Disenchantment Trailer

Discussion in 'TV and Movies' started by Kidlike101, Jul 22, 2018.

1. Kidlike101

Kidlike101 Level 18 (Magician) Citizen

25%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I didn't know I needed this until I saw it!

Last edited: Jul 22, 2018
    Windfall, Viergacht and Paul Bellow like this.
  2. Viergacht

Viergacht Thunderdragon LitRPG Author Roleplaying Beta Reader Citizen Aspiring Writer

94%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    It looks fun!

3. Windfall

Windfall Level 18 (Magician) LitRPG Author Citizen

25%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Oh, my, do I need to get Netflix now?

4. Viergacht

Viergacht Thunderdragon LitRPG Author Roleplaying Beta Reader Citizen Aspiring Writer

94%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I just pirate everything.

Windfall likes this.
  5. Windfall

Windfall Level 18 (Magician) LitRPG Author Citizen

25%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Or that :D

Viergacht likes this.
  6. Viergacht

94%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Well, you know - no tv, no tv license, and I wouldn't be buying anything advertised in the ads anyways.

7. Paul Bellow

Paul Bellow Forum Game Master Staff Member LitRPG Author Shop Owner Citizen Aspiring Writer

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
  8. Kidlike101

25%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    A dragon after my own heart ;)

9. Paul Bellow

Paul Bellow Forum Game Master Staff Member LitRPG Author Shop Owner Citizen Aspiring Writer

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    My Giphy was from Pump of the Volume which is a pirate radio station if it didn't make sense haha

Viergacht likes this.
  10. Viergacht

94%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I buy books and movies and stuff! Just not these tv shows on places where I have to subscribe.

Paul Bellow likes this.
  11. Kidlike101

25%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Oh boo now your reputation as a bad ass will take a hit. But yeah we don't have these laws (inforced) over here in the middle east either so I get it.

[​IMG]

All hail the queen!

Jay, Viergacht and Paul Bellow like this.
  12. Paul Bellow

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
  13. Kidlike101

25%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I really hate when mouth pieces start spewing buzzwords in hopes of placating the fanbase.

Then again this is the internet. People are never happy.

In all seriousness though if a yellow cartoon character in a show with mallets, anvils and morons is what you want as "a role model for girls" then please stay away from mine.

Can't a show just be fun with interesting characters regardless of gender?

Seagrim and Paul Bellow like this.
  14. Paul Bellow

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Overall, I'm liking it. Two episodes to go. Number eight was really strong. I wonder how many "parts" (seasons) the show will have. Was nice to have them all at once.

15. Paul Bellow

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
  16. Kidlike101

25%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Is it weird that I watched the interview before the show? I just binged half of it today actually :D

It started off with potential and for some reason reminded me of Terry Pratchett's style. The it stopped. I think they just didn't know what to do with the premise after that and resorted to YA shit + Meta jokes. I'm surprised that the one character that actually stands out to me is the mother-in-law, she's clearly a Melania parody XD

Viergacht likes this.
  17. Paul Bellow

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Keep watching. It hits its stride late (ep 8), but it's semi-worth it. I mean, it's not super-good, but it's not bad.

18. Viergacht

94%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Futurama and Simpsons were pretty weak in the first season two, before they started coming up with really solid characters.

I thought it was pretty funny, considering. Definitely has that Futurama vibe - a lot of the same writers and actors from that show. This is both good and bad, since a lot of the voices are a little too familiar. It seems like it's funniest when it is most fantastic, dealing with spells or monsters. Some of the stuff like inbred-swamp dwelling hick stereotypes are pretty stale and have already been done funnier in other shows. And how many younger people are even aware of some of the thingies being parodied - I haven't seen a single reviewer realize John DiMaggio's voice for the king is an Archie Bunker riff, and I chalk that up to most of them being in their 20's and having never watched All in the Family like us olds.

I think my main problem with it so far is that the characters don't seem to have very strong motivations or well-delinated arcs. Bean is supposed to be a rebellious princess who wants to go boozing and partying instead of getting married, but we don't see her being very effectively stopped from doing what she wants to begin with. If her father can't stop her slipping out, what's to assume a doofus husband would? Elfo wants to be experience emotions other than happiness, but once he gets outside he seems to be the cheerful one of the group. And Luci is a devil who is supposed to lead Bean into temptation, but she is doing that pretty well on her own and he ends up being just a diabolus ex machina to get trouble started. It would be fairly easy to fix these weakness - if Bean had been chafing in the princess role and not really busting out of it until Luci tempted her, that would make both characters much stronger. Bean would still be new to the whole boozing, getting high and general acting out and realizing she liked it and Luci would be both fulfilling his job and maybe also beginning to question it as he grows to like Bean. Elfo would be something of an exaggerated version of Bean because he's both more innocent and more determined to be bad, which would serve as something of an object lesson for her.

Also they should reeeeeally ditch Elfo having a crush on Bean. It's kind of creepy since he looks like a small child (changing his outfit so it isn't the exact same color as Bart's would help), the 'oblivious nice guy' has already been done to death with Fry.

Windfall, Paul Bellow and Kidlike101 like this.
  19. Kidlike101

25%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Ok. I just watched it and episode 8 is hands down the best one. Burst of creativity there.

It does have a futurama vibe but the characters lack definition IMO. It's why the mother-in-law stood out to me, She did!

Princess = carefree, fun loving, wants to fool around and damn the consequences.
    Elfo = carefree, princess loving, wants to fool around and is a bit scared of the consequences
    demon = carefree, fun loving, wants to fool around and damn the consequences.

If I play a clip of either futurma or the simpsons as audio only you WILL know which character that is by their attitude. Here they all have the same personality so their roles seem redundant.

Thank you for getting the reference with the king, I had the parody in the back of my mind and just couldn't put my finger on it!

One reviewer actually hit the nail on the head regarding this show when he said "Who is the target audience for this show?"

It's clearly not for kids or a family show. The parodies and even some of the references are too old for teens and YA. The YA shit is a turn off for most adults that seem to be the target of the parodies and reference humor.

I do hope it finds it's footing though, It's different and I do appreciate that and would like more just focused.

Viergacht and Paul Bellow like this.
  20. Paul Bellow

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Yeah, I thought Elfo and the demon were going to be used as like the angel/devil on the shoulders, but they both turned out to have made questionable decisions. Heh.

I'll give it one more season.

The Elfo boxing balls in that one scene was adult. Haha.