience pain but also have your perception of pain altered to be lowered— or increased.
    • You can respawn endlessly.
    • Magical and technological abilities will affect you in different ways, such as forcing you to lose control of yourself or experience psychosis.

Just think. How might a sadist abuse this? LitRPG is literally in an amazing position to exploit the horror genre, but I can't think of any major litRPG deconstructions or horrors. I don't mean "survival horror"— there are plenty of those. I mean something that reads like a dystopian psychological horror.

If no one minds, I might take it up and write a solid 100-page novella with this concept...