Dark Souls like LitRPG?

Discussion in 'All Things LitRPG' started by mmaccarroll, Jul 10, 2017.

1. mmaccarroll

mmaccarroll Level 6 (Footpad) Citizen

13%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Michigan
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I've read quite a few LitRPGs where the MC starts off weak/underpowered (and sometimes dies) and grows (as all RPGs should), but nothing that felt like Dark/Demon Souls, does anyone have any recommendations?

Matthew James and Paul Bellow like this.
  2. Matthew James

Matthew James Blind Beholder Beta Reader Citizen

38%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    place holder it might take me a minute to find.

edit: 37 minutes later, still couldn't find it...

It was a Japanese WebNovel or Light Novel that had 2 characters get transported from a high skill VRMMORPG with harsh survival requirements to the same world. I stumbled on it when there weren't too many chapters translated, so I don't know how it developed, but starting out the character was "over powered" compared to the rank and file bandits, but not sure how the story developed.

It seemed OP starting out of the gate, due to some items and gear transferring with the characters, but that could have changed with time. Part of the early conflict comes up because one of the 2 characters gets poisoned and in spite of their skill there is nothing they can do but track down the poison user and make an antidote (or something like that).

Want to say the cover art has a girl with a fencing sword / saber, but not finding it with any of the tags on any link page... which is odd. Even the discontinued stuff should show up. It could have had a girls name in katakana in the title like Alice or something, but nothing came up on a search. Maybe someone else knows the one I'm thinking of...

Last edited: Jul 10, 2017
    Felicity Weiss and mmaccarroll like this.
  3. mmaccarroll

mmaccarroll Level 6 (Footpad) Citizen

13%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Michigan
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    That sounds interesting, thanks for looking! The search continues~

Matthew James and Felicity Weiss like this.
  4. Matthew James

38%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Asakust, mmaccarroll and Paul Bellow like this.
  5. Seagrim

Seagrim Level 18 (Magician) LitRPG Author Citizen

35%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Ooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Bookmarked.

Starting to read it and the translation is pretty good too.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2017
    Matthew James and Paul Bellow like this.
  6. Matthew James

38%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    By pure coincidence the episode of the LitRPG podcast by Ramone that I stopped on (ep 33), was an easy to skip one because it featured an interview with an audiobook reader, and ep 34 had ramone mention a "Dark Soul" LitRPG story. However that's Ramone's take and not mine so I'm just parroting him...

Hell's Glitch & The Glitch Fiends

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Looks like both are on KU, and surprisingly the first book has paperback order options.

Bk 1 blurb:

A brand new LitRPG adventure for fans of dark adventure games. Inspired by a dark masterpiece.

Twenty years into the future, an independent virtual reality developer named Fulton Milner creates a VR program that is so immersive that it truly fools the mind. His program, a virtual resort, created such pleasurable immersion that he is soon recruited by a renown games studio. Here, one of Milner's projects, a virtual fantasy game, catches the eye of some investors and he is finally given the approval he needs to begin the project that would define his career. It's a dark fantasy adventure simulator known only as Project DH.

Sam Nagai thought testing videogames would be a dream job until he got saddled with a ton of barely playable mobile games that used very wonky holographic gimmicks. The lack of fun in these games and small pay makes Sam typically reluctant whenever he gets a call for a new gig, but customers for his art commissions have been scarce and Sam needs all the money he can get. He finally gets a call for a new gig with potential bonus pay, but not much else is known about the game itself. From what he does know, it sounds sort of interesting. Virtual reality, dark gothic fantasy world, role playing game mechanics, and uber hard difficulty? Sam's all in for that. After all, even if he gets in over his head, the simulation isn't truly real so there's not really any danger.

Join Sam in a virtual sword and sorcery role playing adventure where the main goal is survival at all costs. It's an adventure that's filled with diverse starting classes, customizable combat options, upgradeable weapons and armor, upgradeable statistics, open ended questlines, realistic NPCs with classically trained voice actors, a dark and atmospheric immersive game world, multiplayer content, eye popping creature designs, and so much more. Players say its the perfect blend of simulation and fantasy, where their imaginations can truly run wild.

**Note to readers: If any of you are sensitive to swearing, then this book isn't for you. There is copious swearing from the main character, Sam, that's mainly played as a character flaw/trait for laughs and dramatic effect.

Seagrim likes this.
  7. Seagrim

Seagrim Level 18 (Magician) LitRPG Author Citizen

35%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I had forgotten about that one. He's a good writer and is on Wattpad.

I remember his stuff got trolled in the reviews by a few clowns who were upset at his using so much of the Dark Souls games in his book. Then he made the mistake of engaging the Trolls.

Matthew James likes this.
  8. Felicity Weiss

Felicity Weiss Musey Muse Muse Shop Owner Citizen

62%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Oregon
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I disliked a YT video once. Ok maybe more than once, however this one wasn't one to be disliked, but I'm a rebel like that. Anywho, the very next video the person called me out for the 1 dislike on their video. It wasn't until that moment I understood the power of the Troll and the giddy feeling of being fed. I decided that such power would corrupt me and so I've never trolled on YT again. /end story

Matthew James and Seagrim like this.