Documentary on Ancient Egypt

Discussion in 'TV and Movies' started by Paul Bellow, Jul 9, 2017.

1. Paul Bellow

Paul Bellow Forum Game Master Staff Member LitRPG Author Shop Owner Citizen Aspiring Writer

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
  2. Felicity Weiss

Felicity Weiss Musey Muse Muse Shop Owner Citizen

62%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Oregon
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Throwin' some ancient Egypt time travel fiction that I've recently enjoyed into the mix: https://www.amazon.com/Imhotep-Jerry-Dubs-ebook/dp/B003K16Q3G

Ze blurb -
    "Imhotep" is the first book in a four-novel series about the ancient Egyptian architect.
    Stumbling in the dark of an unfinished tomb beneath the sands of Saqqara, American tourist Tim Hope unknowingly passes through a time portal that leads to ancient Egypt — a time before the Sphinx, before the great pyramids of Giza, and long before the loss of his beloved Addy.
    When he discovers that two other Americans preceded him through the time portal, Tim immerses himself in the ancient world to search for them. As he becomes more comfortable with the simpler, more immediate land, he finds himself irresistibly attracted to the delicate Meryt, a wbt-priestess for the god Re.
    Learning that a seven-year famine has led to a plot to overthrow King Djoser, Tim discovers that his fate, the lives of the two Americans and the future of Egypt rest in the hands of the legendary Imhotep, master architect of the Step Pyramid, renowned physician and intimate adviser to King Djoser.
    Downloaded by more than 100,000 readers, “Imhotep" is the first book in an acclaimed four-book series about the ancient Egyptian architect Imhotep. The second book in the series is "The Buried Pyramid." The third book is "The Forest of Myrrh." The fourth book is "The Field of Reeds."​

Paul Bellow likes this.
  3. Matthew James

Matthew James Blind Beholder Beta Reader Citizen

38%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I've got an Egypt story on the back burner.... I made an outline for a LitRPG story that combines a "Bill & Ted" style universe where all the characters are people in heaven. You die and end up in a big shopping mall sort of place with escalators going all over between floors, and an entire universe of people just walking around drinking Star Bucks and Orange Julius. Then you have the option of visiting the "stores" which are all themed vacations. "God" is a fat santa claus looking guy that wears a hawaiian shirt, all sorts of other gods and beings are present, and if you look up through the sky-lights you can see Life & Death hanging out together while they walk through the universe. The game / "Lore" story is called Life After Life (LAL, which is close to LAWL).

Really only developed it for a stop off in a sort of shared space between games for advanced players, and then I came up with a stand-alone story for a player that wants to reroll as a necromancer in another game, but he's competing with others every server reset for a "Book of the Dead" from the Egyptian / Biblical themed story before he does (never actually worked out the game balance stuff for x-server transfers). Basically Mormons, Scientologists, and Atheist Treasure hunters are in a 3 way war in the portion of time when Moses and all the rest of the characters from the bible were doing the whole plague thing.

The scientologists travel back in time because they believe that time-traveling Mormons destroyed the timeline to "fix" things biblically to make their own religion accurate. The Mormons think others already traveled back in time and made their religion "wrong", thus a temporal religious war breaks out between the two, with regular time travelers (and LAL characters) popping in to cause drama.

Every little themed area is a huge GTA style sand box with hundreds of hours of gameplay, and so the Main Character and a ton of other treasure hunters have mastered all the Egyptian era quests, and they provide guided tours between the free for all beginning of the week server reset, where all the best loot and gear which is the only time that items drop that don't fade after a preset time. However the items are limited to one new item per instance for quests and drops (with random drops meaning low drop chance). The persistent items that people get on the guided tours are good for a limited amount of time (depending on a LAL character priority rating for the item up to a month) and the quests reset very often so most people are repeat customers if they have a character-build that they like which relies on certain temporary items. All players mixing and matching permanent / non-permanent gear, and wearing temporary items in whatever instance they find them in because they are upgrades and common.

The LAL creators roll out a new surprise patch that updates the majority of zones. The patch however arrives in the middle of the week at midnight, and so the tour guide player and his tourists get warped back to the landing area for the zone, and its hard reset with no explanation. The main character ditches the tourists after refunding their money by tearing up his contracts with them, and then races back into the zone.

The story is the character starting out doing his virtual business and explaining his desire (to reroll as a necromancer with a full set of drops from the Egyptian zone), and then navigating a totally changed war-zone where the Mormons have won and the theme changes from blazing guns and raining frogs to a cold war. He realizes very quickly (after over a year of running the same event and never getting his final item), that changes have taken place, and so he plays stealthily while others gain the ire of the Scientologists and Mormons (and Jews who were just added in the patch as a faction). Making his way to the Pharaohs palace, he discovers that the Mormons are recreating the punishments of god as a sort of hammy historical re-enactment, and he sneaks in with the actors trying to get close to the Mormon who has taken over the role of the Egyptian High Priest, and who is also holding onto the Book of Death. The Book of Death being the necro item with massive benefits that he wants, even if he gets sick of his necro he can resell the book and pick or choose any class to twink-out with the profits.

Short story shorter, he plays along to get close to the priest, steals the book to find out its a fake, has to crash the palace armory where all the real non-prop items are kept along with the old Egyptian NPCs in an adjacent dungeon (with subversive let my people go! quests), then he has to make it back to the After-Life mall landing area to save the item to his character and make it unlootable.

Mission accomplished, he arranges for a transfer from a friend to his new character (there are contracts / in-game agreements that guarantees this sort of stuff), and standing around doing nothing with all sorts of awesome necro gear... he ends up playing on the LAL server in the Egyptian era. Mastering all the new quests after spending 90% of the story griping about how much he hated it and never wanted to kill another mummy in a sewer again.

I've got a bunch of short story ideas for interconnected servers that do a sci-fi or fantasy style "Lore" setting with some game elements, and then a VR game-play setting that is all game. The reason I have a half dozen servers with both lore and gameplay stories? Had to have my characters in my main story-line do something after their big blowout story...

So now rather than actually writing and fleshing out my main story-lines, I've got another dozen universes all primarily for the sake of continuing the main-storyline and having it be interesting after an epic finale. Which I have yet to get even half way done for the first book. I have no idea how the real writers get shit done... taking the Adderall I'd need to stay focused would probably fry my brain.

Paul Bellow likes this.
  4. Crowbaits

Crowbaits Level 9 (Burgler) Roleplaying Beta Reader Citizen

62%
    xp:
    Zone:
    England - not New - the old one across the pond
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    There is an English author Paul Doherty, who has written a seven book series set in the world of the 18th dynasty queen Hatshepsut. The author is a teacher and a noted historian and the depth of his knowledge and research mean that the books - which are exciting thrillers - give a huge amount of detail on everyday life in that period of Egypt. The first book in the series is called "The Mask of Ra" and I highly recommend it.

Paul Doherty is a prodigious writer, mostly of historical murder mysteries and if you like that sort of thing (which I do) then I think he's one of the best.

Paul Bellow likes this.