Cores, Potions, & Everything Magical

Discussion in 'Debates & Discussions' started by Captain BlackJack, Sep 30, 2020.

1. Andrew Lynas

Andrew Lynas Level 17 (Theurgist) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

87%
    xp:
    Zone:
    UK
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    There's probably a Blood Talent or Blood Spell for that.

Captain BlackJack likes this.
  2. darkenedstar

darkenedstar Level 15 (Guardian) Exiles Citizen

20%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    There is one very obvious enchantment for weapons with blood magic. Vampiric strike/life leach. However blood mana would make an enchantment that restores mana by damaging an enemy ( a variation of vampiric strike).

we could also take a cue from kate daniels, and add in blood armor, blood edge, and blood barrier. Though those would be spells

Last edited: Oct 22, 2020
  3. Captain BlackJack

Captain BlackJack Level 16 (Paladin) Exiles Citizen

84%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I would like to see Ricther come by or find a magical compass. A magical compass with a compartment where anything could be placed and then the compass would point toward that type of thing or creature. That could be a huge help in finding bugbears, goblins, or even the much searched for eaters. Ricther might even use some of the dungeons striated blood stone to locate any bloodstones that aren’t warded in Yves.

4. 2tymes

2tymes Level 11 (Thief) Exiles Citizen

8%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Haven’t been on in a while and didn’t go through all of the posts. (So forgive me of this has been said) but as with all things, what happens if he drops the heart crystal in the well of offering. If he drains most for settlement points and put the crystal in the well. I would imagine it would be a resource rather than loot. But as a physical manifestation of a pop I would think the powers the PoP represent would be awakened on a major scale in the dungeon.

For example the HT heart crystal would definitely represent life magic more than the root. Probably a waste but we never know how unlocking a magic fully in the dungeon affects the dungeon or Richter. It may make him a Master of said magic. Then he can unlock said magic in his people.

plus the dungeon can tell the difference between strong and weak potions, enchantments etc. maybe he shouldn’t drain it initially. Maybe a level 2 ley line would provide more pure magic

5. Andrew Lynas

87%
    xp:
    Zone:
    UK
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    There's probably several types of Blood Magic Scrying and Dousing Spells that can Track &/or Locate Types of Creatures or Individual by having a Blood Sample. And most other Types (Basic and otherwise) if Magic would have some Scrying, Dousing, Locating and Tracking Spells, although Life and Earth Magic may have the most numerously useful for finding Living Things and Minerals.

There are probably vastly numerous types of Locating, Tracking and Scanning Items that exist in The Land. Also Skills, Talents and Abilities as well.

6. darkenedstar

darkenedstar Level 15 (Guardian) Exiles Citizen

20%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Other items i would like to see make an appearance in the land. Figurines of wonderous power (instant battle pet), well of worlds (one way gate anywhere), and immovable rods (cause f**k gravity)

Last edited: Oct 24, 2020
  7. Captain BlackJack

84%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    That should make it that much easier to make a compass.

Andrew Lynas likes this.
  8. Captain BlackJack

84%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I can see Ricther ridding through the woods at night trying to out run some greater force. When instead of riding into a tree limb he hits an immovable rod that he placed their two days earlier.

9. Captain BlackJack

84%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Why haven’t we seen Ricther enchant magic wands? We have seen him enchant rings and weapons. With the magical trees harvested to make the scholars table and tablets he should have plenty of materials left over. He should still have parts of the goblet tree as well.

I would think making wands would be faster then forging metal for enchanting weapons. They might not be as durable nor as useful but the still help. The faster enchantments would also level him faster.

Ricther might be required to purchase a special talent for making wands if so he needs to pony up. It could be similar to ring crafting and he might need Specific talent for spell storing.

Either way Ricther needs to get on with it. The advantage of being able to craft a wand of almost any type would have helped tremendously in the catacombs. Even a wand of healing would have helped while Ricther helped the Orcs fighting against the worms.

Dragon likes this.
  10. Albatross1873

Albatross1873 Level 9 (Burgler) Exiles Citizen

78%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Wands would likely come from crafting and there just hasn’t been the option yet to unlock anything for them in his enchanting skill trees. I would guess it just hasn’t been worth it for the time it would take (yet) to open this up in the story. I mean Richter has barely scratched crafting so it’s likely coming in the next 3 books or so.

11. Dragon

Dragon Level 19 (Enchanter) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Because Richter doesn't know how to make wands. His skills are as a weapons and armor enchanter, assuming said weaponry/ armor has been forged. He also has tried enchanting rings and he has gained a talent allowing him to create bags of holding. Beyond that he remains a novice.

