Cover Feedback - Freehaven Online: Book 3 - Winter Dungeonland

Discussion in 'The Tavern' started by Jun, Jun 8, 2018.

1. Jun

Jun Level 13 (Assassin) LitRPG Author Citizen

95%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Hi all.

I just got my first cover draft for book three from my designer and I'm feeling torn compared to my other covers. It's really different than what I imagined when I described the project, and I'm not sure if my "Meh" feeling stems from it being an actually "Meh" cover, or because it's so different from what was in my head.

What I asked for:
    - Winter collor pallet, specifically blues, whites, and maybe a little silver.
    - Silhouette of a dude and dragon, with the dude looking like he's about to do battle in front of a Christmas Tree.
    - I sent them 3 examples from the image sourcing site that they used with trees that I liked - all cheery colorful.

[​IMG]

My main concern is that I don't feel that this captures the book's whimsical feel. I mean, yes there will be lots of monster fighting and the like, but the major quest is like a holiday event in a MMO which can be lighthearted and fun even if they might require a raid to complete.

I was hoping to contrast the bright holiday cheer of the tree with the dragon and fighting due silhouette, but that didn't happen.

For reference, here's what the first two covers in the series look like. I'm not sure about having the title on the bottom. May want to see about moving the title to the top for the sake of consistency..

[​IMG]

2. Windfall

Windfall Level 18 (Magician) LitRPG Author Citizen

25%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I see what you mean. I think the main problem is that the Christmas tree looks... rather 3D while the dragon looks really minimalistic and 2D?

3. Jun

95%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I can see what you mean, but the dragon doesn't bother me. I never saw it as being an actual dragon but rather a representation of one.

4. Jun

95%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Also thinking about adding a Santa hat to make it more festive.

This is just a mock up, but the designer could blend the colors.

[​IMG]

5. Windfall

Windfall Level 18 (Magician) LitRPG Author Citizen

25%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I like the santa hat!

Jun likes this.
  6. Jun

95%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I just noticed that instead of making a fist, the guy is playing the circle game armed with a longsword. That sounds painful.

Edit, never mind, that's a snowflake.