Cradle

Discussion in 'Not The Land' started by 2tymes, Sep 6, 2020.

1. 2tymes

2tymes Level 11 (Thief) Exiles Citizen

8%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Do any of you read the Cradle series by Will Wight? Probably one of my favorites. If so what’s your thoughts on who’ll win the tournament in the next book. Looks like it’ll be coming out soon

2. Dragon

Dragon Level 19 (Enchanter) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Tournament eh? Well Mc is out so i'm going to say his girlfriend has a good shot at reaching the top ranks.

3. 2tymes

8%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I’m thinking Eithan, I don’t think we’ve came close to seeing the full extent of his power. Part of me wonders if some kind of way Lindon will end up back in the tournament. Northstrider said something along the lines of he will determine the winners.

Did you see the photo of Wintersteel? It’s literally double the size of any of the other books

Dragon likes this.
  4. Dragon

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I'm looking forward to uncovering more of the mysteries of the sacred valley. Honestly I care more about that than the current arc.

Eithan is a good candidate for winner, but I have a feeling he uses unaligned mana similar to Lindon's first core.

5. Dragon

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    On a different note, seems wintersteel is four days from release. Apparently the author is going through a countdown using the earlier books.

6. 2tymes

8%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I saw that he said there was a countdown but I couldn’t find it.

7. Dragon

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    The comments on his site will guide you. Its on instagram and facebook, he is using book covers - one per day.

8. Dragon

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    If anyone is interested in getting all the books for free for kindle, you have 3 days. Rush rush rush XD

Will Wight

9. 2tymes

8%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    You got respect how Will handles his business. I mean comparing him to AK and the missed deadlines and bs marketing. Will seems to be more in tune with the fans of his book.

10. Andrew Lynas

Andrew Lynas Level 17 (Theurgist) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

87%
    xp:
    Zone:
    UK
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    What sort of Stories are they?

11. Dragon

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Cradle has a lot of wuxia traits without "young master" types of various sorts, with a really amazing storyline, a goal that isn't to be a murderous asshole and solid characters, even villains with character. Hell even the villains that really are superficial assholes out for themselves, still feel like they are people rather than props. Lindon is lucky, but he is never arrogant about it and he does work insanely hard for his gains.

There is some very lowlevel romance (possibly harem) going on in the background but seven books in the only love interest that's actually been explored a bit is Yerin.

12. 2tymes

8%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Yeah I would describe it as a well done wuxia. Honestly builds and gets a lot better in the later books. I would suggest audible over the written version, which isn’t always my preference but the narrator smokes these books. (Which is why I’m seeing him narrating everything these days)

Dragon brings up harem, which I can’t call it that, there’s nothing sexual in these books. Even though I get what he’s means as far as potential relationships. I only bring it up because I tend to stay away from the overly horny author who can’t through a scene without the bs.

13. Dragon

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I never meant to imply it was smut relationships for the sake of wish fullfillment, they are a meaningful part of the story. While I agree the Harem genre is flooded (unfortunately as some of the few solid harem stories manage an amazing amount of humor and drama) with garbage, wishfullfiment and mediocre stories, a solid series can contain a harem without it taking anything away from the story. The wheel of time series ranks as one of the best fantasy series of all time, yet it definitely has harem aspects.

haven't gotten the audiobooks yet due to economic constraints, but the free tidbits i have heard were amazing.

14. 2tymes

8%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Let me know what you think when you finish it.

15. Dragon

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I did, yesterday. Still thinking it might just go the harem route. Every harem protagonist of note is against it at first, its the biggest trope in the book ;)

Given that Jerin and the bloodshadow are now one new person - unless they split apart again - technically neither will get with Lindon. Their combined form will. I'm also not convinced the Akura will just let Lindon and blood-jerin walk off without doing everything they can to tie them to the family, they have taken one of the biggest steps to becoming monarchs earlier than anyone else has for millenia.

Jerin also has insight in the sword Icon, it has to be pretty clear to anyone with eyes that she has a really, really good chance of making monarch within a few years.

This book surprised me, I was sure will was going to wringe a few more books out of this arc, instead he jumped ahead.

Next book: the return to the sacred valley

16. 2tymes

8%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Don’t know how to do the Spoiler thing so........

But yeah seems like we’re getting to Sacred valley in the next book and I can’t see how we aren’t in a new world in a least 2-3 books.

The Harem aspect I can see what you mean especially with Jia Kong’s sister coming back into the fold as well. But Will seems to keep the main thing the main thing so I’m not too worried about it.

Yerin progressing to a herald caught me by surprise and I like how the tournament went overall. Like you mentioned before he does a good job at giving meaningless characters depth and backstory.

Seems like there’s a mini 8 man empire situation happening with lindon, Eithen, jerin, and zeel.

And I’ll be curious to see what the Akuras gift Jerin for winning and how they try to tie her and lindon to the family. ( and gift lindon for that matter) all parties have outgrown the black flame empire.)

Also thinks it’s crazy that everybody (main character wise) passed up Mercy in regards of power. Not sure that Lindon ever became an OverLord they didn’t specify so is he a sage underlord?

Last edited: Oct 7, 2020
    ShoughtLoud likes this.
  17. Dragon

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Pretty sure he is an overlord at this point. A sage underlord is an option but I don't think so.

There should be an additional two overlords in the near future, given that Lindon is now sharing power with a giant dragonturtle and little blue. Lindon used their power to advance, I can't help thinking that's going to be a two-way street.

I think they'll head back to the blackflame empire. Eithan especially feels some loyalty to it, and the dragonturtle is insanely loyal, so he definitely won't leave either unless he grows powerful enough to ascend.

18. ShoughtLoud

ShoughtLoud Level 18 (Magician) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

81%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Curious what makes the path to underlord different for orthos than it was for people. Never really got a solid explanation for it, then he was off helping Lindon's sister.

Little blue could go either way, Eithan already introduced soulfire to her, but does that count, since it wasn't 'hers'?

19. Dragon

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Orthos is "people", but he is also a dragon/ turtle hybrid.

I'm not sure there is a substantial difference, Orthos needs to reach the peak of Gold to transition. Its probable that he will need to recognize who he was before he can rise, which is going to be hard since he so soundly rejects his own defining trait of loyalty.

20. ShoughtLoud

ShoughtLoud Level 18 (Magician) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

81%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Orthos is at peak true gold, but I was referring to this bit
    Screenshot_20210108-145430.jpg

Seems like sacred beasts have it both easier and more difficult. Not needing to discover themselves yet choosing a path that will define them for the rest of their existence.