As a genneral rule lowlevel spells have had low range thus far. The wands we have seen had a similar limitation on range. That's not to say they couldn't make for a good secondary or self defense weapon. Stun wands have great potential if you want to get out of a bad situation without putting anyone in the ground as well as for law-enforcement. Just think of that scene from the Harry potter books where Mcgonnagal is struck four times in the chest. She went down after one, but the others ensured she stayed down.

That said, i'm not convinced they would be all that useful on the battlefield.

Andrew Lynas likes this.
  12. Captain BlackJack

84%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I would agree that they must be cut out then enchanted to cast.

13. Captain BlackJack

84%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Dude did you read my post?

I totally agree! I don’t believe it’s a big game killer. I do believe Ricther could make them faster then forging out iron. It would definitely help him bring his skills. Ricther is an enchanter that doesn’t mean he only enchants one or two things. Ricther can enchant anything. He might need to work on it a bit or invest in talents as I stated above.

Stun wands, healing wands, lightening, fireball, curse, freeze wands, wands that cast shields all of them have their own use and or purpose. Brass knuckles aren’t good for ranged combat either. Wands do help because they don’t necessarily use any mana they might only need charges. In a battle anything that can slow someone down or redirect them can help. I could see them being used as a supplemental weapon like a side arm.

Andrew Lynas likes this.
  14. Andrew Lynas

87%
    xp:
    Zone:
    UK
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I suspect that he is already has the skills to be able to create Spell Wands and Staves, but would have to be shown how to do so by someone first, or at least get a Schematic/BluePrint for how to make one. Once he knows how to make one he should be able experiment in order to possibly make others?
    It's also likely that similar to his Trapping Skill where once he got to a certain Rank he could add Spell effects to them once he gets to a certain Rank in Crafting he might be able to add Spell effects or Spells to Items (as well as Enchanting) or that it's a Sub-Skill in Crafting.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2022
  15. Captain BlackJack

84%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    He very well might have the skills. If so all he needs are some wands. I bet they don’t take a fraction of the time a forged weapon takes to make.

16. ShoughtLoud

ShoughtLoud Level 18 (Magician) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

81%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    It just doesn't seem all that attractive for Richter. From what we've seen they either reduce the cost if spells or allow the casting a spell for someone who's spell list is full due to having maxed their spell count. He's got reduced cost from water mastery, a massive pool from stats, and no limit on the spells he can learn. They don't seem like a big draw for him

17. Albatross1873

Albatross1873 Level 9 (Burgler) Exiles Citizen

78%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    ‘The draw would be if it allowed his non-magic users to increase their potential. I mean it would be a game changer if they could have their weakest people on the walls and able to cast strong magic.

It is something that could wreck the balance of the land which means that there are likely some decent barriers put in place.

18. Captain BlackJack

84%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Would it really need to be strong magic?
    I think it would be determined as to how the wands were enchanted. A wand or staff could work as a focus granting any magic user substantially more powerful magic and as a result they would conserve more mana. A wand or a staff could be magically enchanted with a spell and the user would need push his mana through it in order to cast that spell which is great if you have mana but don’t know the spell. Magical items such as wands and staves could have static charges for specifically enchanted spells or they could be imbued with a higher magical energy that could grant near unlimited energy. A magically enchanted item with charges would need to rebuild its charges at some point or it would just become a stick in a fight. The most powerful of items would be imbued magical items. Those items would be crafted from something containing very powerful natural magic. Body parts and blood of angels or demons. An eye or an ear of a god would definitely be powerful but they would come with a very heavy cost. Needless to say that many people would be more then willing to kill you for that item. Imbued items would likely cost you part of your soul or the lives of your loved ones. You might even find yourself fighting for your mind as the item tries To poses you.

Really Ricther just needs to crunch his crafting and enchanting skills. If he could create a wand of face planting for non magic users it would make a big difference. People couldn’t run at you or away from you if they kept falling on their face.

Andrew Lynas likes this.
  19. Hmmm

Hmmm Level 8 (Thug) Exiles Citizen

58%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I think another major draw for Richter is saving his mana for other spells.

20. Captain BlackJack

84%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I agree, he might be able to use a wand or staff multiple times and never touch his own mana. It would just depend on the type of magical wand or staff he has. Introducing a wand to ever party member would be a great supplement to a war or dungeon party. I could see at least one of them always having a wand that can cast grease. Knowing Ricther he would spam the hell out of a grease wand. If I were able to make magic wands I would have a batarang belt lined with them.