Do most LitRPG Readers use Kindle Unlimited?

Discussion in 'All Things LitRPG' started by R.M. Prioleau, Sep 1, 2017.

?

Where do you buy/read your LitRPG books?

1. Amazon (I buy them individually)

75.0%
  2. Amazon (Kindle Unlimited)

83.3%
  3. Barnes & Noble Nook

8.3%
  4. Apple iBooks

8.3%
  5. Kobo

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Google Play

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Other vendor (specify in the comments)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. James G Patton

James G Patton Horrific Pun Master LitRPG Author Citizen

81%
    xp:
    Zone:
    CST
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Right it has to be 2.99 or higher and part of KDP, which puts into KU automatically. If you don't use that I still think you only get 30% regardless of price you use. Just giving you a point of reference for the Russian comment.

So yes, the Russians might be putting their books up for a cost, but they are only making 30% royalties on those. I would like to see their numbers, because I'd be curious to see if they are actually doing all that well in sales. I know I don't buy them, and not because I don't like some of the series, but they have shit editing and almost all of the ones I read had like double or triple space lines and I hate swiping every 30 seconds. So I refuse to pay 5.99 for that crap.

Unless I am just misreading it wrong. Either way I won't change for now, because it has been getting me exposure as a writer. I don't heavily promote either right now because I am more interested in working on my craft, and to be honest, it will take years or a really damn good book, to surpass my day job as far as payouts go. However, I look more at my stuff as a longer term investment. As long as I keep writing, those books will probably still keep bringing in sales for me.

CheshirePhoenix likes this.
  2. John Ward

John Ward Level 12 (Rogue) LitRPG Author Citizen Aspiring Writer

59%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Eastern Time Zone
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I believe that KU is somewhere around 250-300 words per page. I might be wrong, but 400 seems high to me.

R.M. Prioleau likes this.
  3. VRRanger

VRRanger Level 12 (Rogue) Roleplaying Beta Reader Citizen Aspiring Writer

67%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Washington State, USA
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I researched and though it varies it seems to be between 250 and 300

R.M. Prioleau and John Ward like this.
  4. CheshirePhoenix

CheshirePhoenix Crazy Hermit on the Hill LitRPG Author Beta Reader Citizen Editor Aspiring Writer

96%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
  5. Paul Bellow

Paul Bellow Forum Game Master Staff Member LitRPG Author Shop Owner Citizen Aspiring Writer

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Yeah, 2013 was decades ago in publishing-time...This industry has been shifting every 6 months or so since I started around that same year to varying degrees.

CheshirePhoenix likes this.
  6. CheshirePhoenix

CheshirePhoenix Crazy Hermit on the Hill LitRPG Author Beta Reader Citizen Editor Aspiring Writer

96%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Oh. Speaking of marketing opportunities, might be a decent idea to contact Patty Jansen. She runs a monthly promotion where a bunch of authors get together and have a fire sale on sci-fi/fantasy books (usually at 99 cents or sometimes even free). It's the first weekend of every month, generally.

I'm not sure how big the distribution list is, but it's definitely a good way to reach out to new audiences that might not otherwise even think to look for your stuff. I know I've found quite a few gems via her promotions.

R.M. Prioleau and Paul Bellow like this.
  7. R.M. Prioleau

R.M. Prioleau Literary Assassin LitRPG Author Roleplaying Beta Reader Citizen

43%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I love Patty! She's really nice :) I love the things she does for other authors.

8. R.M. Prioleau

R.M. Prioleau Literary Assassin LitRPG Author Roleplaying Beta Reader Citizen

43%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
  9. Matthew Siege

Matthew Siege Level 10 (Filcher) LitRPG Author Citizen

58%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Unless I am way, way out of the loop, being in or out of KU doesn't change your royalty rate for sales. (Okay, it does, because there is some stuff about which territories charge what and VAT and all of that junk) but the basic premise of 30% royalty for books price $2.98 and less and $10 and more and 70% of the proceeds for $2.99 -$9.99.

https://kdp.amazon.com/en_US/help/topic/A29FL26OKE7R7B

Am I misreading the conversation?

10. Kidlike101

Kidlike101 Level 18 (Magician) Citizen

25%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Actually KU is not available for my country, I did get the trial though and it seemed like a nice system...

Issue is KU is limited (I love contradictions don't you!) and although quite a few Litrpg authors use it... not all do or they allow the very first book in the series on KU and you have to buy the rest.

I use Kindle for books that have a limited publication or ebook only format since we can't get the physical book overseas without breaking the bank. I just buy the ones I want individually and if I can get the physical book over here then I'd prefer it (running out of shelf space though!)

11. Tom Gallier

Tom Gallier Level 15 (Guardian) LitRPG Author Citizen

19%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I've seen a lot of books using the block style, with each paragraph a block of text divided by an empty line. That increases the page count a LOT, but I'm not sure if Amazon accounts for that. I don't do it, just because I don't like the way it looks. I want my books to look the same on a kindle as they would in a paperback.

I also use both KU and buy when reading books. I'm on a tight budget this summer, so I'm using KU a lot more than I have been. But a lot of the books I want to read are not in KU.

12. John Ward

59%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Eastern Time Zone
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I just read a comment on FB by Scottie Futch who said that Amazon considers 187 words to be a Kindle page. The fact that he said it so definitively and that he gave a specific number makes me think he has figured it out. He's written a bunch of 100 Kindle page serials. So, it's probably easy for him to calculate exactly how many words there are per page.

13. Paul Bellow

Paul Bellow Forum Game Master Staff Member LitRPG Author Shop Owner Citizen Aspiring Writer

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Nah, it varies depending on a number of factors.

HINT - paragraph size has something to do with it - HINT

14. John Ward

59%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Eastern Time Zone
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Long or short paragraphs?

15. Paul Bellow

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Shorter. I think it has something to do with the page breaks to be honest.

Shorter paragraphs usually keep people reading more for the same reason as shorter chapters... When they're presented with a WALL OF TEXT, they're like "ugh this is work" some of the time.

All that said, I'm sure short paragraphs are only one factor of many - which is why you can't really say 187 (or whatever) is the exact number of words per page.

16. John Ward

59%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Eastern Time Zone
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Huh. Maybe size really doesn't matter. It's all in how you use it, I guess. We're still talking about writing, right?

17. Matthew Siege

Matthew Siege Level 10 (Filcher) LitRPG Author Citizen

58%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    The MASSIVE difference in dialogue vs. "regular" prose is enough to make any hard and fast rule incorrect.

Paul Bellow and CheshirePhoenix like this.
  18. Tom Gallier

19%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    He knows the exact word count of his books, so I probably just divided by how many pages Amazon listed it as. But it's not consistant. I've done the same thing with multiple books and the word count per page was different on them all.

19. James G Patton

James G Patton Horrific Pun Master LitRPG Author Citizen

81%
    xp:
    Zone:
    CST
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I tried to figure out how they calculate pages too, and I got nothing. When I put Office Wars 2 up for preorder, before attaching the paperback book on it, it told me I had like a 130 pages or something. When I added the paperback it jumped to 300, but maybe size does matter... the size of the book I mean. So if I used the 8x5 book and it jumped to 300, I'm not sure what their largest book size is, but say its 11x9 that would dramatically drop the page count, and it might actually be 130 pages.

Just a theory.

20. Tom Gallier

19%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    The thing is, when you publish a paperback book up the number of pages listed are for the paperback, but the sales page's listed number of pages has nothing to do with the KENPC # of pages they pay us for. KENPC is usually a higher page count. I really don't understand the discrepancy, but we're probably being screwed out of money somehow.