Cover Critique Thread

Discussion in 'Works in Progress' started by Joshua Mason, Jul 31, 2018.

1. Simon Fiasco

Simon Fiasco Bringer of the Avocadopocalypse LitRPG Author Beta Reader Citizen Aspiring Writer

16%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I’ll post a thumbnail when I get back to my computer.

Paul Bellow likes this.
  2. Simon Fiasco

Simon Fiasco Bringer of the Avocadopocalypse LitRPG Author Beta Reader Citizen Aspiring Writer

16%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    75px
    [​IMG]

375px
    [​IMG]

3. Paul Bellow

Paul Bellow Forum Game Master Staff Member LitRPG Author Shop Owner Citizen Aspiring Writer

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Looks good small. Are you going to keep this design the whole series?

4. Simon Fiasco

16%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    If I decide to keep this look, yeah.

Paul Bellow likes this.
  5. Paul Bellow

Paul Bellow Forum Game Master Staff Member LitRPG Author Shop Owner Citizen Aspiring Writer

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Gives it more of a traditional / epic fantasy feel? Travis Bagwell pulls off different covers really well.

If I'd change anything, it would be the lion/tree in the middle ...not sure what to change tho...Good luck!

6. Simon Fiasco

16%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    The "tree" look was completely unintended. If you zoom in close, you'll see that's Matrix-style code making up the lion. I think I've abandoned that for a different, look, though. I've also changed the font (and font color) and repositioned the lighting on the blade.

[​IMG]

Jay, Yuli Ban, Windfall and 1 other person like this.
  7. Paul Bellow

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Much better imho

8. Paul Bellow

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Latest iteration...

roguelike4b.JPG

Jay and Yuli Ban like this.
  9. Alexis Keane

Alexis Keane Level 14 (Defender) Roleplaying Beta Reader Citizen Aspiring Writer

62%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Paul Bellow and Viergacht like this.
  10. Windfall

Windfall Level 18 (Magician) LitRPG Author Citizen

25%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    This looks beautiful!

Paul Bellow and Jay like this.
  11. LWFlouisa

LWFlouisa Roboto Artiste LitRPG Author Roleplaying Citizen

29%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    You had me at Roguelike game. I love those sorts of games. I need to get back into Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup.

---

Since I'm not sure how a double post would be taken, I'll just drop my cover here. This was done by a friend of mine on Wattpad. Note that this isn't the LitRPG, but the prequel to the LitRPG with a different caste, that may or may not show up in the rewrite to Purgatory Road:

[​IMG]

Note that the E emblem is there because I'll be releasing the book under a Copyleft license.

12. David M Zahn

David M Zahn Level 10 (Filcher) LitRPG Author Citizen Aspiring Writer

16%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Looking for honest critiques of this cover I made.

upload_2018-11-19_13-33-0.png

Here is the working blurb for reference:

Death was always something I thought of as a distant possibility until recently. Time had taken nearly everything from me but I was not ready to die. I’m not sure I ever will be. That’s why when the Everlast Corporation announced they would be accepting beta testers for their eternal life program I jumped at the chance to sign up.

Becoming one of the first humans to be digitized and placed inside of an online video game was easy. Learning to live and survive in a hostile world that I knew almost nothing about was a different story. In my new world, I’ve learned that there are worse things than death and if I’m to avoid a terrible fate I must adapt quickly to the strange new mechanics governing my life.

This book is rated M for Mature. It contains: fantasy violence, strong language, strong sexual content, mature humor, and is most likely offensive to everyone.

Paul Bellow likes this.
  13. Paul Bellow

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    ::PAL::Got your armor on? ;)

It's a clean design, but... doesn't fit with most of the genre. There are exceptions to the rule like Travis Bagwell and Michael Chatfield to an extent. However, you want to look like the books that are similar to yours. Covers count.

If you decide to stick with this design, I would work on the main title font. It's hard to read at thumbnail size - the color I think?

Have you thought about buying a premade cover from a designer? @Viergacht has a ton of great stuff. I can dig up the link if you want.

Like I said, clean, but it's not right for the genre.

HTH!

Viergacht and David M Zahn like this.
  14. Paul Bellow

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Looks unclear and difficult to read, especially the title font. I would zoom in on the characters a bit more too? HTH!

LWFlouisa likes this.
  15. Kidlike101

Kidlike101 Level 18 (Magician) Citizen

25%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    @David M Zahn

You should reconsider the cover. It doesn't match the blurb and the fireball in the middle is really bad and I do mean to an extreme here. (sorry)

The digital part in the middle is fine and I get where you were going with it however the torn part should have been an element from the book not a simple beige fill.

As Paul mentioned the colour in (Beta Life) is too close to the beige fill causing it to blend in instead of stand out.

Paul Bellow and David M Zahn like this.
  16. David M Zahn

16%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Appreciate the honesty. I've actually worried myself that it didn't fit completely with the gene, but then I wanted to stand out from the crowd a bit, but it might be too different. That's a tricky balancing act. I've been debating on paying for a cover or making one myself. That's me figuring out how to use the basics of gimp after a few hours.

Do you typically make your own covers or buy them?

Paul Bellow likes this.
  17. David M Zahn

16%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    appreciate the honesty. No need to apologize. I'm just trying to make sure I've give my book the best chance when I publish it and I know the cover is an important part of that.

Paul Bellow likes this.
  18. Paul Bellow

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Yeah, without the audience (or timing advantage Bagwell had in the beginning - ie no real competition), it's hard to "be different" and still sell.

I do both to be honest. I took graphic design in college, so I have a bit of skills, but @Viergacht is the real pro. If you don't have a graphics background (rule of thirds, etc) and are trying to learn gimp, I would shell out the money for a pro cover.

SelfPubBookCovers: One-of-a-kind premade book covers where Authors can instantly customize and download their covers, and where Artists can post a cover and name their own price.

For Tower of Gates, I'm using @Viergacht, and I've been super happy with the results. He might even be able to do something custom for you. I'm not sure.

But, yeah, being brutally honest, I would pay for a cover. Concentrate on your skills (writing) and get help presenting the best package available. We have a thread for tearing apart blurbs too. That's the second most important selling point a lot of times, so you want to make it great. I suck so bad at blurbs. Heh.

Hope all this helps!

David M Zahn likes this.
  19. David M Zahn

16%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Appreciate it, and sweet I'll throw my blurb out there and see what criticisms I get on that too. I know it will likely need to be improved upon.

Paul Bellow likes this.
  20. Viergacht

Viergacht Thunderdragon LitRPG Author Roleplaying Beta Reader Citizen Aspiring Writer

94%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I'd be more than happy to work with pricing or installment paying if that's a concern.

Paul Bellow and Kidlike101 like this.